Everything posted by Eta Rho
-
Can a 8th grader play middle school and varsity basketball?
Nice. Glad to hear he's doing well.
-
Can a 8th grader play middle school and varsity basketball?
Just checked and neither played in the 8th grade tourney. Holmes was 16-0 during their 7th grade year and won the 7th grade title, then started their 8th grade year off at I think 9-0 or 10-0 (25 or 26 consecutive wins) and then Luster, Edmondson, and Jefferson were all three called up to play JV. Holmes made the 8th grade championship with Justin Young, Rodney Covington, Ozzie Smith, Keywon Arnold, and I believe the kid in the middle of the picture holding the basketball was their point guard. However, Luster was sent back down to freshman ball his 9th grade year right before the freshman tourney.
-
Can a 8th grader play middle school and varsity basketball?
Nate was indeed tough to keep up with throughout his high school career. Holmes 7th/8th grade, SK 9th grade, Holmes 10th/11th grade, and Gallatin Co 12th grade. You're right about Luster and Nate, my apologies. The person I spoke to had the two years mixed up. It was the 9th grade tourney that Luster came back down for and Nate was gone that year playing varsity at SK. Now that I think about it, I don't think Austin Hill ever played 8th grade or freshman ball.
-
George Rogers Clark vs Franklin County 2/17
I really don't see any mismatches. Williams v Hicks should be a defensive battle. Neither are known for their scoring abilities but both can flat out get after it on the defensive side. Hatton v Hall- IMO these two are mirror images of one another. I might give Hatton the slight advantage offensively though. Stenzel v Meyer is another great match up. Both can fill it up from outside and are great off the dribble. I see it being an offensive show down between these two. Daniels v Connor- Another pretty even match up. Both are athletic big men that can really get up there. I might give Daniels the advantage as far as athleticism but would say Connor is the stronger and more physical of the two. Zollo v Donovan is another pretty even match up. Zollo can play inside or out but I'd give him the advantage inside and give Donovan the advantage outside. I was very impressed with Andy's range in the Holmes game.
-
George Rogers Clark vs Franklin County 2/17
This should be a really good game looking at the match ups: 5'9 Williams v 6'1 Hicks 6'2 Hatton v 6'3 Hall 6'4 Stenzel v 6'3 Meyer 6'6 Daniels v 6'6 Conner 6'9 Zollo v 6'8 Donovan
-
Comparing State Polls
I think it's going to be J'town. They beat Eastern comfortably and have lost to Ballard by a combined 7 points. I think they get over the hump come March. I don't see Eastern being able to beat both Ballard and J'town or Ballard being able to beat both Eastern and J'town to make it out of the region.
-
History of the 9th region Champions
Not taking anything away from Covcath. But didn't the CCH faithful constantly use the excuse that they lost to Holmes both times last year because it was on Holmes' floor? I think not having this player or that player is a much more legit reason for losing than using the "homecourt advantage" card.
-
Holmes v Conner Predictions (2/17)
Key for Holmes will be to keep Pittman out of foul trouble. Conner was able to get him in foul trouble last time and take advantage through the first 3 quarters down low. I don't think Conner has anyone who can handle Rico, which he showed in the first meeting when he took over in the second half with Pittman on the bench. I too look for Holmes to really get things going and with Conner reeling right now after a loss at HC, I see Holmes winning by 15. Holmes 62 Conner 47
-
Holmes v Conner Predictions (2/17)
Match ups: 6'0 Riley v 6'0 Stephens 6'2 D. Johnson v 6'2 Avery 6'4 J. Johnson v 6'3 Broyles 6'5 R. Johnson v 6'4 C. Lang 6'7 Pittman v 6'5 Hodges
-
History of the 9th region Champions
Might want to check my original post. I never stated that he for sure sat out that game but that I believe he may have. Big difference. My point is, in all of those games against Holmes over that 2 year span, the only two games in which CCH saw all of the Holmes players from beginning til end, CCH lost both.
-
Holmes v Conner Predictions (2/17)
Conner travels to Holmes Tuesday night to take on the Dogs. Holmes comes in 25-2 after the win over Campbell Co. Conner comes in 13-11 and have lost 6 of their last 9. Holmes beat Conner earlier in the year by 7 at the Lloyd Invitational. Thoughts?
-
Scott 54 Covington Catholic 42
:lol: Nice.
-
Scott 54 Covington Catholic 42
See what I had bolded in my original reply. I never once was stating names, just replying to what I had bolded. IMO there's more than one player on that team who does that which is why I didn't originally mention anyone until yourself and CCH5432 did.. :thumb:
-
Comparing State Polls
I think that's how the top 5 will end at the end of the year...:sssh::thumb:
-
Scott 54 Covington Catholic 42
No doubt Luke is a very talented kid. I'd never say that he isn't. I just think Covcath would work better as a TEAM without him. At times he'll help you stay close, but other times he'll take you out of a game real quick. Imo Covcath needs to start playing to their strengths, which isn't Ives and Luke jacking up 3's. Both need to start being more aggressive and taking it to the rim. I've always been most impressed with both players when they try to take it to the rim and get high percentage shots, especially Ives. His ball handling is very underrated.
