Coaching changes in the 14th

It is that time of the year again and the rumor mill is swirling. So please lets stay with the facts and honestly discuss any pending changes and please do not say disparaging remarks about any coach. These guys all work hard and may not always find the success they wanted but lets give them the credit for taking on a tough job.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly can't see Paul Smith returning to Owsley. I believe this year has been too much for him. Paul doesn't have to do it, and I wouldn't blame him for not returning. He is retired, and doesn't need all of the drama that has recently hit Owsley Co. Mark my words, Owsley will be in the hunt for a new coach...soon

If Paul smith doesn't return, Owsley needs to look for an enthusiastic young coach, and try to gat stabalized at the top position. Owsley has had top notch coaches in recent years, Charlie Turner, Larry Sparks and Tim Bobrowski, but has been kind of in a state of flux lately. I made the point on another thread that I saw similarities at Owsley, as what happened at Lee in the late eighties throughout the 90's, and one of those similiarities is no continuity in the head coaching position. I think Paul Smith knows what he is doing, and is a good Coach, but I have heard what sixtyfeetsix is saying from other folks in Booneville.

I also believe that it needs to be a younger more "up-beat" coach. Such as the Lee County Danny Wright. He is a great example of an exciting coach who gets his players to play their hearts out for him. I really believe that there is a generation gap that is way too big between some coaches and their players. No doubt Coach Paul Smith knows the game of basketball, but his players don't seem to respond to him. The problem is, the players may not respond to anyone! Team chemistry is a wierd thing. You either have it, or you don't.

1. Smith at Owsley

2. Coldiron at Powell

I think these are the only two underacheivers in the region that don't have the clout or backing to stay put. I think Hall at Breathitt would come a distant third. I think he has another year before the heat really goes up. Powell has the third largest enrollment in the 14th. they are supposed to compete year end and year out. It just isn't happening, they can't seem to get any numbers out to play ( less than 15 in entire program 9-12) and community support and attendance is at all time lows.

I also believe that it needs to be a younger more "up-beat" coach. Such as the Lee County Danny Wright. He is a great example of an exciting coach who gets his players to play their hearts out for him. I really believe that there is a generation gap that is way too big between some coaches and their players. No doubt Coach Paul Smith knows the game of basketball, but his players don't seem to respond to him. The problem is, the players may not respond to anyone! Team chemistry is a wierd thing. You either have it, or you don't.

:thumb: :thumb:

I don't think Wolfe's coach is in ant hotseat, He is a bball legend there and his Dad is a coaching legend. Also wait to see if any transfers come in this summer and if any other coaching legends(fraley) stop by to help work out some kinks

I don't think Wolfe's coach is in ant hotseat, He is a bball legend there and his Dad is a coaching legend. Also wait to see if any transfers come in this summer and if any other coaching legends(fraley) stop by to help work out some kinks

:D JOB SECURITY :sssh:

I dont see Coach Creech leaving Wolfe County. He played there and his dad was a very successful coach there. He isnt going anywhere.

Coach Hall at Breathitt in my opinion has the most pressure. He has a team of kids that if I recall won the middle school state championship and he is just off a successful season from a year ago. The pressure is on Coach Hall to succeed.

Coldiron at Powell led his school to the sweet 16 a couple years ago for the first time since the 70's. He is a good coach with an outstanding knowledge of the game. I dont look to see him going anywhere.

Other guys i've heard mentioned.

1. the kcc coach, i forget his name but the rumor has died down after the lee & pcc wins.

2. Holland at PCC was mentioned as not getting along with some staff & might be gone but he is a legend so i dont look for this to happen.

Other guys i've heard mentioned.

1. the kcc coach, i forget his name but the rumor has died down after the lee & pcc wins.

2. Holland at PCC was mentioned as not getting along with some staff & might be gone but he is a legend so i dont look for this to happen.

Duke will fire Coach K before PCC loses Al Holland.

I believe the hot seats are at

1 Wolfe

2 Owsley

3 Hazard( if they lose to PCC in the district)

4 Breathitt( not as hot as the others)

If these prove to be true who will be the next coaches in line for these spots?

Wolfe-Rudd has been there for a while, also kenny bell has been successful?? Hall??

Owsley-I'm sure the days of bobrowski would be nice but i think there is too much water under the bridge for his return?? Hall???

Hazard-I've heard from several that Holland is gone in PCC & is going to hazard but seems too hard to believe. Campbell has Perry co roots & may apply for the job.

Breathitt-I think Hall is a great coach & person. I think expectations have gotten the better of him & his team. His team is primarily sophomores (so a JV team) & playing WAY above their heads. they will be good in 2 years, so they need to give Hall a break. If they get rid of him, who will be the next coach? Bobrowski is in the school system & Lively has sprinted up the ranks at Jackson City.

The thing that bothers me is the fact that some schools won't actively recruit new coaches into the schools. I would like to see Owsley Co stop trying to "make it with what they have", and put some effort in finding a good coach. There are a lot of young coaches/teachers who are looking for employment. Don't make a teacher coach if they don't want to. I'm afraid that happens from time to time.

The thing that bothers me is the fact that some schools won't actively recruit new coaches into the schools. I would like to see Owsley Co stop trying to "make it with what they have", and put some effort in finding a good coach. There are a lot of young coaches/teachers who are looking for employment. Don't make a teacher coach if they don't want to. I'm afraid that happens from time to time.

:thumb: :thumb: Once again!