Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Paducah Sun: McCracken DOMINATES Mayfield

Featured Replies

Who?

 

WR/DB, just messin with you! I don't know if it would have made a huge difference, but making the point that we were down 2 starting WR's and DB's bout mid way thru the 4th qtr., plus the linemen we had lost earlier. Just sayin!

  • Replies 55
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems as if Mayfield has never lost a game with a healthy team.

 

I don't know if those players being out lost the game for them or not, but go back through the FEW game threads that they have lost...and it's always due to injuries.

  • Author

Or not gone to OT had that FG been just a foot to the left. I agree, we had chances to win it and should have never dug the hole we did early but we will learn for it and move forward

It seems as if Mayfield has never lost a game with a healthy team.

 

I don't know if those players being out lost the game for them or not, but go back through the FEW game threads that they have lost...and it's always due to injuries.

I guess that's part of being a small school. Not as much depth as larger schools. Not trying to make excuses, the good thing is no significant injuries!

I saw that headline and thought the same thing-

Pretty trashy in my opinion

I saw that headline and thought the same thing- Pretty trashy in my opinion

 

Not "trashy", but certainly just ignorant reporting.

WR/DB' date=' just messin with you! I don't know if it would have made a huge difference, but making the point that we were down 2 starting WR's and DB's bout mid way thru the 4th qtr., plus the linemen we had lost earlier. Just sayin![/quote']

 

Ah, all I know is Rasheed Jones was the best all around player on the field last night and it wasn't close. They need him back healthy to have a chance the rest of the way

Ah, all I know is Rasheed Jones was the best all around player on the field last night and it wasn't close. They need him back healthy to have a chance the rest of the way

 

Jones is a good player but he didn't stand out to me as much as I thought he would.

I am no Paducah Sun apologist, but I wonder if that headline was written for deadline time while McCracken was dominating the game. Story inserted later and headline not changed. Just a theory.

Jones is a good player but he didn't stand out to me as much as I thought he would.

 

Did you miss all his stiff arms and runs. Dudes a play maker. Hughes looked terrible throwing early so that held him back some.

Did you miss all his stiff arms and runs. Dudes a play maker. Hughes looked terrible throwing early so that held him back some.

 

He looked good but he never looked dominate to me. I thought he was held in check until he left with 50 yards rushing

The Paducah Sun might as well be called the McCracken County HS Sun.

 

They act like there are not any other High Schools in the region. They cover there opening day and just about anything else that goes on.

 

WPSD is about the same way.

 

Both are losing viewers and readers.

Another note. It is not the same since Joey's passing.

The Paducah Sun might as well be called the McCracken County HS Sun.

 

They act like there are not any other High Schools in the region. They cover there opening day and just about anything else that goes on.

 

WPSD is about the same way.

 

Both are losing viewers and readers.

 

In fairness, McCracken has done quite a bit to warrant that coverage over the last year but I get your point.

I am no Paducah Sun apologist, but I wonder if that headline was written for deadline time while McCracken was dominating the game. Story inserted later and headline not changed. Just a theory.

 

That's a STRONG possibility. I do NOT think the average reader understands the 'A' Section/News Section/Front Page has a much earlier deadline than sports does. Because the section is bigger in page count and usually has more color (ads) than sports section, it takes longer to trip. Thus, it goes first.

 

That's the reason lottery results (which don't move on the Kentucky Lottery website) are in the sports section, but stories on lottery jackpots/lottery winners/ticket sales are always in news. By the time the lotteries are drawn each night, the 'A' section has already gone to press and is being printed.

 

Other possible factors at play:

 

- Don't blame the writer. Mike Stunson is very good. By his tweets, he never mentioned dominate, especially late. Doubt he wrote his story like that. ... Most reporters, especially at decent-sized dailies like Paducah, don't write their own headlines.

 

- It's possible the paper was NOT even layed out by someone in Paducah. Many newspaper companies have gone to "universal desks" where you'll have upward of a dozen papers being laid out/designed/edited/paginated at a diffferent/central location. Saves money. Easier to hire people (because they know EXACTLY what they're doing instead of splitting time writing, editing, taking photos, etc.). However, errors arise when you CAN'T change things late (like in this instance). Once Paper A sends off its stories/info/photos to be laid out, once it is sent back in final form, it's hard to edit (if at all possible).

 

- If it was REALLY about selling papers, the "dominate" tease would NOT have been listed second. Or in small point. It would have been six columns stripped across the top in like 40-point (instead of 12 or smaller as it appears).

 

That being said, that's a very bad error or poor judgment. I've never used "dominate" in an overtime game, unless it is about a particular player or talking about the OT period itself (a basketball team outscoring the other 14-2 in OT, for example; or a soccer team scoring three goals in a mandatory OT period when it is fully timed and not sudden death). But never used "dominate" to describe the game itself if it went to OT.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.