Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

So how are NKY area tryouts going so far?

Featured Replies

  • Author

13u...Midland Chiefs.

  • Replies 71
  • Views 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13u...Midland Chiefs.

I know it's hard for kids especially when they are pretty talented like your son is when the numbers game comes into play. I will tell you that if he's good enough to help the team he would make the freshman team and play a lot. The problem with Cooper this year is they only lost 1-2 starters last year to graduation, they were a very young varsity team last year with Juniors and Sophomores. When you only lose 2 starters and i believe only 4 seniors all together and have 17 Juniors this year trying out for only 4 available spots means the JV team will be JR heavy. The problem is many of the JR players that will be put on the JV team are Varsity quality players but the numbers game comes into effect.

 

With that said, a good pitcher will always have priority and that is why I said your son should have no problem if he's good pitcher to see plenty of playing time. Pitchers will always take priority over position players.

 

So I know you understand but I hope your son will realize if he wants to play JV or whatever level he wants to and doesn't get selected for that level it's deffinatley not because he isn't good enough, it's just that this Cooper team this year at all levels has so many upperclassmen that are also good enough.

 

BTW, I don't know which boy is yours, but I was at the intrasquad scrimmage today also and my boy was catching and caught a couple of the younger pitchers and commented on how good they were, so if one was your son he has a very bright future.

  • Author
I know it's hard for kids especially when they are pretty talented like your son is when the numbers game comes into play. I will tell you that if he's good enough to help the team he would make the freshman team and play a lot. The problem with Cooper this year is they only lost 1-2 starters last year to graduation, they were a very young varsity team last year with Juniors and Sophomores. When you only lose 2 starters and i believe only 4 seniors all together and have 17 Juniors this year trying out for only 4 available spots means the JV team will be JR heavy. The problem is many of the JR players that will be put on the JV team are Varsity quality players but the numbers game comes into effect.

 

With that said, a good pitcher will always have priority and that is why I said your son should have no problem if he's good pitcher to see plenty of playing time. Pitchers will always take priority over position players.

 

So I know you understand but I hope your son will realize if he wants to play JV or whatever level he wants to and doesn't get selected for that level it's deffinatley not because he isn't good enough, it's just that this Cooper team this year at all levels has so many upperclassmen that are also good enough.

 

BTW, I don't know which boy is yours, but I was at the intrasquad scrimmage today also and my boy was catching and caught a couple of the younger pitchers and commented on how good they were, so if one was your son he has a very bright future.

 

I hope I'm doing this right...he was the 2nd to last pitcher for the Gold squad.

I hope I'm doing this right...he was the 2nd to last pitcher for the Gold squad.

Yep, my boy caught him. I liked what I saw and remember when he was warming up he had a really nice fast ball and that caught my eye for a kid that young.

It is an interesting situation to have a 7th or 8th grader that plays SWOL National league and wants to tryout for the High School team. Each situation is different but I would guess that SWOL National team will be playing better competition in general then most High School freshman or JV teams will. Also, most 13u and 14u SWOL teams schedule games and tourneys to begin in late March or early April. So depending on the team, they could be short a player or more if they have kids make the High School team. I am trying to say which is right and which is wrong, just thinking which is better for the kid in the long run? Does he play 13u or 14u?

 

Agree with this, I would trust Coach Bieger will do what's best for your boy, and his team, in the long run.

  • Author
Yep, my boy caught him. I liked what I saw and remember when he was warming up he had a really nice fast ball and that caught my eye for a kid that young.

 

just wait til you see his 12/6 curve...real knee buckler...they only let him throw 5 a game on his club team. They say the first high profile arm they blow out will be their last. He slows his arm speed on it sometimes and hangs it. But when he throws a good one, it's virtually unhittable.

just wait til you see his 12/6 curve...real knee buckler...they only let him throw 5 a game on his club team. They say the first high profile arm they blow out will be their last. He slows his arm speed on it sometimes and hangs it. But when he throws a good one, it's virtually unhittable.

