Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Skip Bayless on place kicking in football. Do away with it.

Featured Replies

  • Replies 60
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

It has always just been an accepted part of the game so to make such a drastic change seems far out there, but I think he makes a compelling case.

I think instead of kicking a football for kickoffs, they should place Skip Bayless' head on a tee and kick that.

  • Author
I think instead of kicking a football for kickoffs, they should place Skip Bayless' head on a tee and kick that.

 

Did you read the article? It is more about FG kickers. The kickoff thing is going to happen at some point.

Then I say do away with relief pitchers in baseball, especially the "closer" role. No one wants to see a closer come in a blow a big game because they throw one pitch and leave it over the plate and cause their team to lose 1-0. Make the starting pitchers last all 9 innings. I think this is an absolute joke.

 

Special teams in all honesty make up a 1/3 of the game. You may not realize that watching without a great depth of knowledge about football, but when you have a Kicker who can kick 50 yard FGs or punters who can punt out of the end zone and make the other team start the drive on their own 30-35 yard line, that changes the game. The best comedy skit I've ever seen was George Carlin explaining football in relation to war. Special teams is a way to attack through scoring, or pushing the line of battle back into your favor. Kicking, whether it be FG or punting, is at the heart of the game.

The game is called football, right? Kinda hard to take the kicking out of the game and still call it "football," no???

Get rid of the field goal. I'm with Skip and I haven't read the article yet. Going to though.

 

 

I'd love to do away with the relief pitcher also.

 

 

I also despise Skip Bayless.

 

 

We are one serious injury away from kickoffs being taken out of the game.

The game is called football, right? Kinda hard to take the kicking out of the game and still call it "football," no???

 

 

The game is already an oxymoron. The foot on the ball is a minimal part of the game. Real football is what we Americans choose to call soccer.

  • Author
Then I say do away with relief pitchers in baseball, especially the "closer" role. No one wants to see a closer come in a blow a big game because they throw one pitch and leave it over the plate and cause their team to lose 1-0. Make the starting pitchers last all 9 innings. I think this is an absolute joke.

 

Special teams in all honesty make up a 1/3 of the game. You may not realize that watching without a great depth of knowledge about football, but when you have a Kicker who can kick 50 yard FGs or punters who can punt out of the end zone and make the other team start the drive on their own 30-35 yard line, that changes the game. The best comedy skit I've ever seen was George Carlin explaining football in relation to war. Special teams is a way to attack through scoring, or pushing the line of battle back into your favor. Kicking, whether it be FG or punting, is at the heart of the game.

The baseball analogy is a terrible one. Totally different sports and goals attempting to be accomplished. And I assure you I understand football. I have played it, coached it, and consider myself an aficionado of sorts :D

 

Apparently you didn't read the article. He was not advocating doing away with punting, just FG kicking. It is kind of odd when you think about it that guys can battle it out all game long in an epic battle and then some undrafted free agent 165 pound guy with a fragile psyche has the game in their hands (or feet). It may be the only play they see in an entire game. I think behind a QB a kicker is the most important player on a team, yet they are usually the lowest paid players -- which is odd.

 

I think it is just something we have grown to accept as part of the game. At one time place kicking was done exclusively by the actual players. The game just evolved over the years in to making place kicking a "specialty" position to the point of where it is today.

  • Author

Apparently he has gotten a lot of feedback from players that are in agreement with him.

Not to mention the kicker is the lowest paid member on the team. Justin Tucker makes 390K yet the Super Bowl could have been in his hands to win or lose. Let the players like Joe Flacco who wants Brady/Manning money win the game on the field. Not Justin Tucker. No Fortune 500 business would send in it's lowest paid employee to finish off a business transaction. Why should football teams?

 

 

Kill the kicker!!!!

Apparently he has gotten a lot of feedback from players that are in agreement with him.

 

 

I bet. Nothing worse than taking a beating for 59 minutes and 57 seconds only to watch the kicker come out and ruin it.

  • Author
The game is called football, right? Kinda hard to take the kicking out of the game and still call it "football," no???

It is called football because of its history and revolution from actual futbol -> rugby -> American football.

A point should be made that kickers are not the only players who can screw up the end of a game. A highly paid QB can throw a late INT, a RB can fumble at the 1 yd line, a WR can have a key drop, or a CB should have a pass interference penalty that leads to an opponent's score. Kickers add flavor to the game. Yes, they are irritating nutcases. But, field goals (and extra points) are part of football scoring strategy. Football without kicking would be a different game IMO (not good or bad, but different). I think it is great to see a QB work a two minute drill to go downfield and get his team in position to tie the game and send it into overtime. I like the overtime changes taking the one possession FG winning kick out of play (although I would prefer something like what college and high school does). Somebody should do a beta test and start a league without kicking. See how it is received. I think it go over like a cake that looks good, but is missing an ingredient.

The baseball analogy is a terrible one. Totally different sports and goals attempting to be accomplished. And I assure you I understand football. I have played it, coached it, and consider myself an aficionado of sorts :D

 

Apparently you didn't read the article. He was not advocating doing away with punting, just FG kicking. It is kind of odd when you think about it that guys can battle it out all game long in an epic battle and then some undrafted free agent 165 pound guy with a fragile psyche has the game in their hands (or feet). It may be the only play they see in an entire game. I think behind a QB a kicker is the most important player on a team, yet they are usually the lowest paid players -- which is odd.

 

I think it is just something we have grown to accept as part of the game. At one time place kicking was done exclusively by the actual players. The game just evolved over the years in to making place kicking a "specialty" position to the point of where it is today.

 

I was implying that the average fan watching would be unaware.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.