Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2013-14 All BluegrassPreps.com 12th Region Teams

Featured Replies

BluegrassPreps.com honors the 12th Region's outstanding individual performers for the 2013-14 Boys Basketball regular season. The two teams recognize 10 players whose versatility and all-around contributions to their respective teams sets them apart. The Honorable Mention recognizes others who also had outstanding seasons in the 12th Region this year. Congratulations to these young men for all they have accomplished!

 

2013-14 All BluegrassPreps.com Boys 12th Region 1st Team:

 

Justin Edwards-Southwestern

Peyton Woods-Wayne County

Hagen Tyler-Boyle County

Ronnie Carson-East Jessamine

Timmy Taylor-Lincoln County

 

2013-14 All BluegrassPreps.com Boys 12th Region 2nd Team:

 

Jacob Conway-Lincoln County

Will Hager-Mercer County

Daulton Peters-West Jessamine

Ryan Dishman-Somerset

Corey Stearns-Wayne County

 

2013-14 All BluegrassPreps.com Boys 12th Region Honorable Mention:

 

Cody Woolridge-Danville

Trey Blevins-Wayne County

Will Henderson-West Jessamine

Hayden Smith-East Jessamine

Russell Sims-Mercer County

Adam Isaacs-Southwestern

Dylan Gaskin-Southwestern

Jakobi Turner-Danville

Sam Pensol-Rockcastle County

Austin Sebastian-Garrard County

 

 

 

 

 

2013-14 BluegrassPreps.com 12th Region Player of the Year: Justin Edwards - Southwestern

2013-14 BluegrassPreps.com 10th Region Coach of the Year: Steve Wright - Southwestern

  • Replies 32
  • Views 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sold on Peyton Woods being on the 1st team. After watching Wayne Co play 3 times this year against top teams, I would put him as Wayne's third best player behind both Blevins and Stearns. I'm not even sure I'd have him ahead of Perkins who I was a big fan of. It sounded like Woods feasted on putting up big points, mostly against lesser competition, while I felt like the other 3 were all much more versatile.

I haven't seen everyone on the list, but I don't know how Blevins isn't at least on the second team, and how Perkins wasn't HM.

 

I must have caught Tyler and Boyle on their worst game of the year, because I didn't walk away impressed at all. Based on that one performance he was not on the level of Conway, Peters, Stearns or Blevins, but I guess that's why it's unfair to judge based on 1 game.

  • Author
I'm not sold on Peyton Woods being on the 1st team. After watching Wayne Co play 3 times this year against top teams, I would put him as Wayne's third best player behind both Blevins and Stearns. I'm not even sure I'd have him ahead of Perkins who I was a big fan of. It sounded like Woods feasted on putting up big points, mostly against lesser competition, while I felt like the other 3 were all much more versatile.

I haven't seen everyone on the list, but I don't know how Blevins isn't at least on the second team, and how Perkins wasn't HM.

 

I must have caught Tyler and Boyle on their worst game of the year, because I didn't walk away impressed at all. Based on that one performance he was not on the level of Conway, Peters, Stearns or Blevins, but I guess that's why it's unfair to judge based on 1 game.

 

If you're talking about Boyle County vs. Lawrence County then yes, that was by far the worst performance from Boyle County and Hagen Tyler all year. I know of quite a few non-Boyle County affiliated people who will tell you Hagen Tyler is the best player in the region. Hagen Tyler is a natural shooting guard who was thrust into the point guard position out of necessity. Not only was he charged with initiating the offense he was also charged with being the offense. With the exception of Ronnie Carson no one else in the 12th Region can create their own shot like Hagen Tyler does and Hagen can shoot the rock better than 99% of the region as well. From the 3 point line and the free throw line. Tyler also led Boyle County in rebounding.

 

As for Woods, which games did you see him play in? Montgomery County? McCracken County? Who else? If Montgomery County and McCracken County are two of the games then isn't it rather telling about Wayne County that their leading scorer had a bad game and they lost?

 

Perkins is Honorable Mention worthy for sure. I wanted to keep that list at 10 players. Simple as that.

 

Yes. It is unfair to judge one person after one game and if judging one after 3 games look at the entire body of work and not the sample size and look at what went wrong. That would be like me seeing Trent Gilbert for the first time on Sunday and saying he wasn't any good when we all know he is one of the top players in the state.

 

I saw quite a few teams play multiple times this year and I can think of plenty of kids who started or got minutes throughout the state that obviously must have done some good when I couldn't make it to their other 30 games I missed. They were getting a lot of time for a reason.

Yes, I saw Boyle and Lawrence Co. Too bad I couldn't have caught Tyler at a better time.

 

I also saw Wayne play Knott Co Central. I think it might be more telling that their leading scorer struggled in games against probably 3 of their top 4 opponents. I guess it could go either way...either Wayne struggled against those teams because Woods didn't play well, or Woods didn't play well because they were playing tougher teams. The reason I question Woods is because I didn't see him do anything other than shoot that made an impact on the team. You mentioned versatility and all-around performance in the original post, and I didn't see Woods display those qualities. It is hard to judge his body of work because the only things I can see that stand out are points, and in the games I saw, I could tell he was a great shooter.

