Before final game, Gregg Williams urged Saints to injure 49ers

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Niners almost made it to the Super Bowl with the players that where named.

What are you talking about?

The Greg Williams speech in the linked article is the speech he gave before the playoff game the Saints had against the 49ers. He specifically called out several 49ers players and instructed his players on where to hit them in order to take them out of the game. He also made signs with his hands insinuating that he would pay for the first player out of the game (I think he was talking about Smith at the time). So he offered MONEY for his players to injure the opposing QB. And did he care whether or not it was legal? Apparently not since he instructed them to hit the QB in the head. He also instructed his defense to hit them in the head as many times as they could. In the pile, during the play, doesn't matter when...just do it.

What are you talking about?

The Greg Williams speech in the linked article is the speech he gave before the playoff game the Saints had against the 49ers. He specifically called out several 49ers players and instructed his players on where to hit them in order to take them out of the game. He also made signs with his hands insinuating that he would pay for the first player out of the game (I think he was talking about Smith at the time). So he offered MONEY for his players to injure the opposing QB. And did he care whether or not it was legal? Apparently not since he instructed them to hit the QB in the head. He also instructed his defense to hit them in the head as many times as they could. In the pile, during the play, doesn't matter when...just do it.

The 49ers won that game all their players that where named had pretty good games and went on to play in the next game! Smith threw 299 yards 3 touchdowns and was never hurt.

Williams was over the top but if his players never acted on his intentions then they obviously cared somewhat about possible repercussions and not accepting bounty money to intentionally injure anyone. ESPN has yet to show any Saints making illegal hits so while Williams was over the top there still hasn't been any hardcore proof that the Saints did anything more illegal than having a bounty system. As I said earlier I need to see the Saints/49ers game again knowing what I know now to create my own opinion on how the Saints were playing. Visual evidence goes a long way.

The 49ers won that game all their players that where named had pretty good games and went on to play in the next game! Smith threw 299 yards 3 touchdowns and was never hurt.

Doesn't change the fact that Williams tried to get his players to injure the 49ers players.

Doesn't change the fact that Williams tried to get his players to injure the 49ers players.

None of the 49ers players got hurt. Last play of the game Smith threw a touchdown to Davis to win the game. The bounty speech did not work.

None of the 49ers players got hurt. Last play of the game Smith threw a touchdown to Davis to win the game. The bounty speech did not work.

So it's okay to tell your players you will pay them to injure someone as long as no one actually gets injured?

So it's okay to tell your players you will pay them to injure someone as long as no one actually gets injured?

I never said it was ok I said none of the players got hurt. Last year my girl friends son was their best player in pee wee football the other teams coaches had their players try to hurt him. They tried to break his fingers and also kicked him where it counts. He still managed to score at least once. What I am saying is this is nothing new to football.

I never said it was ok I said none of the players got hurt. Last year my girl friends son was their best player in pee wee football the other teams coaches had their players try to hurt him. They tried to break his fingers and also kicked him where it counts. He still managed to score at least once. What I am saying is this is nothing new to football.

If "pay to injure" programs were as common as some people on here think, the Saints wouldn't be the only team out of 32 teams getting grilled. Only Greg Williams teams at this point have been investigated. Do other teams try to hit guys hard? Guarantee it. Do they try to rattle guys? Probably. But that doesn't mean every team has a reward program set up for injuring players. That doesn't mean other teams coaches specifically tell them in pregame speeches to go after an opposing players head (and then offer to pay them for it).