Vehicles and gas mileage

BigVMan23

Was thinking about this when posting in another thread. I bought a 2010 Ford Focus last May to replace a 96 Ford Contour I have had for several years and will finally be getting rid of today to a young man who needs something that gets good gas mileage. I had gotten right at 40 mpg one time on a trip back and forth to Paducah in the Contour. Well I drove to NC last week for a conference in my Focus. 41.6 mpg round trip...and that's going up and down the mountains on I 40. Not too shabby. Drove it to SC last year right after I got it and did 42+mpg.

Anyone else drive small cars and try to get as good a gas mileage as possible? I am a big man, 6'5, 300+, and a big luxury car or SUV would be nice to fit in and would surely be more comfortable...but I just LOVE getting high fuel millage from a small car. And to be honest my Focus fits me pretty decently.

I see people driving around in these big vehicles, knowing they are getting horrible gas mileage, and I just don't know how they afford it. Good for them if they can...but I can't. I see these young kids where I live driving these big diesel trucks...flat getting down the road too... and I just scratch my head wondering how if the world they have enough money to put fuel in them. They young man I am selling my old Contour to is one of these kids who is finally realizing the big diesel truck he drives every day is eating him out of house and home and asked would I sell my car to him. It's a beater, but runs good and drives good, and for $500.00 it will probably pay for itself in 2 or 3 months. I bought it from a friend about 12 years ago for $2,000.00 and it has paid for itself probably 7 or 8 times over, if not more.

Here's to small cars and great gas mileage.:thumb:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate small cars. Hate being so low to the ground. I drive a BMW X5 and get around 22 mpg. Not great but I'll take it as a trade off for being a little higher off the ground.

No doubt everything being equal I would prefer a loaded F 150 or something in that realm. But gas mileage along with initial vehicle and maintenance costs keep me from doing that. And if I want to play my "man card", I still have my old Ranger XLT extra cab I can drive. It's a 5 speed 4 cylinder and gets good gas mileage for a truck too.:thumb: Almost sold it a couple of weeks ago, but backed out on the day the guy was supposed to come down and buy it. Just decided I couldn't part with my truck.:no:

Well I sold my old pal yesterday, my Contour. Young man I sold it to was really happy about it. He got it home last night, his mom looked at it and he told her the kind of gas mileage it gets, and she tried to buy it off of him!