I don't mean to bash him, as I have no doubt he is a top 10 player in the region. Just that comparatively speaking, I think he has a couple teammates who bring more to the table, and i think should be ranked above him.

  • Author
Yes, I saw Boyle and Lawrence Co. Too bad I couldn't have caught Tyler at a better time.

 

I also saw Wayne play Knott Co Central. I think it might be more telling that their leading scorer struggled in games against probably 3 of their top 4 opponents. I guess it could go either way...either Wayne struggled against those teams because Woods didn't play well, or Woods didn't play well because they were playing tougher teams. The reason I question Woods is because I didn't see him do anything other than shoot that made an impact on the team. You mentioned versatility and all-around performance in the original post, and I didn't see Woods display those qualities. It is hard to judge his body of work because the only things I can see that stand out are points, and in the games I saw, I could tell he was a great shooter.

I don't mean to bash him, as I have no doubt he is a top 10 player in the region. Just that comparatively speaking, I think he has a couple teammates who bring more to the table, and i think should be ranked above him.

 

 

Fair enough.

I think that one could argue that any of the top 8 players are worthy of first team and, to an extent, could be the "best" player in the region. Lots of talent for the 12th but lots of parity as well.

 

Edwards - at 6'5" + and around 225 lbs, his size and strength, along with his soft touch, make him a difficult match-up for any high school team. He could knock down the three as well.

Woods - led the #6 team in the state at scoring at around a 25 PPG clip. That alone is worthy of first team. While he probably is the least versatile kid on this list, he is a top-notch shooter. At 6'3", his height helps him get off his shot.

Tyler - probably the second best shooter on this list and not far from first. At 6'2", he can create his own shot and has a very quick release. Also a good defender and a pretty good ball handler. If not the best player, pretty close. Averaged around 24 PPG & 8 PPG. Shot nearly 50% from the field and 90% from the line. Very efficient.

Carson - for my money, the most dominant player in the 12th. He could out score and out assist anyone in the region. Also a very good rebounder for his size. Just so, so hard to neutralize.

Taylor - a pure PG. So unselfish and makes those around him so much better. Averaged around 12 PPG & 9 APG. Really controls a game as well, just does so in a different manner. The more talent he has around him, the better he looks. Also, shot 50% from the field.

Conway - the leading scorer and rebounder for the #9 team in the state. That alone is first team worthy. Can knock down the outside shot and has a good mid-range. Runs the floor well too. At 6'4", his height is a major advantage for him. Very nice player. Also shot around 50% from the field. The knock on h is that Taylor "makes" him. I think that runs both ways as they make each other better.

Hager - the most versatile player on the list and probably the best defender. And he can guard a PG or a PF. As a 6'4" PG, he can play inside and out on both sides of the ball. Gets to the rim as well as anyone. Averaged around 19 PPG, 7 RPG & 5 APG while shooting around 60% from the field.

Peters - most lethal mid-range shooter in the region - and one of the best leapers. So tough 15 feet and in. At 6'3", he really elevates on his jumper, making him unstoppable at times. Also, due to his strength and leaping ability, he could kill you on the boards. He is also a three point threat.

 

Also, I do agree that Blevins is likely worthy of top 10 status. He's the one that really makes them go. He really improved his ability to get to the basket and has always been able to shoot the three. Neither of the other 2 from Wayne are as versatile.

Yes, I saw Boyle and Lawrence Co. Too bad I couldn't have caught Tyler at a better time.

 

I also saw Wayne play Knott Co Central. I think it might be more telling that their leading scorer struggled in games against probably 3 of their top 4 opponents. I guess it could go either way...either Wayne struggled against those teams because Woods didn't play well, or Woods didn't play well because they were playing tougher teams. The reason I question Woods is because I didn't see him do anything other than shoot that made an impact on the team. You mentioned versatility and all-around performance in the original post, and I didn't see Woods display those qualities. It is hard to judge his body of work because the only things I can see that stand out are points, and in the games I saw, I could tell he was a great shooter.

I don't mean to bash him, as I have no doubt he is a top 10 player in the region. Just that comparatively speaking, I think he has a couple teammates who bring more to the table, and i think should be ranked above him.

That game was both Boyle and Hagens worst game of the year but Tyler did stopped drop 20. Best player in the region and I don't think it's close
I think that one could argue that any of the top 8 players are worthy on the first team and, to an extent, could be the "best" player in the region. Lots of talent for the 12th but lots of parity as well.

 

Edwards - at 6'5" + and around 225 lbs, his size and strength, along with his soft touch, make him a difficult match-up for any high school team. He could knock down the three as well.

Woods - led the #6 team in the state at scoring at around a 25 PPG clip. That alone is worthy of first team. While he probably is the least versatile kid on this list, he is a top-notch shooter. At 6'3", his height helps him get off his shot.

