Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NCC needs 8th graders

Featured Replies

NCC tweeted last Thursday that "8th grade girls at one of our district parishes can try out for frosh vball next Tuesday" First - it looks like numbers are way down for NCC volleyball and they will have to fill their Frosh roster with 8th graders.

 

But second, when they say "district parishes" does that mean the church or the school? I can see room for abuse if it's not the school. Could a girl attending St. Mary's school have her family join St. Catherine's parish and then be eligible to tryout for NCC, even though she's clearly enrolled at a school that supposed to feed into Brossart?

  • Replies 30
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how it would work if a student changed parishes but attended a different catholic school. But usually they mean parishes. When a catholic school closes and the church remains open, usually the closest catholic grade school becomes the parishes (the one who's school closed) new school. The students of the parish can attend the different parishes school with no additional charge. St. Henry grade school is the grade school for St. Henry church and St. Barbara. But I think there exists a fee if you attend a school but do not belong to the parish. So, if a student did that so they could play freshman volleyball then they might be paying a few hundred more dollars in tuition.

  • Author

I did some more digging on here for old posts and it looks like this topic has been somewhat covered before. St. Therese seems to be mentioned as a 2nd parish people can join without having to pay extra. So an 8th grader enrolled at IHM can have their family join St. Therese for "free'', still belong to IHM, but gain access to NCC. Doesn't that go against the feeder school idea?

Yes, technically, you have to be a member of a feeder parish to participate in sports if you are an 8th grader. Yes, you can join a feeder parish to get around that technicality. Yes, it is frowned upon by the diocese. No, I have not seen anything enforced regarding. Yes, I am aware of people joining a feeder parish in order to play sports at NCC in 8th grade. Yes, I support this and would have done so in a heartbeat if my daughter had wanted to play sports there in 8th grade rather than make her play at a high school she had no intention of attending just to be able to play up.

  • Author
Yes, technically, you have to be a member of a feeder parish to participate in sports if you are an 8th grader. Yes, you can join a feeder parish to get around that technicality. Yes, it is frowned upon by the diocese. No, I have not seen anything enforced regarding. Yes, I am aware of people joining a feeder parish in order to play sports at NCC in 8th grade. Yes, I support this and would have done so in a heartbeat if my daughter had wanted to play sports there in 8th grade rather than make her play at a high school she had no intention of attending just to be able to play up.

 

All of that, while not technically violating any rule, would seem to go against the spirit of the way things are set up by the Diocese. But I can't imagine NCC is the only school where this happens. I understand 8th graders are needed to fill out rosters in many sports at area high schools.

Is toyal enrollment down for NCC freshmen, or just freshmen girls? Or (more unlikely) , is there a diminished interest in volleyball for this class?

I think it's business as usual for NCC in this aspect. They usually fill their freshman rosters with 8th graders to make up for those frosh who have made JV or varsity teams. Happens at a lot of small schools, I'm sure.

I think it's business as usual for NCC in this aspect. They usually fill their freshman rosters with 8th graders to make up for those frosh who have made JV or varsity teams. Happens at a lot of small schools, I'm sure.

 

If the JR. High Football program is any indication, it's going to be a schoolwide issue. Only 18 players spread among 3 grades???

If the JR. High Football program is any indication, it's going to be a schoolwide issue. Only 18 players spread among 3 grades???

 

Wow! I guess those signs by St. Joe aren't attracting as many Brossart kids as they usually do! :banana:

Wow! I guess those signs by St. Joe aren't attracting as many Brossart kids as they usually do! :banana:

 

Red Devils restarted their Senior team, so a lot of St. Joe's kids are playing there.

I did some more digging on here for old posts and it looks like this topic has been somewhat covered before. St. Therese seems to be mentioned as a 2nd parish people can join without having to pay extra. So an 8th grader enrolled at IHM can have their family join St. Therese for "free'', still belong to IHM, but gain access to NCC. Doesn't that go against the feeder school idea?

 

Some like to refer to St. Therese as the "underground railroad". :D

  • Author
Some like to refer to St. Therese as the "underground railroad". :D

 

Something tells me the Holy Cross and Brossart loyalists may call it something else . . .

If the JR. High Football program is any indication, it's going to be a schoolwide issue. Only 18 players spread among 3 grades???

 

Red Devils restarted their Senior team, so a lot of St. Joe's kids are playing there.

 

Lost Kelly, Cain, and a few more I'm told. Kind of makes sense since their fathers help coach in this program. When they get to the "hill", they will be just fine.

Is toyal enrollment down for NCC freshmen, or just freshmen girls? Or (more unlikely) , is there a diminished interest in volleyball for this class?

 

At last count enrollment for frosh was in the 90's.

 

lawildcat it the "nail on the head", two freshman, Lexi Breen (playing jv & varsity) and Mikah Freppon (playing varsity). Not alot of frosh girls came out.

  • Author
At last count enrollment for frosh was in the 90's.

 

How much is that down compared to historical average? Are you saying only 2 Frosh came out for the team?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.