Highlands 63 Ludlow 47

I don't feel the Ludlow boys were worn out, they just do not have a true point guard. Their mistakes were in handling the ball, HHS's press gave them fits, too many layups and breakouts. Some of HHS's problems were also due to the defense that Ludlow was playing, HHS did not seem to have the perimeter game going last night, they had problems with the zone. All in all Ludlow played a much better game than anyone expected, even some of my friends said to me before the game, why are you here? "It's going to be a blowout". Maybe a little too confident! If Highlands does not come with their game each night it will be a short regional with that attitude.

Well, they had 4 kids out there that could have been the point guard. Poe did probably the best job at it. King was trying the best he could....the 2 youngins (Logan & Rouse) looked like deer in headlights most of the night.

How can you have 4 true guards and not come up with a point guard by post season? What Highfield should have done was play a 2 man game on one side of the court with King/Penick... dropping it in low and then kicking it out for the 3 vice versa.

The way to beat HHS is to play a zone and tell them that the only way that they are going to beat you is to hit the outside shot. That was a good Defensive gameplan and when they did get into the interior many shots were altered by the Twin Towers in Hardin/Penick so pretty nice job defensively. They gave up all of their points off turnovers against the press.

I cant understand why they didnt go to Penick more during the game. I thought he could have done more damage. I thought King played a great game spotting up shots and nailing them.

Well in the second half they did go to Penick alot more, but I will agree with you they definitely should have gone to him more in the first half, because in the first half he was pretty much a non factor on the offensive side because he didnt get the ball. I know alot of the reason though why he didn't get the ball much in the first half was because they kept turning the ball over on the press before they even got to there half of the court. If they had a true point guard Highlands might have been in some trouble because it was the lack of not having a true point guard that really hurt Ludlow because that press killed them.

Well, they had 4 kids out there that could have been the point guard. Poe did probably the best job at it. King was trying the best he could....the 2 youngins (Logan & Rouse) looked like deer in headlights most of the night.

How can you have 4 true guards and not come up with a point guard by post season? What Highfield should have done was play a 2 man game on one side of the court with King/Penick... dropping it in low and then kicking it out for the 3 vice versa.

The way to beat HHS is to play a zone and tell them that the only way that they are going to beat you is to hit the outside shot. That was a good Defensive gameplan and when they did get into the interior many shots were altered by the Twin Towers in Hardin/Penick so pretty nice job defensively. They gave up all of their points off turnovers against the press.

That would have worked but they couldn't even get to the half court alot of time to do that 2 man game because they couldn't get pass the press. Yes they have alot of guards but except for maybe Grant none of them are true point guards, and Grant is still real young and has alot of improving to do still. So not really having a true point guard did kill them because once they did break the press they did just fine in the half court game. Actually they played better than Highlands in the half court game on both sides of the ball, it was just that press that killed them

Coach Highfield and his staff though had a great game plan for this game and they did a great job with it. But just not having that true point guard really hurt them against that press and there wasn't really much they could do about it then with out a true experienced point guard.

I actually thought the Birds got a lot of good looks against Ludlow's zone defense, but the guys didn't shoot. I have to think Willie told them,be patient, make Ludlow work on defense, let's wear them down. Which in my opinion did happen. I think Hudy only shot three 3 pointers, but could have taken a lot more shots if he wanted to. Guidugli fired up a several 3's, but passed up a lot more open 3's. Vories and Simpson also passed on some open looks. I might regret typing this, but I hope CovCath comes out in a tightly packed zone and gives us the outside shoot. I like our chances if Vories and Hudy are given open looks. Tough to box out on rebounds in a zone so that helps our chances of getting stick backs.

The 2nd sloppy game of the night at Ryle on Tuesday. In the first quarter, it seemed as if though Ludlow's game plan was working as the game was very close(Ludlow was actually leading for most of the quarter). They played a packed-in 1-3-1 halfcourt zone to make Highlands beat them from the outside. And when the Bluebirds did drive it in the middle, 6'9'' Dan Penick was there to alter shots.