Tyler - probably the second best shooter on this list and not far from first. At 6'2", he can create his own shot and has a very quick release. Also a good defender and a pretty good ball handler. If not the best player, pretty close. Averaged around 24 PPG & 8 PPG. Shot nearly 50% from the field and 90% from the line. Very efficient.

Carson - for my money, the most dominant player in the 12th. He could out score and out assist anyone in the region. Also a very good rebounder for his size. Just so, so hard to neutralize.

Taylor - a pure PG. So unselfish and makes those around him so much better. Averaged around 12 PPG & 9 APG. Really controls a game as well, just does so in a different manner. The more talent he has around him, the better he looks. Also, shot 50% from the field.

Conway - the leading scorer and rebounder for the #9 team in the state. That alone is first team worthy. Can knock down the outside shot and has a good mid-range. Runs the floor well too. At 6'4", his height is a major advantage for him. Very nice player. Also shot around 50% from the field. The knock on h is that Taylor "makes" him. I think that runs both ways as they make each other better.

Hager - the most versatile player on the list and probably the best defender. And he can guard a PG or a PF. As a 6'4" PG, he can play inside and out on both sides of the ball. Gets to the rim as well as anyone. Averaged around 19 PPG, 7 RPG & 5 APG while shooting around 60% from the field.

Peters - most lethal mid-range shooter in the region - and one of the best leapers. So tough 15 feet and in. At 6'3", he really elevates on his jumper, making him unstoppable at times. Also, due to his strength and leaping ability, he could kill you on the boards. He is also a three point threat.

 

Also, I do agree that Blevins is likely worthy of top 10 status. He's the one that really makes them go. He really improved his ability to get to the basket and has always been able to shoot the three. Neither of the other 2 from Wayne are as versatile.

I agree with all of this. I love Edwards game. So versatile and just plays ball. Doesn't say a word, let's his game do the talking. Very good leader. Tyler is the best player in the region IMO. Not one dimensional. Definitely can shoot the ball but can get to the rim and to the lane against anybody. Very good rebounder and defender . Averaging 8 rbg for a guard is very good. Still to unselfish at times tho. Conway really elevated his game this season . Went from just being a spot up shooter to a more well rounded offensive player. Played alot more inside this year and did a good job. Good rebounder also. Needs to work on his defense. He should buy Taylor dinner after every game because he gets alot of buckets due to Taylor. They play very well together. Taylor is one of the top PG in the state if not the best. You will not steal the ball from that kid. Can get to the lane at will and finished at the rim alot better this season. Still needs to work on his outside shot and get a little stronger . Carson is just a wildcard. The kid has more talent then probably anybody in the region and maybe the state. He can just take over games with his scoring and passing. Hard to contain off the dribble and he is a very good passer. Just not a team player and has a bad attitude. ( missing regional tournament is prime example ). If he got his head on straight he could be one of the top players in the state. I absolutely love Will Hager from Mercer Co. That kid can play some ball. Always under control. Plays hard and smart. Can play any spot on the floor and guard any position. Did a very good job at PG this season at Mercer. Needs to improve his outside shot some. Very hard to stop from getting in the lane. Does a great job using ball fakes and head fakes. He's just a throwback basketball player. Nothing flashy. Just plays ball.

One of the two freshmen Smith or Miller from casey should be on the honorable mention list.

I'm not sold on Peyton Woods being on the 1st team.

 

I tend to think Corey Stearns was the best player on the Wayne County team, but I don't think you can have a All-12th Region with Peyton Woods. He is a scoring machine. His numbers were huge all season and were very strong during the regional tournament when they had their hands full with Boyle and Southwestern.

I know of quite a few non-Boyle County affiliated people who will tell you Hagen Tyler is the best player in the region.

 

I'm one of those people. Hagen Tyler was, to me, by far the best player in the 12th Region this season. I'll go one step further and say I didn't see one wingman at the state tournament as impressive as Tyler. He is a terrific player who can completely take over a game at any time.

Glad to see Austin Sebastian made honorable mention. After a sub-par junior year, Sebastian was terrific all season for Garrard County. He also moved into second place on the all-time scoring list, topping out at over 1,300 points for his career.

Timmy Taylor - a pure PG. So unselfish and makes those around him so much better. Averaged around 12 PPG & 9 APG. Really controls a game as well, just does so in a different manner. The more talent he has around him, the better he looks. Also, shot 50% from the field.

 

Very true. I'd like to see Taylor on his AAU team where everyone can play. And it will be interesting to see where he ends up in college. His size says NAIA or Division III, but I think a small D1 school could take a chance on him and see it pay big dividends down the line.

  • Author
Very true. I'd like to see Taylor on his AAU team where everyone can play. And it will be interesting to see where he ends up in college. His size says NAIA or Division III, but I think a small D1 school could take a chance on him and see it pay big dividends down the line.

 

He's playing for Hoop Dreams and I believe Conway and Carson will be playing with him. Not sure of the whole roster but I am thinking he'll have a spectacular summer.

  • Author

Placing the Big 3 from Wayne County was by far the toughest task of putting these teams together.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.