Shaq as GM

On the surface, it seems silly. But could he really do a worse job than some of the other clowns in NBA GM positions?

True words, honestly Shaq has always seemed like a goof to me however I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was a solid GM.

Shaw hates Howard and takes any opportunity to blast him. I have no clue how they think this is a good idea unless they know they are trading Howard. Being a GM takes a lot of work and time to I'm not sure Shaq would be willing to put in. It's not just about picking out good players from bad players.

If it gets him off and CWebb back on Inside the NBA I'm a HUGE fan.

I agree.

Shaw hates Howard and takes any opportunity to blast him. I have no clue how they think this is a good idea unless they know they are trading Howard. Being a GM takes a lot of work and time to I'm not sure Shaq would be willing to put in. It's not just about picking out good players from bad players.

As a professional athlete and well-educated man, Shaq appears to be pretty disciplined (at least on the surface). I don't think he'd have a problem putting in the time to be a good GM.

As a professional athlete and well-educated man, Shaq appears to be pretty disciplined (at least on the surface). I don't think he'd have a problem putting in the time to be a good GM.

A pro that often came into seasons out of shape showing he clearly wasn't putting in the time.

A pro that often came into seasons out of shape showing he clearly wasn't putting in the time.

A pro athlete that returned in 2000 to earn his degree from LSU. A pro athlete that earned his MBA online in 2005. A pro athlete that earned a doctoral degree in Human Resource Development in 2012. And a pro athlete who has stated that he plans to attend law school.

Also a pro athlete who has worked in police enforcement in LA and Miami.

I don't necessarily like the idea of hiring Shaq as a GM, but to say that he might not be willing to put in the time isn't fair...

Hiring a former player is tricky, it could turn out one of two ways. One would be that he's seen enough over his career to know a good talent when he sees it and build a good team. The other would be MJ's case where he thinks he can judge talent and your team becomes the worst in NBA history. If I hired him, I would make sure he had someone with experience to back him up and advise.

A pro athlete that returned in 2000 to earn his degree from LSU. A pro athlete that earned his MBA online in 2005. A pro athlete that earned a doctoral degree in Human Resource Development in 2012. And a pro athlete who has stated that he plans to attend law school.

I don't necessarily like the idea of hiring Shaq as a GM, but to say that he might not be willing to put in the time isn't fair...

To dismiss what HT was saying isn't fair either. It wasn't a few pounds and a week or two out of shape. Shaq would come in criminally overweight and out-of-shape. I think it's a legitimate concern.

It is not 100% full proof because there are exceptions to the rule, but I generally agree with Skip Bayless's theory, "the better the player, the worse evaluator of talent." I am not seeing how being one year removed from playing and being a bad TV analyst qualifies one to be a GM. He has the degrees, but no true experience in day-to-day operations of an NBA organization.

It is not 100% full proof because there are exceptions to the rule, but I generally agree with Skip Bayless's theory, "the better the player, the worse evaluator of talent." I am not seeing how being one year removed from playing and being a bad TV analyst qualifies one to be a GM. He has the degrees, but no true experience in day-to-day operations of an NBA organization.
Is Bird the outlier?

Is Bird the outlier?
No, Jerry West :D

Bird has done a solid job, but I am not convinced he has built anything more than a solid team that will never do anything spectacular... maxing out this season. Bird has had a nice career within the NBA post-career. He was a really good coach, despite only doing it for 3 seasons.

To dismiss what HT was saying isn't fair either. It wasn't a few pounds and a week or two out of shape. Shaq would come in criminally overweight and out-of-shape. I think it's a legitimate concern.

Like FKYW said dismissing what he did for years isn't fair either. What does him working in the police for have to do with anything? He has should both good and bad worth ethic so it would be a concern IMO.

Side note, I had no idea you could complete your doctorate through online courses and video conferences.