Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2013-14 All BluegrassPreps.com 12th Region Teams

Featured Replies

  • Author
One of the two freshmen Smith or Miller from casey should be on the honorable mention list.

 

They were definitely worthy. No argument from me.

  • Replies 32
  • Views 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PP92 beat me to it, but Timmy, Jacob and Ronnie will all be playing together for my 17u team and Hager will be playing 16u with Hoop Dreams also. Not to mention some future 12th region first teamers on our middle school age groups.

PP92, thanks for all the time & effort towards posting this - a thankless task.

 

Regarding comments praising or demeaning certain players who are on teams who feature 2, 3 or perhaps 4 players of considerable merit, I find many of the comments out of line or simply ignorant. Why? Because what skills each player brings to their team are enhanced or lessened to some extent by their teammates and their coach's choice of responsibilities given to each of them.

 

Players who can shoot exceptionally well or are capable of scoring a lot of points tend to get exceptional attention from their opponents as would be expected. The better the opponent, the more skilled their players and the greater the likelihood that they will reduce the number of open shots available to any player to whom they choose to focus their defense.

 

Correspondingly, some players could score 30 or more points per game if their coach's philosophy was to depend primarily upon or feature one player rather than spread the offensive responsibilities among several players on the team. The downside of this choice is that when the player in question has an off game (whether his failure or the opposition's defense brings it about) the team usually fails to live up to expectations and perhaps potential (but not necessarily).

 

I think some of you need to hone your "watching" skills to observe who actually contributes what to their team and how it is brought about by their coach's choices AND teammates' contributions (or lack there-of).

 

In the four decades plus I have observed the game, I've seen a lot of 30 PPG players, a lot of All State or All State Tournament players/performances and many different coaching styles*. The depth of a player's skills and what he can contribute to making his team the best it can be vary for each player as dictated by that player's mental toughness, the role he is given to play for his team, his teammates' contributions and the consistency each player (& the coach) bring to each game.

 

In the end it isn't always as easy as picking out great or off games (of a particular player) by which to judge them. Sometimes players benefit from playing a in a system that rewards the player who works within the system which correspondingly rewards all of the players on that team because they become the best team they can be with each of them playing the role for which they are best suited.

 

Sadly, some players never heed their coach's attempts to help mold them into a better (all-around, team-oriented, unselfish?) player, certainly a better teammate and as a result their teams never reach the goals that might attained if they had. As Star Trek's Mr. Spock so ably stated, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few . . . or the one."

 

* Off-topic, but worth noting how many coaches find success only when the right marriage of their personalities & styles are matched up with the right school/program/administration and certainly in most all cases, sufficient talent (Karma?).

And I should have noted, that this is BGP's 12th Region Team, not a selection of the players who stand the best chance of excelling at the next level. Selecting a team using those criteria would be cause for some radical changes in BGP's choices as well as what we all had to say about those choices. But it isn't, it is for what these players have done this year individually and as contributors to their team's success.

Very true. I'd like to see Taylor on his AAU team where everyone can play. And it will be interesting to see where he ends up in college. His size says NAIA or Division III, but I think a small D1 school could take a chance on him and see it pay big dividends down the line.

 

I love Taylor's game. I think he controls the game about as well as any player in the state.

And I should have noted, that this is BGP's 12th Region Team, not a selection of the players who stand the best chance of excelling at the next level. Selecting a team using those criteria would be cause for some radical changes in BGP's choices as well as what we all had to say about those choices. But it isn't, it is for what these players have done this year individually and as contributors to their team's success.

 

You want to elaborate regarding next level and who you think is better suited? That should make for some interesting dialogue!

You want to elaborate regarding next level and who you think is better suited? That should make for some interesting dialogue!

 

Nope, because that would require making some critical remarks about some players that I prefer not making in a public forum.

I think this is a well thought out representation of the 12th region. During the season, there were at least 5 players who were in the top 15 scorers in the state. The 12th region had 4 teams crack the top 25 at some point during the season. I look forward to next year because a lot of this talent will be around to watch again.

I think this is a well thought out representation of the 12th region. During the season, there were at least 5 players who were in the top 15 scorers in the state. The 12th region had 4 teams crack the top 25 at some point during the season. I look forward to next year because a lot of this talent will be around to watch again.

 

Agreed. Wayne returns their core. Lincoln graduates only one role player. Boyle graduates one role player. East Jessamine graduates no one. Mercer returns Hager and Faulkner. West will have to replace Peters and Henderson. Pulaski brings back most of their team.

 

Bottom line, there is very little leaving the 12th. Player development will play a critical part in who represents the 12th region at Rupp next March.

  • Author

I think 7 players return from the First and Second teams.

Casey County returns two outstanding freshmen guards. Plus I look for casey county to have some newcomers transferring in. Rumor is a big time player from a county near will be transferring in

Yes, I saw Boyle and Lawrence Co. Too bad I couldn't have caught Tyler at a better time.

