September 19, 201412 yr In other words, has all the attention Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson have brought to the issues of domestic violence and child abuse made it "easy" for NFL players to be targeted by wives, girlfriends, children, etc? Politically and in the court of public opinion speaking, can any prosecutors office refuse charges against a NFL player right now? Will many wives and girlfriends of current NFL players use this to their advantage? Looking into your crystal ball, what do the next few months hold for NFL players and the criminal justice system? There you go again, insinuating that most of the women who allege being raped or assaulted may be lying. Yes, some women lie; but that doesn't mean all women lie. Just like some men rape or assault people; doesn't mean all men are like that.
September 19, 201412 yr Author There you go again, insinuating that most of the women who allege being raped or assaulted may be lying. Yes, some women lie; but that doesn't mean all women lie. Just like some men rape or assault people; doesn't mean all men are like that. You are putting words in my mouth. How about answering the question, do you think this will make the group of women that "sometimes lie" (your words) larger?
September 19, 201412 yr We disagree but fair enough. We are probably never going to see eye to eye on this subject; but I still like you. And that's no lie!
September 19, 201412 yr Author We are probably never going to see eye to eye on this subject; but I still like you. And that's no lie! We both agree that some women lie about being abused/assaulted/raped. My concern with this issue is that overzealous reactions from the NFL and legal powers that be may be a springboard for even more false accusations. I will go a step further to say there is no doubt in my mind that more "NFL women" will hold this over their man's head if they feel they are being mistreated in any way.
September 19, 201412 yr To answer your initial question...Maybe The only caveat would be if they accuse their NFL player now in most cases that also dries up the money. Thinking of that, it may end up keeping players from getting falsely accused in some situations.
September 19, 201412 yr It will interesting to see how the policy is rewritten on this. It is complicated no matter what you do. I think it will take more time that it does now and they may add a layer of suspension with pay until they either get a conviction, non-conviction, or whatever else is decided along the process. That is what many public agencies have to do. I believe they will take the Commissioners unanimity out of the equation. I do believe the NFLPA will be the major stumbling block in this.
September 19, 201412 yr To answer your initial question...Maybe The only caveat would be if they accuse their NFL player now in most cases that also dries up the money. Thinking of that, it may end up keeping players from getting falsely accused in some situations. On the other side it could lead some that are abused not to report it, due to financial reasons as well.
September 19, 201412 yr I had a similar thought yesterday. I don't know if it's "open season" per se. But I do wonder about this: If these were employees of XYZ corporation, what is the likelihood they lose their jobs or are suspended immediately, before anything's even been prosecuted. What happens if some of these players are found innocent? As much as I deplore the domestic violence and/or child abuse, what if some of these allegations are completely bogus and an innocent person lose their livelihood as a result? These cases can take a long time to investigate and go through the process to a verdict.
September 24, 201412 yr Author I had a similar thought yesterday. I don't know if it's "open season" per se. But I do wonder about this: If these were employees of XYZ corporation, what is the likelihood they lose their jobs or are suspended immediately, before anything's even been prosecuted. What happens if some of these players are found innocent? As much as I deplore the domestic violence and/or child abuse, what if some of these allegations are completely bogus and an innocent person lose their livelihood as a result? These cases can take a long time to investigate and go through the process to a verdict. What is going to happen is some NFL players are going to being paying out extortion money. Here is a little bit from PFT on the issue: The situation has relevance to the NFL for two reasons. First, Winston likely will be carrying this specific item of baggage with him to the NFL draft in 2015 or 2016. (It’s hard to imagine him hanging around Tallahassee for another year in light of recent events.) Second, NFL players will be facing similar efforts to extort, pry, or otherwise squeeze money out of them, in light of the league’s new focus on domestic violence and sexual assault. Suddenly, the victims of actual, perceived, exaggerated, and/or fabricated incidents of domestic violence have unprecedented power over the NFL players who allegedly engaged in misconduct. Faced with potentially lengthy suspensions with pay before trial and potentially lengthy suspensions without pay after the case ends, NFL players will have a strong incentive to write a check early, and to make it all go away. Which in turn will attract lawyers who receive contingency fees to represent anyone who has the ability to exert that kind of leverage against someone with the resources to make a quick and large payment. Whether the payment is 25 percent, 33 percent, or 40 percent of the gross amount recovered, the best kind of contingency fee is the kind that comes without having to spend hundreds of hours preparing the case for trial and then rolling the dice in front of a judge and a jury. Winston case could be sign of things to come for NFL | ProFootballTalk
September 25, 201412 yr Easy solution. Marry, treat each other with respect physically and emotionally. I feel women may not report abuse due to the consequences monetarily. I also would prefer to let the courts do their work before concluding someone is guilty. We have a system that is suppose to be fair and innocent until proven guilty. That said, I don't know the answer to this p r problem of the NFL.
September 25, 201412 yr Author Easy solution. Marry, treat each other with respect physically and emotionally. I feel women may not report abuse due to the consequences monetarily. I also would prefer to let the courts do their work before concluding someone is guilty. We have a system that is suppose to be fair and innocent until proven guilty. That said, I don't know the answer to this p r problem of the NFL. Great point. I have had this discussion with a number of people and the NFL can't run it's own independent criminal justice system. There will always be inconsistencies and dictatorship. Think of this, most shoplifting (a few hundred bucks and less) and most domestic assaults are the same level of crime (basic misdemeanor) and therefore have similar/same punishment options in the criminal justice system. However, in the NFL I assume nothing to very little would happen to a player charged with shoplifting and domestic violence can put you out of the league. The point is, the NFL is making judgment calls based on money, it is a flawed system that doesn't have a solid solution other than making the NFL system comprehensive like the criminal justice system or just getting out of punishing players for criminal acts.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.