September 27, 201214 yr Well, at the very least it makes Screamin A. Smith feel uncomfortable. Cam Newton Cartoon Fair Or Foul? - ESPN Video - ESPN
September 27, 201214 yr Well, at the very least it makes Screamin A. Smith feel uncomfortable. Cam Newton Cartoon Fair Or Foul? - ESPN Video - ESPN Well of coarse that doesn't surprise me at all.
September 27, 201214 yr Do I think it is racist, not sure, maybe, I don't know... However, the peeps on ESPN's First Take had some racial issues with it so no I am not the only person in the world to ask the question and/or bring it up for discussion. And I don't want you to take my statement out of context, my yes was not a yes it is racist, it was a yes I am asking the question in response to Crash Davis' question. Oh all right, I understand what you were saying. I just don't see it as it being anything other than calling Cam soft by showing the Hello Kitty opposed to the Superman S. Who had some racial issues on First Take? Was it Skip or Stephen A.?
September 27, 201214 yr Well, at the very least it makes Screamin A. Smith feel uncomfortable. Cam Newton Cartoon Fair Or Foul? - ESPN Video - ESPN Haha, nevermind. Of course it was one of those two.
September 27, 201214 yr Here's the litmus test: If the same cartoon had run in Green Bay with Aaron Rodgers doing his title belt move in a losing effort would everyone think that was racist? No. What is the message? Don't ever poke fun at African-Americans who draw attention to themselves while their team is getting blown out? Geez. Edited September 27, 201214 yr by sports fan spelling
September 27, 201214 yr Before declaring it racist I would first want to see more of a representation of how the cartoonist portrays other blacks. Each editorial cartoonist has their own distinct style of drawing, and exaggeration is sometimes a part of that. For example, there are cartoonists who will distort facial features, such as, perhaps, eyebrows, head size, ears and, yep, sometimes lips. I don't know that this is necessarily the case here, as I'm not particularly familiar with this cartoonist's work. I also don't even know if that color is correct on the cartoon, as in the other links it's a B&W image. In certain cases, cartoonists use shading to depict different tones of skin, and that could be what's going on here. More examples of this artist's work, including past representations of Newton, if they are available, would help. I'd need more information, frankly.
September 28, 201214 yr Things like this make me feel bad for the people that really do deal with racism. I didn't even think about it. I still don't think about it in that pic. To me it's saying he's gotten all this praise and been soft. I watched the game last Thurs and they were getting run off the field yet when he scored he made it all about him with that Superman pose. I can understand people around there pissed with all the hype and very little backing it up on the field this year.
September 28, 201214 yr I didn't think of it as a racist depiction. Cam isn't Richard Roundtree black either. I thought it was funny and hopefully the point got to Cam to tone it down a bit on the self-absorbed celebration.
September 28, 201214 yr I didn't think of it as a racist depiction. Cam isn't Richard Roundtree black either. I thought it was funny and hopefully the point got to Cam to tone it down a bit on the self-absorbed celebration. How's Cam's celebration any different than Aaron Rodgers or Victor Cruz?
September 28, 201214 yr How's Cam's celebration any different than Aaron Rodgers or Victor Cruz? The implication is he's making a big deal out of scoring meaningless TDs. I can't say as much about Cruz as I've not watched him as much, but Rodgers tends to reserve his celebrations for big moments. They certainly aren't making a big show while getting drilled by three scores.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.