Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best Catchers

Featured Replies

Quentin Murray from Highlands is no slouch..

  • Replies 35
  • Views 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Passed Ball or Wild Pitch that wasn't blocked? There's a big difference. I wasn't there so I don't know, but stolen bases are more often the result of a pitcher with slow delivery or not being able to keep the runner close to 1st. What catcher stops all of them? Did he have any Pick offs? Having seen Nick play a few times, I'm guessing no catcher on the list would have stopped all of them and he belongs ont he list. Is he the top, probably not, but he definitely belongs on the list. Unless something has happened, I have to believe his Pop-Time is in the top 5 in NKY.

I'd be interested in how you want to determine top 5 pop times in NKY.

Fussinger has a pop time last year clocked at 1.8 and this year has been clocked at 1.9 and 1.8. Anything under a 2.2 is considered very good.

 

Pitchers have an awful lot to do with how succesful a catcher is at throwing anyone out, if the ball is in the dirt or even outside when calling for an inside pitch etc. can make all the difference in whether a runner is thrown out or not.

I'd be interested in how you want to determine top 5 pop times in NKY.

Fussinger has a pop time last year clocked at 1.8 and this year has been clocked at 1.9 and 1.8. Anything under a 2.2 is considered very good.

 

Pitchers have an awful lot to do with how succesful a catcher is at throwing anyone out, if the ball is in the dirt or even outside when calling for an inside pitch etc. can make all the difference in whether a runner is thrown out or not.

 

Well--What good is a great POP-TIME if the catcher does not throw out a runner in an actual game? I did not see anyone thrown out at the CCH/Cooper game the other night from either side. I am sure that since it was a pitching duel for most of the game--it was the pitchers fault.

Well--What good is a great POP-TIME if the catcher does not throw out a runner in an actual game? I did not see anyone thrown out at the CCH/Cooper game the other night from either side. I am sure that since it was a pitching duel for most of the game--it was the pitchers fault.

The game before Cooper threw out the only base stealer of the game for Carrol County when the runner got a great jump and the throw was down at 2nd so quick the runner tried to turn around and go back to first.

 

Just saying. It happens.Take 1 game and form an opinion about a catcher is pretty sad,.

I'd be interested in how you want to determine top 5 pop times in NKY.

Fussinger has a pop time last year clocked at 1.8 and this year has been clocked at 1.9 and 1.8. Anything under a 2.2 is considered very good.

 

Pitchers have an awful lot to do with how succesful a catcher is at throwing anyone out, if the ball is in the dirt or even outside when calling for an inside pitch etc. can make all the difference in whether a runner is thrown out or not.

 

 

A solid Major League time is under 2.00 seconds

 

 

Most Major League catchers are in the 1.80 - 1.98 range, on average

Top 2013 catchers pop time in the nation according to perfect game:

 

1 Brian Navarreto 1.80 National Showcase Arlington Country Day acksonville FL

2 Brandon Davis 1.82 Sunshine East Showcase Gulf Shores Gulf Shores AL

3 Nick Ciuffo 1.83 National Showcase Lexington Charleston SC

3 Andrew Dunlap 1.83 Sunshine South Showcase Westbury Houston TX

3 Mickey Peterson 1.83 Rocky Mountain Showcase Legend Parker CO

I haven't seen most of the catchers mentioned but will throw out montgomery county's catcher, Clay Barton. He does a great job handling the pitchers, tremendous blocking ability and an accurate cannon for an arm.

Top 2013 catchers pop time in the nation according to perfect game:

 

1 Brian Navarreto 1.80 National Showcase Arlington Country Day acksonville FL

2 Brandon Davis 1.82 Sunshine East Showcase Gulf Shores Gulf Shores AL

3 Nick Ciuffo 1.83 National Showcase Lexington Charleston SC

3 Andrew Dunlap 1.83 Sunshine South Showcase Westbury Houston TX

3 Mickey Peterson 1.83 Rocky Mountain Showcase Legend Parker CO

 

 

I was told Tanner Norton was in the 1.85-1.9 range. Given that, and these top PG times provided by truthbtold, I find it unlikely Cooper's catcher (or any other local catchers) are 1.8 or even 1.9.

I was told Tanner Norton was in the 1.85-1.9 range. Given that, and these top PG times provided by truthbtold, I find it unlikely Cooper's catcher (or any other local catchers) are 1.8 or even 1.9.

Believe what you want, I have no official times for he hasn't gone to any official showcases that truthbtold talked about. Simply going off of unofficial coaches time last year so can't help you there. I will add though Cooper starter last year Max was clocked even faster in the low 1.8's last year. So believe what you want, makes no difference to me.

A professional catcher I know said last year that while pop times are important, how a catcher frames pitch after pitch is more important. After all, in an average game a catcher receives 90+ pitches and throws down to 2nd or 3rd a few times a game. It's so much more than pop times.

A professional catcher I know said last year that while pop times are important, how a catcher frames pitch after pitch is more important. After all, in an average game a catcher receives 90+ pitches and throws down to 2nd or 3rd a few times a game. It's so much more than pop times.

True, how a catcher frames and blocks pitches will always be more important than annything else he does.

Quentin Murray from Highlands is no slouch..

 

I always forget about Murray. Solid ball player. I'd put him 3rd behind Norton (1st) and Kramer (2nd).

A professional catcher I know said last year that while pop times are important, how a catcher frames pitch after pitch is more important. After all, in an average game a catcher receives 90+ pitches and throws down to 2nd or 3rd a few times a game. It's so much more than pop times.

 

I definitely would agree with this. I was simply trying to make the point that just because 3 bases got stolen, that's not generally on the catcher. Well, at least with a decent catcher.

 

Unfortunately, for some reason, catcher tryouts are almost always about throwing down to the bases and especially Pop-Time to 2nd base.

I'd be interested in how you want to determine top 5 pop times in NKY.

Fussinger has a pop time last year clocked at 1.8 and this year has been clocked at 1.9 and 1.8. Anything under a 2.2 is considered very good.

 

Pitchers have an awful lot to do with how succesful a catcher is at throwing anyone out, if the ball is in the dirt or even outside when calling for an inside pitch etc. can make all the difference in whether a runner is thrown out or not.

 

Gee, I think someone made that point.

 

There's only one way to determine Pop-Times and I can telly you that you can only use averages. I have seen it done at tryouts where no on was under 2 seconds and I have seen it done where all kids were under 2 seconds. You just can't compare the times from different places.

 

I have only ever seen it done manually, but I assume that at some tryouts and showcases they do it with some sort of computer equipment.

I would be somewhat suspicious of someone touting a 1.8 sec high school pop time unless it has occurred at a Perfect Game camp or something similar. 1.8 is a very good time for a major league catcher, much less a high schooler. I suspect this falls into the same category of every fast high school school runner automatically running "4.6" or a high school pitcher that throws hard automatically throwing in the "mid-80's." Certainly not saying impossible by any means, but I'd be curious to know the basis for crediting some catcher around here with a 1.8 pop time.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.