 

I also saw Wayne play Knott Co Central. I think it might be more telling that their leading scorer struggled in games against probably 3 of their top 4 opponents. I guess it could go either way...either Wayne struggled against those teams because Woods didn't play well, or Woods didn't play well because they were playing tougher teams. The reason I question Woods is because I didn't see him do anything other than shoot that made an impact on the team. You mentioned versatility and all-around performance in the original post, and I didn't see Woods display those qualities. It is hard to judge his body of work because the only things I can see that stand out are points, and in the games I saw, I could tell he was a great shooter.

 

I don't mean to bash him, as I have no doubt he is a top 10 player in the region. Just that comparatively speaking, I think he has a couple teammates who bring more to the table, and i think should be ranked above him.

 

I understand your reasoning, but don't agree with it in that I lean towards feeling all of them are deserving. In Woods, Blevins & Stearns, Wayne County has three of the Region's better players. Woods' best attribute is undeniably his outside shooting which enables he (& his team) to garner points at a rapid rate and early in the season the opposition quickly picked up on that and started having whomever they had guard him to give him as little space as possible when he got the ball, so he drove and began racking up some huge free throw numbers because he would either make the layup & one or get two free throws. THEN the opposition began always making sure that they had whoever was closest (aside from whomever had him) collapse to create a defensive 'wall' and making it much more difficult for him to drive.

 

So rather than push the issue WC's offense shifted more to Blevins and Stearns because they're both excellent offensive threats in their own right (Blevins from three AND driving, and Stearns from the outside, especially mid-range and driving). Ultimately, in each game it came down to how each team choose to guard WC's trio of offensive players and thus, who had the most room to shoot or drive. Rarely did it matter much (who scored) because WC averaged 80 ppg and managed to distribute the ball in a manner that had good results.

 

Sometimes, the opponent would play zone, but attempt to 'cheat out', that is, have the players on Woods or Blevins' side move out to try & deny them their shot.

 

Any of the three could have averaged more than what they did had they been on a team where they would be the "featured" offensive player, but in WC's case, they typically took what was most reasonably available to them, rather than attempt to force their shots.

 

At the State, McCracken did a great job on defense (not allowing Woods or Blevins to get shots) and Woods admittedly did have an off shooting eye, PLUS Stearns (played only 14 minutes) and Perkins (played only 18 minutes) were both tagged with fouls early & often which killed WC since they were the ones who were picking up the offensive slack in place of Woods & Blevins.

 

The fact remains that of their overall season record of 31-2, Wayne County was 16-0 against 12th Region competition with 7 of those victories attained against the best in the Region: 4-0 against Southwestern; 1-0 against Lincoln County; and 2-0 against Boyle County. It took some outstanding basketball to achieve those results. My point being, I think it logical to assume that WC's players deserve whatever kudos come their way.

I understand your reasoning, but don't agree with it in that I lean towards feeling all of them are deserving. In Woods, Blevins & Stearns, Wayne County has three of the Region's better players. Woods' best attribute is undeniably his outside shooting which enables he (& his team) to garner points at a rapid rate and early in the season the opposition quickly picked up on that and started having whomever they had guard him to give him as little space as possible when he got the ball, so he drove and began racking up some huge free throw numbers because he would either make the layup & one or get two free throws. THEN the opposition began always making sure that they had whoever was closest (aside from whomever had him) collapse to create a defensive 'wall' and making it much more difficult for him to drive.

 

So rather than push the issue WC's offense shifted more to Blevins and Stearns because they're both excellent offensive threats in their own right (Blevins from three AND driving, and Stearns from the outside, especially mid-range and driving). Ultimately, in each game it came down to how each team choose to guard WC's trio of offensive players and thus, who had the most room to shoot or drive. Rarely did it matter much (who scored) because WC averaged 80 ppg and managed to distribute the ball in a manner that had good results.

 

Sometimes, the opponent would play zone, but attempt to 'cheat out', that is, have the players on Woods or Blevins' side move out to try & deny them their shot.

 

Any of the three could have averaged more than what they did had they been on a team where they would be the "featured" offensive player, but in WC's case, they typically took what was most reasonably available to them, rather than attempt to force their shots.

 

At the State, McCracken did a great job on defense (not allowing Woods or Blevins to get shots) and Woods admittedly did have an off shooting eye, PLUS Stearns (played only 14 minutes) and Perkins (played only 18 minutes) were both tagged with fouls early & often which killed WC since they were the ones who were picking up the offensive slack in place of Woods & Blevins.

 

The fact remains that of their overall season record of 31-2, Wayne County was 16-0 against 12th Region competition with 7 of those victories attained against the best in the Region: 4-0 against Southwestern; 1-0 against Lincoln County; and 2-0 against Boyle County. It took some outstanding basketball to achieve those results. My point being, I think it logical to assume that WC's players deserve whatever kudos come their way.

 

I don't think I really disagree with anything you've said.

My point was that I would rank both Blevins and Stearns as the more complete players on the team. I think all 3 are probably top 10 kids in the region, and I think you could argue any of them in the top five.

