Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Are the players taking the concussions too far?

Featured Replies

I will worry about our military veterns getting proper compensation before I worry about former NFL players.

 

Apples and oranges. This debate centers around an employer and their responsibilities.

I don't fully buy the "they know there are risks."

 

To me that's the same as saying to a police officer who was put into a cruiser that was known to have faulty brakes and telling him/her "hey, police officers take risks" when they sue over the fact their car caused them injury.

 

The issue centers around those that did know or should have known that sending players back to play prematurely can cause life-threatening issues.

To answer the question, yes I think the players are taking this a little far but I think it is in part a response to the NFL doing a poor job of taking care of retired players.

 

Turnabout is fair play...

Isn't that the Union's job?
Isn't that the Union's job?

 

Both the employer and the Union. The Union can't control what they get in retirement but they can make retirement benefits an issue and pursue and negotiate with the league on how to take care of retired players.

How many of these guys sueing the NFL used bounties like Cris Carter talked about? Hey lets sue the league for our concussions when we were 'head hunting' and then the NFLPA can file a a suit because the NFL is suspending players that head hunt. Everyone is placing blame on everyone else.

I don't fully buy the "they know there are risks."

 

To me that's the same as saying to a police officer who was put into a cruiser that was known to have faulty brakes and telling him/her "hey, police officers take risks" when they sue over the fact their car caused them injury.

 

The issue centers around those that did know or should have known that sending players back to play prematurely can cause life-threatening issues.

 

I agree with you. However I really don't think the info is being hidden by the owners or coaches. They are getting the info the same time the general public is IMO, or at the very least very close to the same time. The current players know the info yet they still play and they still try to hide from the doctors how hurt they are. My guess is at the time of their careers the old guys even with this knowledge would have wanted back on the field. The mentality it takes to be an NFL player is what endangers their long term health.

There are 1000s of players looking to sue the NFL for the lack of attention given to concussions and/or preventive measures that could have taken place to thwart what appears to be an epidemic.

 

My question, is it fair all players are looking for once source of blame in this? Is the NFL the full source of the blame? Do the players not assume any responsibility? I am not a neurologist but anyone could tell you that repeated collisions are not good for your long term mental or physical health, regardless of the protective gear you are wearing. Football by nature is a violent sport, and the NFL is as violent as it gets. I have always thought that was a known fact when you chose that profession. Incredibly high risk, high reward.

 

I think all are aware of the health risk that comes along with the game. It's obvious you could and probably are going to get hurt at some point. But I think the issue is that we are just now starting to learn about the long-term brain damage players are sustaining, the NFL has had a history of ignoring the issue, and is now dragging its feet with regard to it (defenseless receiver rules, new concussion rules, etc. are bandaids). Just because they make millions of dollars are they not entitled to a certain level of safety? Are they not allowed to agitate for a change? I mean, it's a game.

I agree with you. However I really don't think the info is being hidden by the owners or coaches. They are getting the info the same time the general public is IMO, or at the very least very close to the same time. The current players know the info yet they still play and they still try to hide from the doctors how hurt they are. My guess is at the time of their careers the old guys even with this knowledge would have wanted back on the field. The mentality it takes to be an NFL player is what endangers their long term health.

 

I don't think it's a case of "info being out there." I think the lawsuits will come down to team medical personnel saying they could go back in when they really should not have.

I don't think it's a case of "info being out there." I think the lawsuits will come down to team medical personnel saying they could go back in when they really should not have.

 

 

That is the info I'm talking about. I can not and will not be convinced that medical staff on football teams 20 years or even 10 years ago had knowledge of CTE but chose to ignore it and sent these guys back out there. I really don't think any ex players will win any money in the court of law.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.