Thats awesome, but I would teach him a good changeup, you don't want someone that young throwing curve balls too much. Arm is way too young and very sucseptiple (sp) to arm problems. I know when my boy was in 8th grade and played for the freshman team they wouldn't let any of the pitchers throw any breaking stuff, just fast balls and changeups.

 

Please make sure he is careful with that, even in warmups. I know kids love to throw the curve ball when they have a good one or first learn how to throw it, but there are too many very talented kids who no longer can pitch because of arm problems mainly due to throwing that kind of pitch when their bodies weren't ready for it. Remember that Hamilton team that made it to the Little League World Series? I don't think any of those pitchers ended up pitching late in their HS careers because of just that.

 

I thought he had a great fastball and with a changeup he will be very good. If he can wait until he is 16 or even 15 to really start throwing the curve he will really be much better pitcher.

If what I think I'm reading is correct, WTF32's son is a 7th grader. If so, Hellbird, unless your son stuck around for the afternoon session to help catch, I doubt he caught him. I think there were only a couple of Freshman on the Varsity/JV scrimmage who have promise of making the JV team. I could be wrong, but with the numbers Cooper has this year I doubt they keep any 7th graders unless they are just a stud who would start everyday as a Frosh and even then I doubt I would go below an 8th grader. A SWOL National league team see's better competition than NKY Freshman teams overall.

If what I think I'm reading is correct, WTF32's son is a 7th grader. If so, Hellbird, unless your son stuck around for the afternoon session to help catch, I doubt he caught him. I think there were only a couple of Freshman on the Varsity/JV scrimmage who have promise of making the JV team. I could be wrong, but with the numbers Cooper has this year I doubt they keep any 7th graders unless they are just a stud who would start everyday as a Frosh and even then I doubt I would go below an 8th grader. A SWOL National league team see's better competition than NKY Freshman teams overall.

The Varsity/JV intrasquad scrimmage had a few of the freshman players pitch a couple innings toward the end. I thought he said Bieger had him pitch in that scrimmmage, i know there was a kid who was young pitch 2nd to last.

 

You could be right though, but whoever the kid was who pitched 2nd to last in the Varsity/JV scrimmage, he had a good fastball.

The Varsity/JV intrasquad scrimmage had a few of the freshman players pitch a couple innings toward the end. I thought he said Bieger had him pitch in that scrimmmage, i know there was a kid who was young pitch 2nd to last.

 

You could be right though, but whoever the kid was who pitched 2nd to last in the Varsity/JV scrimmage, he had a good fastball.

 

I think the last couple were Freshman who have a chance at JV.

  • Author
I think the last couple were Freshman who have a chance at JV.

 

Either way WTF32`s boy is a Midland stud....not a matter of if but when.

Upcoming week of weather, save Monday, is absolutely horrible - lots of rain and highs in the 30's all the way through the weekend. :irked: Sure is an advantage for those teams that have access to a turf field, as it looks to be a while before anyone is getting on a real ballfield.

If you want another pitch to add to his fastball and change, have him learn to throw a sinker. That will keep his arm in the natural pronation postition.

 

just wait til you see his 12/6 curve...real knee buckler...they only let him throw 5 a game on his club team. They say the first high profile arm they blow out will be their last. He slows his arm speed on it sometimes and hangs it. But when he throws a good one, it's virtually unhittable.
If you want another pitch to add to his fastball and change, have him learn to throw a sinker. That will keep his arm in the natural pronation postition.

Agreed. If you have a good fastball with velocity you can also learn a good slider by simply moving your finger placement that you won't put his arm in jeopardy.

Agreed. If you have a good fastball with velocity you can also learn a good slider by simply moving your finger placement that you won't put his arm in jeopardy.

 

Should a 13 yr. old be attempting a slider at this point? What's the right age?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.