Woods is a fantastic shooter, but in the times I saw them I didn't feel like he affected the game unless he was scoring (and it didn't seem like he was drawing excessive defensive activity in compared to his teammates). While Blevins and Stearns aren't on Woods level as a shooter/scorer, I don't feel they are significantly behind him, and I think that gap is more than made up for in some of the other things they bring to the table.

 

My posts may have come across as anti Woods, but really I want this to express how much I enjoy and appreciate Blevins and Stearns (and Perkins).

First, let me say that I like Wayne's big 3. Each one is different and they complement each other very, very well. And, I agree with most all of your (Ole Kentuckian's) comments, as well as your logic - with a couple of notable exceptions.

 

First, I would argue that Woods was their "featured" player, then Blevins, then Stearns. In that order. And I'm not saying that he shouldn't have been. I would think that the stats showing the number of FG and FT attempts would support that contention.

 

The second point is regarding your comment that, "Any of the three could have averaged more than what they did had they been on a team where they would be the "featured" offensive player.." Perhaps, but that cuts both ways. As you pointed out, it's difficult for defenses to focus on any one of the three because the other two are very capable scorers. I would argue that it's much harder for a team's best player to average 25 PPG, when his team lacks other significant threats and when his team may average in the low 60's, than it is for a talented offensive player to average 25 PPG on a team with multiple options that, as a result, averages 80 PPG. And, unfortunately, the large majority of high school players fall into the former category.

 

I've posted on here, numerous times, in support of Lincoln's team. The same can be said for them. Taylor is a great PG but, without Conway and Conley, he doesn't average 9 APG. Great passes lead to assists only if the recipient can put it in the bucket. Likewise, without Taylor, Conway probably doesn't average 22 PPG either.

 

Again, this is by no means meant to detract from those players. They are 3 of the best in the region. However, I think their stats are helped, not hurt, by playing for a team with multiple legit options and that scores a ton of points.

First, let me say that I like Wayne's big 3. Each one is different and they complement each other very, very well. And, I agree with most all of your (Ole Kentuckian's) comments, as well as your logic - with a couple of notable exceptions.

 

First, I would argue that Woods was their "featured" player, then Blevins, then Stearns. In that order. And I'm not saying that he shouldn't have been. I would think that the stats showing the number of FG and FT attempts would support that contention.

 

The second point is regarding your comment that, "Any of the three could have averaged more than what they did had they been on a team where they would be the "featured" offensive player.." Perhaps, but that cuts both ways. As you pointed out, it's difficult for defenses to focus on any one of the three because the other two are very capable scorers. I would argue that it's much harder for a team's best player to average 25 PPG, when his team lacks other significant threats and when his team may average in the low 60's, than it is for a talented offensive player to average 25 PPG on a team with multiple options that, as a result, averages 80 PPG. And, unfortunately, the large majority of high school players fall into the former category.

 

I've posted on here, numerous times, in support of Lincoln's team. The same can be said for them. Taylor is a great PG but, without Conway and Conley, he doesn't average 9 APG. Great passes lead to assists only if the recipient can put it in the bucket. Likewise, without Taylor, Conway probably doesn't average 22 PPG either.

 

Again, this is by no means meant to detract from those players. They are 3 of the best in the region. However, I think their stats are helped, not hurt, by playing for a team with multiple legit options and that scores a ton of points.

 

I don't think we disagree on all that much either. However, I've seen what I'm touting regarding players averaging more ppg when there are fewer other offensive options on the team many, many times.

 

Example: In 2004, Wayne County won the region with a 28-5 record. Leading the team in scoring were Tyrone Green (All-State), Jerrod Gibbons and Stephen Sexton, in that order. The following year Green, Gibbons & others were gone and Sexton was left to play with a bunch of much younger players and the team was 8-21 and lost in the first round of the District. Yet he scored 25.8 ppg and was All-State.

 

Example: UK's 2012 team where the top scorer averaged 14.2 and the number six guy averaged 9.9. Nobody averaged "All American" numbers, but all averaged essentially double-figures, and Davis & MKG still made All American. Yet Davis, MKG, Jones & Lamb all could have easily averaged 20 ppg or more had they been the offensive focus of the team for which they played.

 

Sharing the scoring makes for a great team (look at how much UK's outside shooting has improved since everyone on the inside or who drives learned to kick it out). Relying on one guy is dangerous. Not doing so played a huge part of why WC was so successful this season until the combination of some players having off games (undoubtedly some credit due to an excellent defense effort) along with the of WC's other two scoring threats getting hit with fouls and playing the fewest minutes of their season.

 

Where you're 100% correct is that with a player like Tim Taylor, he will shine bigger because when he doesn't have good players to which to distribute his passes, then they won't score and he won't get assists. Both he and his coach would be upset watching the ball go through their hands and opportunities go a wasting (what happened to Steven Sexton his senior year-WC fans never wanted him to pass because nobody else on that team could be depended upon to score if he gave it to them).

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.