Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

One-and-done? Wish that were the case with tiresome anti-Cal argument

Featured Replies

  • Replies 57
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because Pitino recruited a potential one-and-done, doesn't mean he promised that the player would be one-and-done if he came to Louisville. Pitino recruits, but then pretty much remakes every player he gets. That's the reality. Many people don't like that he recruits that way. I don't doubt that Pitino and Cal will go head to head for the same recruits at times. The players will decide which they want...to play for a coach who can improve them and get them to the NBA in a year, or a coach that likely will break down his game and try to improve him over time.

And I have no basis of saying this, but I bet Calipari is much closer to his former players than Pitino anyways.

 

What makes you think that?

Just because Pitino recruited a potential one-and-done, doesn't mean he promised that the player would be one-and-done if he came to Louisville. Pitino recruits, but then pretty much remakes every player he gets. That's the reality. Many people don't like that he recruits that way. I don't doubt that Pitino and Cal will go head to head for the same recruits at times. The players will decide which they want...to play for a coach who can improve them and get them to the NBA in a year, or a coach that likely will break down his game and try to improve him over time.

 

It's not up to Pitino who turns pro or doesn't unless your saying he holds kids back so they have to stay. That might explain the number of players he has put in the pros in recent years.

  • Author

Rockmom, I'm interested in hearing your opinion on Pitino telling Swopshire he can't come back next year. What is Rick trying to prove or do there? Does he care about the kid, or just what the kid can, or can't do for Louisville?

Rockmom, I'm interested in hearing your opinion on Pitino telling Swopshire he can't come back next year. What is Rick trying to prove or do there? Does he care about the kid, or just what the kid can, or can't do for Louisville?

 

Here's what I understand of the situation: Louisville needs scholarships. Swopshire, although eligible for another year, was not renewed. As I understand it, Pitino talked to him and is helping him find a program where he can go, where he'll get more playing time. Swopshire has had a rough time with injuries at UL. As it stands, he's likely not to get any more playing time than he had this year, and Pitino has been involved in helping him find a program where he can get more PT. I do think he cares. But, is it in the best interest to keep him on the bench, or find him a new team where he can play?

It's not up to Pitino who turns pro or doesn't unless your saying he holds kids back so they have to stay. That might explain the number of players he has put in the pros in recent years.

 

I thought colleges and universities were educational institutions not NBA developmental schools. That's what's wrong with college athletics. Look at the number of professional athletes who went pro early with no degree that are flat broke and have hit rock bottom. Sure we hear about all the success stories but there are many that aren't so pretty.

Here's what I understand of the situation: Louisville needs scholarships. Swopshire, although eligible for another year, was not renewed. As I understand it, Pitino talked to him and is helping him find a program where he can go, where he'll get more playing time. Swopshire has had a rough time with injuries at UL. As it stands, he's likely not to get any more playing time than he had this year, and Pitino has been involved in helping him find a program where he can get more PT. I do think he cares. But, is it in the best interest to keep him on the bench, or find him a new team where he can play?

 

I love that spin. It's in RP's best interesting to use that space/scholarship on a useful player. He is sick of Swop IMO. Why else would he do that to a kid who has struggled with injures? It's pretty cold but it's part of the college world now days.

Just because Pitino recruited a potential one-and-done, doesn't mean he promised that the player would be one-and-done if he came to Louisville. Pitino recruits, but then pretty much remakes every player he gets. That's the reality. Many people don't like that he recruits that way. I don't doubt that Pitino and Cal will go head to head for the same recruits at times. The players will decide which they want...to play for a coach who can improve them and get them to the NBA in a year, or a coach that likely will break down his game and try to improve him over time.

 

So your saying Rick recruits kids that are good enough to go to the NBA, and after a year in the program, they're no longer ready for the NBA?

It's not up to Pitino who turns pro or doesn't unless your saying he holds kids back so they have to stay. That might explain the number of players he has put in the pros in recent years.

 

I would say a player looks to his coach to tell him when he's ready.

 

And I don't think you can say anything against who he's put in the pros recently...except for TWill. And TWill's problem isn't talent. Francisco Garcia seems to be a solid player in the Pros. And you can also look at the players overseas...Dean an O'Bannon are a couple that come to mind.

 

What about former players who've come back as assistants? Andre McGee is at UL with him right now.

 

 

And you are right...it's not up to Pitino who turns pro or doesn't. But he's advised several NOT to turn pro, and they did, with not so good results.

 

I don't think he holds kids back so they'll stay. He's also been known to tell players to find another program.

So your saying Rick recruits kids that are good enough to go to the NBA, and after a year in the program, they're no longer ready for the NBA?

 

No. There are very few kids ready to go to the NBA right out of high school. Very few. I do not think Pitino promises them they'll only have to stay one year to be ready. It's not the way he coaches. None of what I'm saying is a secret. It's been some of the fans dissatisfaction with him over time.

I love that spin. It's in RP's best interesting to use that space/scholarship on a useful player. He is sick of Swop IMO. Why else would he do that to a kid who has struggled with injures? It's pretty cold but it's part of the college world now days.

 

 

Why would he be "sick" of Swopshire because of injuries?

Why would he be "sick" of Swopshire because of injuries?

 

Not necessarily because of injuries just because he didn't pan out and he is carrying dead weight basically and Pitino is in the business of winning. That's pretty much what it comes down to. If he cared he would have given him a red shirt last year when he got hurt.

No. There are very few kids ready to go to the NBA right out of high school. Very few. I do not think Pitino promises them they'll only have to stay one year to be ready. It's not the way he coaches. None of what I'm saying is a secret. It's been some of the fans dissatisfaction with him over time.

 

And you think Cal does?

And you think Cal does?

 

I have no idea. I'm specifically responding to what I think or don't think Pitino does.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.