Will Newport Central Catholic be competitive this year?

The departing senior class had quite a few contributors and was very deep. The Breds return some nice interior line pieces and some experience on defense. Franzen, Smith, Sutkamp and Donnelly all return and will fill offensive spots. They will certainly have enough to be very competitive in and out of their AA class. I am interested to see what happens with the QB spot but would be more than shocked if Pangallo was in the mix. Why would he come back to football?

Who will be returning to play o-line for the Breds?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is who the Breds will face in 2013 with opponents 2012 record.

Newport Central Catholic 2013 Schedule

Aug. 16 @ Holmes (scrimmage) 4A

Aug. 23 vs Ashland Blazer 4A 9-3

Aug. 30 vs Cooper 5A 13-2

Sept 06 @ Campbell Co. 6A 7-5

Sept 13 @ Simon Kenton 6A 9-4

Sept 20 vs Dixie 6A 3-8

Sept 27 vs Lloyd 2A 8-4

Oct. 04 vs OPEN ("donnybrook" special) 15-0

Oct. 11 @ Newport 2A 3-8

Oct. 18 @ Brossart 2A 1-9

Oct. 25 vs Holy Cross 2A 4-8

Oct. 31 vs Beechwood 1A 9-5

With this school losing their QB, RB, Best Defensive player, and getting a new Coach will they be able to win this year?

Debatable about losing their best defensive player....

Sutkamp and Meeks were pretty good, and lyon was their best run defender as well as rushing the QB.

Sutkamp, if I'm spelling that right, is going to murder this season. Lyon and Meeks will be special.

Sutkamp and Meeks were pretty good, and lyon was their best run defender as well as rushing the QB.

Sutkamp, if I'm spelling that right, is going to murder this season. Lyon and Meeks will be special.

Thacker was a total stud on defense and was no doubt their best defensive player.

The departing senior class had quite a few contributors and was very deep. The Breds return some nice interior line pieces and some experience on defense. Franzen, Smith, Sutkamp and Donnelly all return and will fill offensive spots. They will certainly have enough to be very competitive in and out of their AA class. I am interested to see what happens with the QB spot but would be more than shocked if Pangallo was in the mix. Why would he come back to football?

For two reasons, first he will be the starting QB if he decides to play. Second, he will be the starting QB.....

Seniors to be, Sutkamp and Meeks were exceptional last season. With that said, there are several Juniors to be that will need to fulfill assignments on both sides of the ball and they contributed on the varsity level last season.

Gray on Special Teams & receiver

Hoover on the o-line & DE

Neff on the defensive side of the ball, DE, DT, LB and Special Teams...not sure where he will be on the offensive side of the ball

Weilen(sp) o-line.

At DE, Anost(sp) was the best run defender and pass rusher...this kid got better each and every week. Lyon must get stronger to become the best run defender and pass rusher at DE his senior year.

NCC will be competitive, but the next 2 years belong to the Caldwell County Tigers and Elijah Sindelar.

Yeah, he will be good for Trinity, that's where he's heading.

This is not the 1st time I have heard this. Could the rumors be true??????

Seniors to be, Sutkamp and Meeks were exceptional last season. With that said, there are several Juniors to be that will need to fulfill assignments on both sides of the ball and they contributed on the varsity level last season.

Neff on the defensive side of the ball, DE, DT, LB and Special Teams...not sure where he will be on the offensive side of the ball

Weilen(sp) o-line.

At DE, Anost(sp) was the best run defender and pass rusher...this kid got better each and every week. Lyon must get stronger to become the best run defender and pass rusher at DE his senior year.

I would argue with you, but you clearly don't know enough about the game of football and have no idea what you are talking about. You may need to watch some game film.

I will say this, gray will have to play, what he lacks in size and speed, he makes up for in knowledge and heart. 2 things you can't coach, kids either have or they don't.

Weilen(sp) o-line.

I would argue with you, but you clearly don't know enough about the game of football and have no idea what you are talking about. You may need to watch some game film.

I will say this, gray will have to play, what he lacks in size and speed, he makes up for in knowledge and heart. 2 things you can't coach, kids either have or they don't.

Don't forget Stephen Brooks on the offensive line and likely at LB on defense. Would love to see Neff playing a pulling guard spot on offense to utilize his athleticism. I think the defense can be pretty effective with those already mentioned and Calvin Moore.

I'm not going to debate on what Thacker brought to the table. Great kid who loved the game, hope continues to keep playing a game he loves.

Fair enough. Several of the Beechwood players told me Thacker was the hardest hitter they faced all year. Beechwood played some high level competition so that is well earned praise.

Don't forget Stephen Brooks on the offensive line and likely at LB on defense. Would love to see Neff playing a pulling guard spot on offense to utilize his athleticism. I think the defense can be pretty effective with those already mentioned and Calvin Moore.

Hope the Brooks kid stays healthy! Both Moore and Brooks bring a lot to the field and will continue to be key factors in the Breds success along with many others.