Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should Devon Hester make the Hall of Fame?

Featured Replies

He's never been a corner. Don't think that is what PP was getting at. The comparison with Hester is Dion. Dion was one if the best CB to ever play as well as a great kick returner.

 

 

He played some DB with the Bears but he was never that good and he has never been good at WR when he has been on offense.

He's the Edgar Martinez of the NFL. A specialty player with incredible numbers, but won't get the HOF recognition he should.

 

 

Good comparison. I was trying to think of somebody to compare him to in another sport.

So you discount 1/3 of the game?

 

 

I guess. I think there are 3 kickers and 0 punters in the Hall of Fame. It would be different in Hester was good at more than being fast and elusive. He wasn't good enough to play defense, not good enough to play offense, just return kicks because we have to get you on the field. I'm not sure that is enough to convince me. If he makes it in. Cool. I'm not going to carry that flag for him though.

I guess. I think there are 3 kickers and 0 punters in the Hall of Fame. It would be different in Hester was good at more than being fast and elusive. He wasn't good enough to play defense, not good enough to play offense, just return kicks because we have to get you on the field. I'm not sure that is enough to convince me. If he makes it in. Cool. I'm not going to carry that flag for him though.

 

And I don't know if another kicker or punter will make the hall of fame anytime soon.

They discussed this with Cris Carter on Mike and Mike this morning. They all decided he will probably get in but not a first ballot guy. They basically said when you talk about the history of the game, can you tell stories about the history and not include him. They compared him to Ray Guy, a guy who basically changed the game at his position. He will get in, just not right away.

They discussed this with Cris Carter on Mike and Mike this morning. They all decided he will probably get in but not a first ballot guy. They basically said when you talk about the history of the game, can you tell stories about the history and not include him. They compared him to Ray Guy, a guy who basically changed the game at his position. He will get in, just not right away.

 

I can see that. If Cris Carter isn't a first ballot Hall of Famer then Hester definitely isn't. I can see him sneaking in during a slow year.

Hester was originally drafted as a return specialist and a corner, which is probably why he was#23 which is typically not a WR number.

 

He was a DB for 1 of his 3 years in college with Miami. I believe he may have been originally drafted as a corner (hence the #23 with the Bears), but I'm pretty sure he only saw the field as a returner. The Bears started using him at WR his third season.

 

He's been an unbelievable return man, one of the best ever. I don't think it's enough to get him in the hall of fame. If Brian Mitchell can't get in, Hester shouldn't. I know Hester has more TD's but Mitchell could do more on the field.

 

I saw your post to late, but you said exactly what I'm trying to say. He was a corner just not a good one.

 

I guess. I think there are 3 kickers and 0 punters in the Hall of Fame. It would be different in Hester was good at more than being fast and elusive. He wasn't good enough to play defense, not good enough to play offense, just return kicks because we have to get you on the field. I'm not sure that is enough to convince me. If he makes it in. Cool. I'm not going to carry that flag for him though.

 

Rsy Guy was the first punter and made the HOF this year I thought.

Rsy Guy was the first punter and made the HOF this year I thought.

 

 

That sounds right. The site I looked at for the breakdown by position may not be updated.

I don't see him as a hall of famer

 

He'd have to be much better at being a WR in my opinion to get into the hall. Returning kicks, although fun to watch, doesn't eduate to hall of fame for me.

I don't see him as a hall of famer

 

He'd have to be much better at being a WR in my opinion to get into the hall. Returning kicks, although fun to watch, doesn't eduate to hall of fame for me.

 

How about punting balls?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.