Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should all settlement amounts be public record?

Featured Replies

I am sure there are a lot of pros and cons but thinking of the big picture should all settlement amounts be public record? In other words, no non-disclosures when it comes to money.

 

I realize this will make some individual cases more difficult but I believe it serves a high good moving forward.

 

Anyone? Agree? Disagree? Pros? Cons?

  • Replies 32
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am sure there are a lot of pros and cons but thinking of the big picture should all settlement amounts be public record? In other words, no non-disclosures when it comes to money.

 

I realize this will make some individual cases more difficult but I believe it serves a high good moving forward.

 

Anyone? Agree? Disagree? Pros? Cons?

 

Anything that encourages settlements is good for the already jam-packed court system. Won't an automatic disclosure prevent a lot of settlements, thereby further jamming the courts with cases that don't belong there?

 

There are plenty of settlements that occur before a lawsuit is filed. Would those then have to be disclosed somewhere as well? If a court isn't yet involved then what is the nature of that disclosure?

I see the postives and negatives. I think GetSlow's point make me side with the fact that allowing non-disclosure helps free up the court system.

If I sued an agency and won a sizable award, I don't think I would want it known to protect myself.

  • Author
Anything that encourages settlements is good for the already jam-packed court system. Won't an automatic disclosure prevent a lot of settlements, thereby further jamming the courts with cases that don't belong there?

 

There are plenty of settlements that occur before a lawsuit is filed. Would those then have to be disclosed somewhere as well? If a court isn't yet involved then what is the nature of that disclosure?

 

I would say no court involvement, no disclosure.

 

To your first point, it may jam things up at first but in the end I believe it would streamline the process. I think you would see many more settlements without going to court and everyone adapts to change.

 

Most important, I think disclosure would make everyone think twice before screwing someone else over. Additionally, I think businesses and companies defending themselves would think twice before offering some ridiculous low ball number when they know the suit is worth much more to the victim.

  • Author
If I sued an agency and won a sizable award, I don't think I would want it known to protect myself.

 

People win the lottery all the time, you will live.

I would say no court involvement, no disclosure.

 

To your first point, it may jam things up at first but in the end I believe it would streamline the process. I think you would see many more settlements without going to court and everyone adapts to change.

 

Most important, I think disclosure would make everyone think twice before screwing someone else over. Additionally, I think businesses and companies defending themselves would think twice before offering some ridiculous low ball number when they know the suit is worth much more to the victim.

 

That last paragraph was part of my thinking. Defense attorneys have every reason to drag out a case. Unlike the plaintiffs' lawyers, who get paid a lot on commission in the types of cases we're talking about, these guys who work at big law firms get paid hourly and make more money the more pleadings they file, depositions they take, and motion hours they send their junior associates to. I'd be curious to see what the civil defense bar's take on such a move would be considering it might be something that, for once, actually made their lives more difficult.

I say no... Seems like to me if all settlements were public record, you would have more cases of people trying to get money from situations like these.

  • Author
I say no... Seems like to me if all settlements were public record, you would have more cases of people trying to get money from situations like these.

 

No you wouldn't, you either have a case or you don't.

  • Author
That last paragraph was part of my thinking. Defense attorneys have every reason to drag out a case. Unlike the plaintiffs' lawyers, who get paid a lot on commission in the types of cases we're talking about, these guys who work at big law firms get paid hourly and make more money the more pleadings they file, depositions they take, and motion hours they send their junior associates to. I'd be curious to see what the civil defense bar's take on such a move would be considering it might be something that, for once, actually made their lives more difficult.

 

I think we are thinking the same thing here. The big problem I see with change is the people "in charge" of deciding the change could have numerous conflicts of interest.

 

To me, this should be about right and wrong, only right and wrong don't pay as well as secret deals do.

People win the lottery all the time, you will live.

 

Completely different scenario

To me, this should be about right and wrong, only right and wrong don't pay as well as secret deals do.

 

They never have.

  • Author
Completely different scenario

 

Go away! :D

I sue (hypothetical) the Anderson County parks department because I was hurt at a park in large part because of their negligence. I win $100,000. I might not want people in my community knowing I won that, simply because it could cause bad blood towards me and I could possibly become a target of hate, ridicule...maybe even worse. There are millions of examples one could use.

People win the lottery all the time, you will live.

 

Not every state makes their lottery winners public. Ohio is a state that gives the winner a choice.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.