Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Votto: Should He Play?

Featured Replies

No point in playing him unless he's truly healthy, and at this point, I doubt he'll ever be completely healthy again. That contract has stunk since the beginning...I want to keep game changers like Cueto, Latos, and Chapman. I could do without Votto...any day.

 

I agree with the possibility that he was juicing. His injuries seem very much like those of someone who juiced and had to stop. It's pretty bad in the minors, too. You can see a significant difference in guys over a season and you know what they're doing. Then they get caught, serve their "punishment" and come back and struggle/get hurt. Or keep juicing until they've gotten caught so much that it doesn't matter anymore. If they can get paid while they're juicing and before they get caught (Votto...) they don't forfeit the money they've gotten. It's sad to see.

  • Replies 38
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Clyde. He's paid to play and should do so if he's completely healthy.

 

However, I'd prefer that he goes far away and never wears a Reds uniform again. Tired of him yapping about how he's hurt and can't play. Give Phillips credit, he was hurt and busted his butt to get back. I don't think Votto has done the same.

I'm with Clyde. He's paid to play and should do so if he's completely healthy.

 

However, I'd prefer that he goes far away and never wears a Reds uniform again. Tired of him yapping about how he's hurt and can't play. Give Phillips credit, he was hurt and busted his butt to get back. I don't think Votto has done the same.

 

100%. Philiips is the Chad Johnson of baseball in Cincinnati. People complain about his "antics" and his selfish play or attitude...whatever. The Reds (And The Bengals) are 100% more fun to watch with guys like that on the team. Phillips loves himself...but he loves baseball, too. And he worked his butt off to get back to a team with no real playoff shot at this point. Votto has been chillin at the zoo and tennis matches...and I guess rehabbing his poor hammy.

This town loves guys like Phillips and hates guys like Votto. I would have thought that Mr. C would know that, especially since he's in touch with the average fan. Just goes to prove that one good season and a big contract won't make you a good guy if you're a jerk or a slacker....which I believe is true of Joey.

Oh, BTW, what would the Cards have done with Votto after his MVP season? Signed him long term or traded him?

This town loves guys like Phillips and hates guys like Votto. I would have thought that Mr. C would know that, especially since he's in touch with the average fan. Just goes to prove that one good season and a big contract won't make you a good guy if you're a jerk or a slacker....which I believe is true of Joey.

 

I don't know that he's a jerk, but I think he isn't mentally tough/strong at all. He's weak. And weak isn't worth what he got paid. The deal stunk from the minute it happened. There is no way to foresee injury, but there is a way to gage whether a guy has the "it" factor and on field leadership and presence to merit that type of contract. Votto doesn't have any of that. He's like a limp noodle...blah..

No point in playing him unless he's truly healthy, and at this point, I doubt he'll ever be completely healthy again. That contract has stunk since the beginning...I want to keep game changers like Cueto, Latos, and Chapman. I could do without Votto...any day.

 

I agree with the possibility that he was juicing. His injuries seem very much like those of someone who juiced and had to stop. It's pretty bad in the minors, too. You can see a significant difference in guys over a season and you know what they're doing. Then they get caught, serve their "punishment" and come back and struggle/get hurt. Or keep juicing until they've gotten caught so much that it doesn't matter anymore. If they can get paid while they're juicing and before they get caught (Votto...) they don't forfeit the money they've gotten. It's sad to see.

 

I guess baseball has made me cynical and conspiracy theory crazy because I've even thought that the MLB knows about Votto and these extended times that he has been off is their way of punishing him. I've even thought worse of Ludwick, he hits all these homers a couple of seasons ago in his mid 30's, then opening day of the next season he conveniently hurts his knee sliding like Votto and is out most of the season after signing that huge last contract he will ever have. The times that we are in make you think these things and I don't trust anyone

I guess baseball has made me cynical and conspiracy theory crazy because I've even thought that the MLB knows about Votto and these extended times that he has been off is their way of punishing him. I've even thought worse of Ludwick, he hits all these homers a couple of seasons ago in his mid 30's, then opening day of the next season he conveniently hurts his knee sliding like Votto and is out most of the season after signing that huge last contract he will ever have. The times that we are in make you think these things and I don't trust anyone

 

I'm pretty positive he tore up his shoulder and you could visibly see where the injury occurred as his hand stuck the ground but conveniently say what you need to to reach your conspiracy.

Can't imagine how much this guy is going to get raked over the coals by some here.

 

Criticism aimed at Joey Votto is misguided. | SportsonEarth.com : Richard Justice Article

 

You won't hear me rake him over the coals. As someone who has dealt with injuries that people couldn't visibly see (ie swelling, discoloration) it's always easy for people to say "hey he's not really hurt". I'm sure Votto wants to be on the field so IMO the "he doesn't care" and "he isn't rushing back like BP" criticism is completely off base. Going through the procedures that Votto is going through tell me that he is trying to do what he can to get healthy and stay healthy for the long run. Would it help to have him on the field now? Yes. Do I think it's smart to put him on the field now when it could possibly mean the rest of his contract is spent on and off the DL because he rushed back too soon, twice? No.

Anyone who watched Votto's first attempt to come back and is now blasting him because they think he is faking - well, that is just sad. The dude played when he clearly was hurt and not capable, but people think it is an act or between his ears. What a joke. I hear people say Cincinnati is a great baseball town and the fans know baseball but I am consistently shocked by the ignorance of Reds fans.

Ok. He may be hurt. He could be trying to get back. No need to go to the paper and whine like a 3 year old who didn't get ice cream after dinner about someone saying something about you.

 

Meet with the reporters. Tell them what's been going on. Show them what you're doing to get back. Have a team doctor/trainer vouch about all the work you're doing behind the scenes. Something to make us think your not just a prima donna slacker who doesn't love the game like we think you should love it.

Ok. He may be hurt. He could be trying to get back. No need to go to the paper and whine like a 3 year old who didn't get ice cream after dinner about someone saying something about you.

 

Meet with the reporters. Tell them what's been going on. Show them what you're doing to get back. Have a team doctor/trainer vouch about all the work you're doing behind the scenes. Something to make us think your not just a prima donna slacker who doesn't love the game like we think you should love it.

 

The papers went to him. Not the other way around.

 

And why should he have to detail his treatment? Shouldn't he be entitled to the same privacy as the rest of us? I know I don't have to go telling my medical treatments to people. Plus it has already been announced that he's been having platelet enrichment therapy which takes time.

The papers went to him. Not the other way around.

 

And why should he have to detail his treatment? Shouldn't he be entitled to the same privacy as the rest of us? I know I don't have to go telling my medical treatments to people. Plus it has already been announced that he's been having platelet enrichment therapy which takes time.

 

My point is if your sensitive to what people say about you, like Votto clearly is, get in front of it and be a little more open. We heard tons about BP's rehab but all we've heard about joey is that he had PRP therapy and that he's tired of us thinking he's a slacker.

Votto could stand to take some PR cues from the Mayor.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.