Betsy Layne situation

To: Betsy Layne Fan

I have been gone from the area for quite some time, but I still have some contacts there. You seem to have an insight to the program and its happenings. Could you please answer the question from my previous post about why a lot of the good players have transferred away from BL? Was there any effort made to persuade these kids to stay? I checked on several of these players and here are my results: Honaker twins-starting for Pikeville(class A playoff team) Hamilton and Williams-both started for Pburg (Class AA playoff team) Hamilton- started for Pike Central (AA playoff team) Rice brothers (both started for class 3A power Pulaski Southwestern) There may be more, I am not sure. With these 7 players and some of the others that actually stayed, along with some that quit the team, Betsy Layne might have been respectable. I feel if a quality coach would have been there, some of these players might have stayed. What is your opinion on this situation? Am I totally offbase in this statement? Enlighten me with some info. Thanks

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honaker twins were going to Pikeville the whole time. As for the the rest, I think it has a lot to do with the tradition the other schools have. What I think has left Betsy Layne in general is pride. The transition from grade school to high school is a failure of pride. For the first time, Betsy Layne saw a couple of transfers come in to Betsy Layne like Mike Lachey, Ed Osborne so as soon as pride starts coming back they get rid of the coach. Ed and the rest of the seniors would stay for grade school games and lead them on, which really looked good, that hasn't happened in a long time.

I know some of the parents and grandparents of the aforementioned players and they wanted their kids to be part of the BL program, but not the way it has been in the past few years. In past years, Betsy Layne fans were some of the proudest sports fans I knew of, but it seems they have been beaten down so bad in all sports that they have just given up. It wasn't that long ago that boys basketball and baseball were very competitive regionally. Even football was showing some promise. I would love to see BL get back on the right track, I just don't know if they ever will. Maybe pride is something that is sorely missing there.

Have they interviewed anyone? Whats going on ? Are they going to field a team this year? Are they going to play in a district this year? A lot of qestions, any answers?

Have you lost all contact there, Sportster? You continue to ask questions but your questions make it sound as though you don't know anyone around there anymore(maybe you've just been away too long). Maybe you should contact an old acquaintance there and let them answer your questions. After the first couple of questions go unanswered, it's obvious another approach would be more constructive and, better yet, may just get some of your questions answered. :thumb:

I have contacted some people in the area and no one seems to know. I was hoping that someone on this post which is titled "Betsy Layne Situation" might have some answers. O-line you responded to this even though you didn't have any answers either, so your post actually was worthless. If you don't have information regarding this post, why comment?

I've been on here for quite some time, sportster, and it appeared that you were having some difficulty so I was only offering some friendly advice I've learned during my time on here. Nothing more, and I surely didn't intend to raise your hackles! :thumb: I just didn't think repetition would get the answers you seek.

Bub I don't think there are a lot of Betsy Layne Supporters anywhere. If there was then you would see more people get involved in this topic. No one cares because there isn't a vested interest in the program. The excitement of a program starts at the top. Don't ask people here why they don't want to be involved in the BL head coaching topic, ask the administrators at the school and the county why there is a lack of interest in the program. When John DeRossett was the Head Coach at Betsy Layne they had an administration that was dedicated to winning (Alan Osborne). That dedication turned into excitement for the fans. Understand that point.