9th Region Field

9th Region Field is almost set.

As far as I know there is only 1 spot left to be decided later today.

33rd - Ryle & Conner

34th - Dixie & St. Henry

35th - Cov Cath & Holy Cross

36th - NCC & winner of Highlands/Newport (played today)

Early thoughts ?

Teams who think they can pitch off on St. Henry or HHS will only be kidding themselves and those who do, could be in for a huge rude awakening if they try. This year, the winner of the ninth must have a pitching staff for them to win it all!

Teams who think they can pitch off on St. Henry or HHS will only be kidding themselves and those who do, could be in for a huge rude awakening if they try. This year, the winner of the ninth must have a pitching staff for them to win it all!

I was just saying the same thing to someone last night. Go with your best in each game. Those who try and save their best for the next game will be watching from the stands vs the dugout.

I was just saying the same thing to someone last night. Go with your best in each game. Those who try and save their best for the next game will be watching from the stands vs the dugout.

A good general rule to follow, but not an absolute. You certainly have to take into some consideration the quality of your opponent and the overall the depth of your staff. If Newport would upset Highlands tonight and advance to the region, I'll bet there's a good chance some teams would go with their #2 pitcher.

No one wants Conner or Ryle in game 1. Ace is too good.

Conner will be a very tough draw for any winner with Maines on the hill and Conner has no choice but to throw him out there IMO. However, for Ryle, Coach Roesel may decide to go with a #2 unless facing HC or CovCath. You have to win 3 games to advance so it is worth a calculated risk IMHO when you have a very solid #2 and #3, which Ryle has.

Conner will be a very tough draw for any winner with Maines on the hill and Conner has no choice but to throw him out there IMO. However, for Ryle, Coach Roesel may decide to go with a #2 unless facing HC or CovCath. You have to win 3 games to advance so it is worth a calculated risk IMHO when you have a very solid #2 and #3, which Ryle has.

The great region debate.

The great region debate.

Indeed. There are situations when it is a worthy risk, but it has to be right. As TOG pointed out, St. Henry would probably not be a worthwhile risk because they have a very good pitcher that can cool down good offenses. Ryle played them twice this year and only won 5-2 and 3-2. Not as certain about Highlands and could see someone taking a calculated risk there. Generally speaking, I am also usually of the mindset that you can't win the next game if you're not playing in it. I can remember a couple of tournaments as a coach in which I had perfectly strategized to save my ace in the championship game. Slightly disappointing when we watched that game from the bleachers. Though at least my ace's arm was totally fresh for the next league game during the week.

Congratulations to Highlands pulling the upset to beat NCC for the 36th district title. Back in 2009, a strong NewCath team was upset in the 36th final and ended up the # 2 seed from the 36th.

2009 was the last year Ryle made Region play (as the # 1 seed from the 33rd). Then came the draw and Ryle drew the # 2 team from the 36th - NewCath.....not the best prize for being a # 1 seed. Could this be deja vu all over again?.... I suppose the draw is Saturday?