-
Comparing State Polls
My top 5 at this point: 1. Scott Co 2. Holmes 3. Elliott Co 4. Eastern 5. J'town
-
Scott 54 Covington Catholic 42
I didn't name any players and neither did the original poster that I responded to, so obviously you guys see the same thing with Maile as myself or you wouldn't have mentioned his name. How many times this year has someone else been hot and doing well, only to have Luke come down and throw up an off balanced shot or turn the ball over which kills the Covcath momentum? I've seen several players get very upset with him this year. Actually, during the Holmes game, after a Maile turnover Wellbrock turned around and screamed at Maile right in front of myself and several Beechwood coaches that I was sitting with. I'm not saying Covcath would be better without him because he's the only real scoring threat, but I'm not too sure they wouldn't work better as a TEAM without him.
-
History of the 9th region Champions
That 2007 team also returned Bovard and TJ though. Hardly a drop off in talent between the c/o 2006 and c/o 2007. You can't deny that Rice wouldn't have been a major difference considering he was their leading scorer when he got kicked off the team in 06. As far as Holmes having the easier road to the finals in the region, that just supports my point even more that Holmes would have had a very good chance at winning region that year if not for Rice getting kicked off the team. All IFS, I know, but honestly, Rice not being apart of that Holmes team in 06 had a lot to do with CCH walking through the region the way they did, just like Covcath losing in the region semi's in 04/05 had a lot to do with the reason Holmes won region as easily as they did that year. I believe Jefferson sat out the majority of the first half, if not all of it. I agree it was the players faults that they weren't full strength, but just saying if you're a Covcath fan you can't deny the fact that the wins they had over Holmes those two years had a lot to do with them self destructing and having several players out both years. Since Holmes has played Covcath at full strength, CCH has yet to beat them, including last year when CCH lost all 3 times to them. To date, Holmes has won 5 straight against the Colonels.
-
History of the 9th region Champions
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 97 Highlands team that made it to the state championship game against Eastern.
-
History of the 9th region Champions
Holmes was the overwhelming favorite in nky that year when Rice, Jefferson, Hill, and Edmondson were all juniors. They were undefeated in the region when Rice got kicked off the team. Wins included a 54-51 W over Covcath at Holmes and a 67-62 W over Highlands at Highlands. Rice got kicked off the team after the Highlands game. Holmes beat Dixie by 15 the next game after that and then lost 3 straight, including getting thumped by a Bill Walker led NCH team. I'm not saying Holmes would have beaten Covcath in the region title game that year, but they definetly wouldn't have been knocked out by Dixie in the first round and I think Covcath would have probably saw Holmes in the finals instead of Newcath. You also failed to mention that of those 4 wins, none came against Holmes at full strength. In 06, CCH lost to Holmes at full strength then beat them in the district championship without Rice. In 07, Covcath beat them by 1 in OT without Jefferson, then by 4 at Covcath without Jefferson, Rice, Henderson (I think), Arnold, and a few other bench players, then they met in the district championship and I believe Holmes was missing Jefferson once again. In the region championship, Holmes won by 12 at full strength and Ernst of the Enquirer even stated that this was the first time the two had played with Holmes at full strength since they had beaten Covcath the previous year by 3.
-
Can a 8th grader play middle school and varsity basketball?
Exactly. Hester was counted on to be the "future" of Conner basketball and all Conner was, was a pit stop to play up and get some high school experience. I think this is why kids really shouldn't be brought up to play at the varsity level until their freshman year. Don't be surprised if the same thing happens in the next two years with a certain 7th grader who is playing up right now in NKY.......:sssh:
-
History of the 9th region Champions
I noticed that as well. Covcath, Holmes, Highlands, and Newcath are all prime examples of this.
-
History of the 9th region Champions
Does anyone think Covcath's record of 5 straight region titles from 67-71 will ever be touched? If not for Rice getting kicked off the Holmes team in 2006, there's a very good chance we could be talking about Holmes accomplishing that feat this year and then breaking the record next year with 6 straight. If Holmes 3-peat's this year, it will be just the 5th time in 9th region history: Covcath 67-71 Newcath 73-75 Holmes 76-78 Highlands 97-99 Also, if Holmes wins region this year, they'll be the only team in 9th region history to ever win 4 titles in a 5 year span more than once. The 9th has definetly had some great teams throughout the years.
-
Can a 8th grader play middle school and varsity basketball?
Not sure. I know Jefferson was pulled up to run the point at the JV level because I believe Tony Ramsey was seeing more time at the point on varsity. Edmondson and Luster were both pulled up to JV for a little while but were brought back down right around the time before the 8th grade tourney started.
-
Can a 8th grader play middle school and varsity basketball?
I think you might be wrong. Edmondson WAS at Holmes his 8th grade year. Also, both Luster and Edmondson played in the 8th grade tourney (just spoke with one of their mothers about it). Jefferson did stay up on JV though. Hester was the only one to leave that year and he went to Conner, then Edmondson followed Hester his freshman year to SK. Here is a picture of their 8th grade team: (Edmondson #35, Luster #4, Jefferson #23)