August 3, 201313 yr I don't know who he is and I'm kind of glad I don't.Rangel is a WWII hero but more recently a slimy tax cheat. To make matters worse, he was formerly Chairman of the Joint Committee on Taxation and of the House Ways and Means. Rangel is not just a Congressman, he was one of the House's most powerful members until ethical lapses took him down a few notches. Rangel was overseeing the creation of tax laws that most Americans follow, while he was actively evading the payment of his "fair share." All that being said, Rangel has always seemed to be a likable rogue to me. I have seen him on Hannity's show several times back when I watched it more often.
August 3, 201313 yr So is it not racist if Im not offended?Good point, HB20. Racism is more about intent than words. OTOH, based on my observations, Rangel is may be among the least racist members of the Congressional Black Caucus. They are generally an intolerant group that do not welcome black Republicans who manage to get elected to Congress.
August 3, 201313 yr So is it not racist if Im not offended? Didn't say that. Just saying that a word such as cracker, that has no real history as a slur before its invention as a counterpoint to the n-word, simply doesn't carry the same impact. To wit: As far as I know, there weren't any places that had signs on the edge of town saying "Cracker, don't let the sun go down on your white behind in this town." As the link below points out, there are a lot of places in the US that subbed the n-word in for cracker. Shamefully, there are lots of them in Ky, in fact. Sundown Towns
August 3, 201313 yr Didn't say that. Just saying that a word such as cracker, that has no real history as a slur before its invention as a counterpoint to the n-word, simply doesn't carry the same impact. To wit: As far as I know, there weren't any places that had signs on the edge of town saying "Cracker, don't let the sun go down on your white behind in this town." As the link below points out, there are a lot of places in the US that subbed the n-word in for cracker. Shamefully, there are lots of them in Ky, in fact. Sundown Towns I wish it said why some of those towns were on that list...some just showed census numbers but didn't say why they made the list.
August 3, 201313 yr I've never been offended by the term regardless of the intent. Guy is a low life.
August 3, 201313 yr I wish it said why some of those towns were on that list...some just showed census numbers but didn't say why they made the list. Some have additional information — there is an extensive entry about Corbin, for example — but the census numbers are designed to show either steep dropoffs of the black population, or a nonexistent black population. While that doesn't necessarily prove anything, it does make one wonder.
August 3, 201313 yr Some have additional information — there is an extensive entry about Corbin, for example — but the census numbers are designed to show either steep dropoffs of the black population, or a nonexistent black population. While that doesn't necessarily prove anything, it does make one wonder. Yeah I used to work in Corbin and was aware of the story posted, also worked in Prestonsburg where a similar incident happened but it was not on there. I submitted some info to him on a town where I used to work in Indiana, concerning people in town refusing to by meat at my store because of one of the meat cutters skin color.
August 3, 201313 yr Didn't say that. Just saying that a word such as cracker, that has no real history as a slur before its invention as a counterpoint to the n-word, simply doesn't carry the same impact. To wit: As far as I know, there weren't any places that had signs on the edge of town saying "Cracker, don't let the sun go down on your white behind in this town." As the link below points out, there are a lot of places in the US that subbed the n-word in for cracker. Shamefully, there are lots of them in Ky, in fact. Sundown Towns Hilarious. Where are the black people in NKY bunched up at? Covington. :lol: :lol:
August 3, 201313 yr Hilarious. Where are the black people in NKY bunched up at? Covington. :lol: :lol:None in FT or HH
August 3, 201313 yr Yeah I used to work in Corbin and was aware of the story posted, also worked in Prestonsburg where a similar incident happened but it was not on there. I submitted some info to him on a town where I used to work in Indiana, concerning people in town refusing to by meat at my store because of one of the meat cutters skin color. Yeah, our neighbors across the river don't come across real well either. Indiana has more towns listed than any of them, I think. Oklahoma and Texas aren't real good about it either.
August 3, 201313 yr Hilarious. Where are the black people in NKY bunched up at? Covington. :lol: :lol: Newport used to be pretty bad as well, but has seen its black population increase in the last couple decades. To 7.6 percent.
August 3, 201313 yr Didn't say that. Just saying that a word such as cracker, that has no real history as a slur before its invention as a counterpoint to the n-word, simply doesn't carry the same impact. To wit: As far as I know, there weren't any places that had signs on the edge of town saying "Cracker, don't let the sun go down on your white behind in this town." As the link below points out, there are a lot of places in the US that subbed the n-word in for cracker. Shamefully, there are lots of them in Ky, in fact. Sundown Towns Oh, there were whites treated in a similar manner as well. No Irish Need Apply or no Irish allowed comes to mind. Many racist people felt the Irish were worse than black people. They were noted for being poor, dirty, criminals and thieves and if they were Irish and Catholic then it was double trouble for them. The big difference, of course, is that compared to how blacks are still viewed by some, it was short lived for the Irish.
August 3, 201313 yr Oh, there were whites treated in a similar manner as well. No Irish Need Apply or no Irish allowed comes to mind. Many racist people felt the Irish were worse than black people. They were noted for being poor, dirty, criminals and thieves and if they were Irish and Catholic then it was double trouble for them. The big difference, of course, is that compared to how blacks are still viewed by some, it was short lived for the Irish. Right, but that's a specific ethnic group here, not all whites. Racist Americans weren't really making the distinction of preferring Malinese over Congolese and such.
August 3, 201313 yr Right, but that's a specific ethnic group here, not all whites. Racist Americans weren't really making the distinction of preferring Malinese over Congolese and such.No argument, just pointing out it did happen to some whites. I realize the difference, though.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.