Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Garrard Coaching Staff

Featured Replies

I know Jerry Perry is the new coach at Garrard... Any news on his staff? Getting close to spring practice.

I'm pretty sure Charlie Owens is staying on. Bret Baierlein, former Garrard Middle School coach and assistant coach at Mercer County High the last two years, is coming back to Lancaster to coach. I've only heard those two because they were announced as people players needed to meet with for something at school. Beyond that, I've heard nothing.

  • Author
Wonder if Perry is going after anyone he coached with at Boyle or Danville?

 

Good question... Though, I would think the Boyle guys he would go after (Hester, for example) are pretty settled in there. Not sure he and Harp had a lot of good help at Danville, toward the end. Though Earnest Dunn always seemed like a good guy to me.

Why would a Boyle assistant want to take a step backward by taking a job at Garrard. I like Garrard, but you have to be realistic about your situation there. The other problem that any coach faces in trying to hire assistants is there must be teaching positions available unless you hire a para-professional.

  • Author
Why would a Boyle assistant want to take a step backward by taking a job at Garrard. I like Garrard, but you have to be realistic about your situation there. The other problem that any coach faces in trying to hire assistants is there must be teaching positions available unless you hire a para-professional.

 

Would think there are some positions available. Scenters & Kirk were both teachers, right? I don't think it would necessarily be a step back, if you went from a position coach to a coordinator. How well does GC pay coaches?

Why would a Boyle assistant want to take a step backward by taking a job at Garrard. I like Garrard, but you have to be realistic about your situation there. The other problem that any coach faces in trying to hire assistants is there must be teaching positions available unless you hire a para-professional.

 

I think it would be a situational thing. If you can move from Boyle to Garrard (or any school) for a better job or better pay, you have to consider it. If you can get a better teaching job (or a teaching job in general for younger guys), you have to consider it. But then you also have to think about the status of the program - maybe you stay where you are for less pay, but more wins. Lots of things go into job decisions.

I think it would be a situational thing. If you can move from Boyle to Garrard (or any school) for a better job or better pay, you have to consider it. If you can get a better teaching job (or a teaching job in general for younger guys), you have to consider it. But then you also have to think about the status of the program - maybe you stay where you are for less pay, but more wins. Lots of things go into job decisions.

 

Though Boyle may be the bigger household name program, with it comes a much shorter leash and much greater expectations. If this were Division 1 NCAA Football where an assistant is getting paid 800K it may be worth it to stay at the more prestigious school with more pressure..but when talking about HS Football where an assistant coach just wants stability for his family a lateral move for the same pay and less pressure is a much more enticing option.

 

If Garrard finishes 2nd in the District three straight years your job is safe and he may even get a raise..if Boyle does that he may be on the chopping block. Not worth the gamble.

 

I have always had a theory that if I were a school trying to take my football program more seriously with a brand new young Head Coach that this would be the route I would consider going. Invest in your HC and give him a long term guaranteed contract then promise the 2nd tier assistants at elite schools a guaranteed teaching position and the same pay.

 

The idea of stability and the chance to build something and be a part of it while one bad season elsewhere and you may be out of a job.

Atlcat you don't think like any good HS coach I have ever met.

Atlcat you don't think like any good HS coach I have ever met.

 

Probably the reason I am not one HAHA

  • Author

IDK. Still haven't heard anything.

I'm pretty sure Charlie Owens is staying on. Bret Baierlein, former Garrard Middle School coach and assistant coach at Mercer County High the last two years, is coming back to Lancaster to coach. I've only heard those two because they were announced as people players needed to meet with for something at school. Beyond that, I've heard nothing.

 

I dont think Charlie is on staff.

Wonder if Perry is going after anyone he coached with at Boyle or Danville?

 

No one leaving BCHS for GCHS (Boyle wised up and are finally paying JH)

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.