Closer Than Expected First Round Games

In the Ninth Region, each of the top 3 teams had closer games than expected.

NCC had beaten HHS by 37 earlier in the year - this time only up 7 late into the 4th qtr.

Holmes had beaten Beechwood by 26 - took just a 7 point lead to the start of the 4th quarter.

Cooper had twice beaten Conner by 11 - were down double digits in the fourth and survived with a double OT victory.

Are the favorites playing too tight? Playing not to lose? Are the underdogs playing a bit over their heads? What's up?

Some random thoughts: I respectfully disagree about the great tourney coach myth because Conner "had every business" in this game. Coaching in the 4th was the difference in the game. Coach Sullly is amazing and stays so positive and intense. Pretty sure this is 5 years in a row for Conner to miss the region. Props to Ciach Hicks for a good job of preparation but he deserved full credit for this L in a game the kids had won. I thought this would be a very tough game for Cooper with the strong rivalry between the 2 schools. It is not uncommon for something like this to hapoen in sports. AJ Collins is a rare breed- a super classy and clutch 3-sport athlete who simply has an indomitable will to win. I will miss watching him on the gridiron, court and field as much as any other NKY athlete in a long time. Conner should have won this game. Very very bitter loss and great game. Congrats to the Jags. A true definition of survive and advance.

Some random thoughts: I respectfully disagree about the great tourney coach myth because Conner "had every business" in this game. Coaching in the 4th was the difference in the game. Coach Sullly is amazing and stays so positive and intense. Pretty sure this is 5 years in a row for Conner to miss the region. Props to Ciach Hicks for a good job of preparation but he deserved full credit for this L in a game the kids had won. I thought this would be a very tough game for Cooper with the strong rivalry between the 2 schools. It is not uncommon for something like this to hapoen in sports. AJ Collins is a rare breed- a super classy and clutch 3-sport athlete who simply has an indomitable will to win. I will miss watching him on the gridiron, court and field as much as any other NKY athlete in a long time. Conner should have won this game. Very very bitter loss and great game. Congrats to the Jags. A true definition of survive and advance.

Couldn't of said it better. I was wondering why Conner didn't go to their bench more, I don't think Rueholt even saw the floor and he is a great shooter yet never saw the floor the entire game I don't think.

One thing people are saying about Conner in the 4th and not holding the ball, they actually tried to several times but the defense from Cooper got the best of them on several of those possessions and caused several offensive fouls against Conner. I don't buy into the theory they didn't try and hold the ball to run the clock down 100%.

I agree though that Coach Hicks may be a good coach but for Plato to claim he is a great coach is a bit confusing. A great coach doesn't lose a game like that. A great coach also doesn't miss regionals for 5 years straight. At times Coach Hicks seems to be to interested in what the officials are doing during games than coaching his team....that is just what I've observed after watching them play Cooper 3 times this year. Coach Sully is constantly coaching his players throughout the entire game whether the player is on the bench or the court. They believe in him and he keeps them calm when other teams would panic. Conner had a great game plan going into this game, but their player rotation confused me a bit. When you are playing the defense Conner started out playing for 3 qtr's you need a rotation to give your players a break and I just didn't see the bench going deep enough which surprised me because Conner does have more than 6 players on that team and it seemed he stuck with only 6 players the majority of the time.

Highlands kids wanted it more than NCC, heck even Coach Brannen yelled that at one of his players when Turner dove and got a loose ball. They just couldn't get a couple breaks toward the end. NCC was primed for an upset though. This was a 6-7 pt loss imo the padded FT's were due to fouling in the last minute.

I tend to think it is a combination of things. A) The underdog knows who they are going to play and can prepare for that one game and work just on that aspect for a couple of weeks. E.g. Zone, or double team X player etc. B) The favorite just needs to win they don't need to win by XX number of points so teams play conservative to avoid foul trouble etc. C) The underdog has no worries it is their last game most likely. All the pressure is on the favorites especially if the game is close in the latter stages.

Jim Hicks at Conner is just a good coach. Especially at tournament time...

I agree though that Coach Hicks may be a good coach but for Plato to claim he is a great coach is a bit confusing. .

Who is confusing?

Misquote much?