Region 1 ends in a mess.

I didnt even know this until about an hour ago. Lone Oak trailed at their final at bat. Two runners on and there is a base hit into right center. The trail runner on first rounds second and goes to third. The ss causes obstruction. She continues to third, the lead runner rounded third but went back. So she is on third when the trail runner (who was obstructed) arrives. The trail runner sees this and heads back to second where she gets into a rundown and is tagged out. This was the last out of the game. BUT

Video is at wpsdtv.com

The umpires ruled the obstruction protected the runner so they put her back on second since the lead runner did not advance past third.

The next batter hits into left field and both runs score and Lone Oak wins by one. If the out stood Reidland wins.

Ruling correct?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see How the actual obstruction occurred. If she was slowed by the fielder, it probably saved them from getting in a rundown As far as the rule goes, they got it right...I think.

My big question is did obstruction actually occur...there's a fine line between obstruction and incidental contact.

My initial reaction is that it was not handled correctly.

My understanding of obstruction protects the runner to the base they would have gotten to had the defense not obstructed.

Since she got to 2nd base and THEN was obstructed PLUS the fact that she could not have gone to third base I say she is out.

Let me ask some real umpires.

Well, looks like I was only right IF it was a league using OBR but since it's high school they use a different book.

According to the ump that updated it was not handled correctly. FED(high school) rules say that the award is automatically the next base past where they were obstructed. So this would move the runner to 3rd which means the runner who was on 3rd would have moved to home ie scored.

Clyde, let me ask you this. She is protected to the base she is going to. I get that. But she got there. When she touches third base, the other runner is already standing on the base. So it appears to me that she decided to go back to second the obstruction was over. I agree with you that if anything they should have said she gets third, and the runner scores. But can you award a base that isnt going to be open?

IF she's awarded an additional base, that should have occurred when the infraction happened, so she would get to advance to 3rd and the other runner to home.play should have stopped at that point. I was incorrect in my 1st post.

Clyde, let me ask you this. She is protected to the base she is going to. I get that. But she got there. When she touches third base, the other runner is already standing on the base. So it appears to me that she decided to go back to second the obstruction was over. I agree with you that if anything they should have said she gets third, and the runner scores. But can you award a base that isnt going to be open?

I missed the part that R1 actually touched 3B and rounded it and THEN went back.

In OBR I'd she would be out but I'm not sure what the FED rule is. Let me check.

IF she's awarded an additional base, that should have occurred when the infraction happened, so she would get to advance to 3rd and the other runner to home.play should have stopped at that point. I was incorrect in my 1st post.

Not true if I'm following you. The ball does not become dead when the obstruction occurs. The runner is protected but can still try to advance past the base she is protected to.

Not true if I'm following you. The ball does not become dead when the obstruction occurs. The runner is protected but can still try to advance past the base she is protected to.

Wow..I'm struggling with this rule. Had the lead runner not returned to 3rd before the trail runner touched the base, what happens then? Does it change her being protected?

Is there a difference between obstruction & interference?

Obstruction happens when a defender interferes with a runner.

There are different types of interference. If a runner runs into a fielder who is trying to field the ball that can be interference. There is also batter interference when, for example, a batter interferes with the catcher while the catcher is making a play or a throw.

Wow..I'm struggling with this rule. Had the lead runner not returned to 3rd before the trail runner touched the base, what happens then? Does it change her being protected?

If the obstruction took place after the runner touched second base FED rules say the runner automatically gets 3rd and the runner who was on third moves up to score.

If you are saying the first runner kept going and touched home plate then the second runner would get 3rd base.

I am not sure (and I am checking) to see what happens when the obstructed runner goes past the base they were protected to but then went back to the previous base. In MLB that runner would be out. Not sure if FED rules are the same.

If the obstruction took place after the runner touched second base FED rules say the runner automatically gets 3rd and the runner who was on third moves up to score.

If you are saying the first runner kept going and touched home plate then the second runner would get 3rd base.

I am not sure (and I am checking) to see what happens when the obstructed runner goes past the base they were protected to but then went back to the previous base. In MLB that runner would be out. Not sure if FED rules are the same.

If I'm reading the initial post correctly, the obstructed runner never actually made it to third. The runner ahead of her rounded third and returned to the base. When the obstructed runner saw this, she retreated towards second where she was tagged out. So she never made it to the base she was protected to. Again, that's how I read the initial post.