Nike EYBL Team to move to Kentucky

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after a conversation today things are making more sense. Louisville Magic moving to Lexington and taking over for the Travellers? Nike building a prominent AAU program in Cal's backyard???

Thats the only thing that makes sense to me as I didn't see any current Magic kids leaving that program with the success they have had.

So what does this mean now? Help a brother out. Louisville Magic is moving to Lexington AND switching from Adidas to Nike? Is that what is happening?

Not 100% sure yet, but that was what it sounded like after talking to a source very connected to the KY scene this afternoon. It made a lot of sense out of something that seemed off from the start, so I passed it along...

Not 100% sure yet, but that was what it sounded like after talking to a source very connected to the KY scene this afternoon. It made a lot of sense out of something that seemed off from the start, so I passed it along...

Here is how I have heard it......

1) The Travelers have a year left on thier contract so they WILL be in the EYBL this year.

2) The EYBL will not be adding anymore teams. (Meaning Magic kids will have to play with Travelers if they want to play in EYBL)

3) Magic kids are planning to stay and play for Ellis and whatever circuit he is on. It's thier last year, they want to play together, and they want to play for Ellis.

Here is how I have heard it......

1) The Travelers have a year left on thier contract so they WILL be in the EYBL this year.

2) The EYBL will not be adding anymore teams. (Meaning Magic kids will have to play with Travelers if they want to play in EYBL)

3) Magic kids are planning to stay and play for Ellis and whatever circuit he is on. It's thier last year, they want to play together, and they want to play for Ellis.

1) The program is already moving to Lexington and likely changing names. They will keep EYBL status either way.

2) Not totally true. KY kids could play for Spiece, All Ohio Red, Bluff City, King James.

3) That's why the original article was so strange. If Ellis moved over to coach this 17U team with his guys it all makes a lot more sense...

The information on the Travelers' contract is pure speculation. Anyone who is stating that as a fact has no knowledge of the Travelers' contract. It should be pointed out that the Travelers have been a Nike program for 18 years and are one of the original Nike programs. Here are some facts regarding the Travelers:

1. Over 200 college scholarships (average just under 10 per graduating class)

2. Over 100 Division I signees

3. 24 SEC players

4. 5 NBA players (David Vaughn, Ron Mercer, David Harrison, Vincent Yarbrough, Corey Brewer)

5. 4 McDonald's All-Americans (Mercer, Harrison, Yarbrough, Brewer)

The information on the Travelers' contract is pure speculation. Anyone who is stating that as a fact has no knowledge of the Travelers' contract. It should be pointed out that the Travelers have been a Nike program for 18 years and are one of the original Nike programs. Here are some facts regarding the Travelers:

3. 24 SEC players

4. 5 NBA players (David Vaughn, Ron Mercer, David Harrison, Vincent Yarbrough, Corey Brewer)

Welcome to BGP Traveler Tradition. I look forward to more insight from you and the Traveler's program.

3. 24 SEC players

So what is the situation? Are the Travelers moving to Kentucky and are they going after current Louisville Magic players?

• 2 weeks later...
So what is the situation? Are the Travelers moving to Kentucky and are they going after current Louisville Magic players?

They're moving to Kentucky and going after the best players they can get, which includes Magic players, Shane Hall, etc.

I don't see any chance of the Magic moving to Lexington and being a Nike team. I talked to Andy Rines (Travelers Program Director) a little over a week ago and Nike has been very supportive of their move to KY. Plus Ellis is Adidas through and through (Compton Magic, Louisville, etc.) so the change makes little sense as he's already had a top 5 AAU program with Adidas.