Best Mayfield Team ????

wildcatjack

If it was an inadvertant whistle I don't think their is an option.You have to play the down over.If that is the rule why was Beechwood given the option and not Murray?Hoptown had to replay the 5th down in 97 vs Cov Cath without given the choice on the inadvertant whitle.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guru,

I should've made it clear in my post that Hergott didn't release the ball until after the referee blew his whistle. The tape clearly shows that.

As for the officials ... yes, they claimed Hergott was out of bounds. In response to a media request, the KHSAA released a statement from the officials (a mountain-area crew) that said the whistle was blown because Hergott was out of bounds. That was reported in the newspaper here.

I don't doubt that Hergott threw the ball in the air in response to the whistle ... it was the officials' mistake first and foremost.

Exactly westsider and that is exactly why Murray's claims of being the real state champs had no basis. The ball would have never been thrown up in the air if the play was not whistled dead. We all make mistakes but if you think about it this was not that big of a deal, Hergott would have either downed the ball or ran out of bounds with the same result.

I was at that game and it was a wild finish. I always thought that the QB for Beechwood was watching the clock and threw the ball up when he saw 0:00, and the whistle came just after that. I have always thought Murray got cheated by a bad call. The officials were just covering their butts because they said they ruled him out of bounds when he was standing right on the L in the endzone and nowhere near the out of bounds line.

BUT NOW, after reading the above explanations, I must reconsider. I have never had the opportunity to review the film with the benefit of sound. If the official blew the whistle as the clock expired BEFORE the QB threw the ball up, then it is a safety, plain and simple. The explanation by the officials stating he was OB would dispel any claim that the whistle was inadvertent.

I would like to see the film, but if it is as reported above, then I agree that Murray's claim is not valid. It's still a terrible ending for both teams because of the contriversy.

I was wondering the same thing snakesnot_2000. However it was my original question that got it all started.

Guru, wasn't 93' a great year. we both got to see our teams win a state title. You offended me however with how you always seemed to say something degrading about Mayfield,or how you seemed to downplay their accomplishments. If that is how you feel then thats ok. You dont like the Cards and I can live with that. I am sorry if I offended you in any way I am not trying to "Get Personal" with anyone here that I dissagree with. I was merely trying to express what I saw.

Southeast Bell, its ok, I know how you like your Yellowjackets. Thats about the way that I feel about the Cards. But I still do give credit to other teams if I feel they were better. you will see that in my posts. I will let you know if you offend me, just ask the guru. LOL.

Bengal, I think that the 95' Mayfield team was better than Hop-town, but I am biased. Truth be known they were two pretty eqaul teams. Another quarter and who knows what might have happened. That was the best game that I have ever watched. Even better than the Beechwood game and we won that one.And yes, that was a tremendously talented Hop-town team. After the game both teams were saying "see you in state" out of pure respect for the other team.

I can answer that question for the two of you.:lol:

Originally posted by MCfan

Now I have a question for those of you who were at the 94' state title game. I heard that the Beechwood QB threw the ball in the air as the time expired and a Murray defender caught it in the end zone. The officials called it a safety when it was accually a touchdown, that would have given Murray the win. That is what I heard. Now please no Beechwood fans answer because YOU ARE BIASED. Only people who were not fans of either team shoud answer unless you can be completely objective. I am not saying this is the truth, just what I heard. I would like to hear the truth.

I still think that Beechwood was better than Murray, a whole lot better. Murray just had an unbelieveable game.