Justin Johnson Leaving Sheldon Clark (Rumor)

Going to be interesting to watch this play out. Will it be one of the classics? Parent got a job transfer/offer in Hazard or going to take care of a sick grandmother.

I heard it's a retirement situation and family could relocate wherever they wanted. Just so happened it was in Hazard. Maybe they have excellent retirement homes around Carr Fork Lake?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even if it is a job transfer or retirement, the question will be why did they just now decide to move to Perry Co.? The answer: the coach at Sheldon Clark got the job there and he wants to play for him. The coach even commented that the kid has enrolled so is the coach taking the player or is the player following the coach? For the record it doesn't matter to me where the kid plays, I have no vested interest in Sheldon Clark or Perry Co. I just want to see how this plays out with the transfer rule. It seems that some kids are ruled elgible and others are ruled ineligible. What happened to the days when a coach took a job at a school and he was required to coach the kids at that school instead of bringing in other kids. To me it is an injustice to the kids who are already in the program and who have put in the time.

Why did the kid transfer? Obviously to play for the coach.. KHSAA handbook states in bylaw 6 that a student cannot transfer for athletic purposes only. I would say this is for athletic purposes only. Some adults should do this kid a favor and tell him to stay at Sheldon Clark rather than risk a year of eligibility. Wasn't a kid at Scott Co ruled ineligible a few years ago after transferring from Rose Hill (not Dakota, but the other kid)?

The kid at Scott County that was ineligible came from LCA -- Tanner Shotwell. His family lives in Georgetown and he went there all the way up through middle school. He transferred to LCA and as a freshman played only freshman basketball and a few minutes of varsity. He decided to transfer back to Scott County, but the family never moved at any point and he was ruled ineligible to play at Scott County and had to sit out a season. Completely different situation because the kid didn't move.

But, that is the loophole. Shotwell simply wanted to come back with his friends, but since he didn't move couldn't play. All these other kids in various counties (including some others at Scott County) are moving for what EVERYBODY knows is one reason -- basketball -- but yet they are ruled ineligible.

Either the KHSAA needs to put a 1 year you must sitout transfer rule no matter the reason or just let kids transfer whenever, wherever and for whatever reason they want. Forget the rulings and the in between, let's make it a black and white without the grey area.

The kid at Scott County that was ineligible came from LCA -- Tanner Shotwell. His family lives in Georgetown and he went there all the way up through middle school. He transferred to LCA and as a freshman played only freshman basketball and a few minutes of varsity. He decided to transfer back to Scott County, but the family never moved at any point and he was ruled ineligible to play at Scott County and had to sit out a season. Completely different situation because the kid didn't move.

But, that is the loophole. Shotwell simply wanted to come back with his friends, but since he didn't move couldn't play. All these other kids in various counties (including some others at Scott County) are moving for what EVERYBODY knows is one reason -- basketball -- but yet they are ruled ineligible.

Either the KHSAA needs to put a 1 year you must sitout transfer rule no matter the reason or just let kids transfer whenever, wherever and for whatever reason they want. Forget the rulings and the in between, let's make it a black and white without the grey area.

By the way I meant they are ruled eligible.