Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Week Zero BYE Question

Featured Replies

What are the pros and cons for what to do on a Week 0 BYE. (Note: I'm not a fan of the Week 0 BYE, but interesting questions have arose)

 

Do you take the BYE as a chance for a break, why or why not?

 

Do you take advantage of the two scrimmage rule and schedule a team? If so, what caliber of talent do you bring into town to play as your opposition?

Some coaches don't like the bye week at all, so they take it in week 0 then play their full season without a week off. I think that is the best option for anyone that doesn't like the bye week. I know, over the years, I have seen a lot of teams have a lot of trouble getting back in the groove after a bye week, I suppose that is why some coaches don't like it.

 

Personally, I would prefer going back to the way it was years ago, play 10 games, have a bye week to prepare for playoff teams that you may not know much about, then play the playoffs. But, that's just me.

Somerset usually plays week 0 and used to take the bye the last week of the regular season to let injuries get better. This week they had a scheduling snafu and ended up with two bye weeks and just nine games.

I think there are pros and cons for having a bye week, and the same is true for having 2 scrimmages. To each his own.

 

I personally think having that 2nd scrimmage in week 0 helps Belfry quite a bit most years.

Some coaches don't like the bye week at all, so they take it in week 0 then play their full season without a week off. I think that is the best option for anyone that doesn't like the bye week. I know, over the years, I have seen a lot of teams have a lot of trouble getting back in the groove after a bye week, I suppose that is why some coaches don't like it.

 

Personally, I would prefer going back to the way it was years ago, play 10 games, have a bye week to prepare for playoff teams that you may not know much about, then play the playoffs. But, that's just me.

 

When was there a bye week before playoffs? Don't remember that one.

When was there a bye week before playoffs? Don't remember that one.
You used to have 11 weeks to play 10 games. You could schedule your bye week whenever it suited you.
  • Author

I know defenses could use the extra looks at different formations and read and reactions are good for tape to coach off of. Some offenses don't hit their full potential until mid way through the season and that extra scrimmage could be helpful for that. Drawbacks are possible injuries for games that are meaningless.

 

Give me better reasons not to have a second scrimmage....

When was there a bye week before playoffs? Don't remember that one.

 

You used to have 11 weeks to play 10 games. You could schedule your bye week whenever it suited you.

In the late 80's everyone had a bye week in week 11 (or 12 when we played 11 games), then started the playoffs after the bye week.

My memory must be failing me, Ram, I don't remember the bye week ever being the last week for everybody.

My memory must be failing me, Ram, I don't remember the bye week ever being the last week for everybody.

Well, I will leave room for doubt, but I thought when I played, we played 11 games for a while, then 10 games and everyone had a week off, then started the playoffs. I may be wrong.

At one time, we did play 11 regular season games but there was never a week off that I can recall. I guess if a team only played 10 games in the 11 weeks, they would have a week off.

I remember the 11 game schedules, I think that came into play around 86 or so, at the time when they made the change to having 2 teams from each district make the playoffs instead of just 1.

 

Then I also remember having 11 weeks to get in 10 games. Everybody had an open week, I just don't remember it having to be the same week for everybody.

We played 11 games in both 1980 and 1981.

I hate playing in week 0. I like have 2 scrimmages. Gives you an extra week to work and dont have to be in a hurry to install so much. I like having an OPEN week right in the middle of the season. Kids need a break to rest their boddies. Smaller schools that have small roster really is good.

Just went back and looked, HHS played an 11 game regular season in 1981 and 1982. None after that. Still don't remember any byes before playoffs but I guess there were.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.