It was a great game until Ludlow starting getting greedy and gave up some unforced turnovers. Then it wasn't much of a game after that. Jeff Vories led Highlands with 17 points and Chase King(who I was impressed with) had 24 points as he hit 4-5 three pointers. Dan Penick ended his career with 11 points, over 10 rebounds and a bunch of blocked shots.

Congrats to Ludlow for a solid season and best of luck seniors. Also good luck Highlands against Cov Cath.

I actually thought the Birds got a lot of good looks against Ludlow's zone defense, but the guys didn't shoot. I have to think Willie told them,be patient, make Ludlow work on defense, let's wear them down. Which in my opinion did happen. I think Hudy only shot three 3 pointers, but could have taken a lot more shots if he wanted to. Guidugli fired up a several 3's, but passed up a lot more open 3's. Vories and Simpson also passed on some open looks. I might regret typing this, but I hope CovCath comes out in a tightly packed zone and gives us the outside shoot. I like our chances if Vories and Hudy are given open looks. Tough to box out on rebounds in a zone so that helps our chances of getting stick backs.

When did you become such a roundball expert??:banana:

Congratulations to Highlands and to Ludlow and best wishes to Ludlows 3 Seniors. All three are outstanding youngmen who will be missed by the Ludlow program a great deal.

-Justin Hardin who has to be one of the most improved players in all of NKY and who is an excellent student. Going to U.K I believe and I;m certain will be very successful.

-Chase King another excellent student in the Top 5 of his class and recently recognized as a Remke Student/Athlete of the Week has provided Ludlow fans with many thrills since his grade school days. Another UK freshmen to be next year we wish you nothing but the very best.

-Dan Penick who will be moving on to Wright State Univ. and is the 1st Div. 1 player from Ludlow in over 45 years we wish you the very best as you prepare to play at the next level. You have been a pleasure to watch the last 4 years.

These three youngmen are excellent examples of what you want in a Student/Athlete and everyone in the community of Ludlow are very proud of them.

Zig... I didnt get a chance to stop over and say hello but I noticed a couple of fellas in Black Ludlow shirts keeping some stats from the stands.....ballcap or no ballcap? which one were you?

Oh and now I know why you have been tooting Penick's horn all year.... I like him, I compare his play to Justin Doellman current X player.

Zig... I didnt get a chance to stop over and say hello but I noticed a couple of fellas in Black Ludlow shirts keeping some stats from the stands.....ballcap or no ballcap? which one were you?

Oh and now I know why you have been tooting Penick's horn all year.... I like him, I compare his play to Justin Doellman current X player.

Big Zig had the hat on.

:D I was the good looking one..Sorry I missed you..Maybe if I get a chance to come to the semi-final game I'll look you up. Not sure yet.

Nice to meet you Raiderback04..:thumb:

BIGZIG,

I hope Benny told you that I spoke with him for a while on Tuesday night and I waited around for a bit and even looked for you up in the concession stands, but didn't see you up there either.

I agree with everyone about Pennick, at least on Tuesday night, as he seemed to stay near the basket both on defense and offense. From what I saw and for what you and others have told me, I think he isn't a true center but more of a power forward type. He is not only tall, but big (in a good way) and I am certain that Wright State will be working with him to improve not only his stamina but also his strength, just like any good college program will do with a young kid right out of high school.

The only surprising thing to me was the lack of Ludlow fans at the game.......Now don't jump on me just yet!:D I just thought the whole City of Ludlow would turn out in mass for the game, and was sort of surprised with the turn out that was there. You had a great group of students there cheering, but like I said, I was just surprised that the whole City of Ludlow wasn't there rooting on the Panthers especially one former Head Football Coach......:laugh:

Good luck to your boys next season, but I think they will miss the current group of seniors a lot, but your girls, they should do very well not only in the District but I really think just might raise some eyebrows in the Region next year.... In fact I would be surprised that won't be in the top 6 or 7

preseasons ranking.....