Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kobe vs. Magic

Who's Better? 4 members have voted

  1. 1. Who's Better?

    • Magic Johnson
      25%
      1
    • Kobe Bryant
      75%
      3

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I expect Magic to say those things. He's more humble than he used to be.

 

I would also be interested to see the teams that Kobe beat for those rings versus the ones Magic had to defeat.

 

Magic's Laker teams were awesome. Just stacked.

I expect Magic to say those things. He's more humble than he used to be.

 

I would also be interested to see the teams that Kobe beat for those rings versus the ones Magic had to defeat.

 

 

Don't forget the teams Shaq and Kobe had to defeat in the Western Conference just to get to the Finals also. That can't be forgotten.

 

Shaq and Kobe defeated the Pacers, Nets and 76ers. Kobe and Pau defeated the Celtics(Big 3 + Rondo) and the Orlando Magic.

 

Magic and his Hall of Famers beat the 76ers, Celtics and Pistons. I think that is it.

^

MJ

Kareem

Kobe

Oscar

Bird

 

 

I don't see Magic as a top 5....Top 10? Probably, certainly not top 5 though.

 

 

Easily. Before Kobe and Shaq's generation Magic was regarded as top 2-5 of all time after MJ depending on who was talking. I always argued(before 1996) that Magic was better than MJ. After MJ sat out and then came back and won 3 more titles he sealed the GOAT argument but before that you could make a credible argument that Magic was better than MJ.

May we please have a poll for this thread? I'd love to see the results.

^

MJ

Kareem

Kobe

Oscar

Bird

 

 

I don't see Magic as a top 5....Top 10? Probably, certainly not top 5 though.

Is Russell not in your top 5?
Is Russell not in your top 5?

 

Those aren't my top 5, just 5 off the top of my head that I consider better than Magic. Russell would definitely be ahead of Magic as well.

Those aren't my top 5, just 5 off the top of my head that I consider better than Magic. Russell would definitely be ahead of Magic as well.
Gotcha, my mistake.
Old folks(30+ qualifies) will say Magic. More people like Magic and despise Kobe so their bias will say Magic. I have seen both play in their prime. I love both. I love Kobe more. My bias leads me to say Kobe. He won the same amount of titles with less Hall of Famers surrounding him than what Magic had. This is another you-can't-go-wrong-with-either-one scenario. I think this is more of a personal preference question. You are taking about two of the top 5 players of all time. Not just Lakers....of all players of all time.

 

To me, this is one of the more interesting debates. And, for me personally, one of the most difficult. I would classify as an "old folk" since I'm over 30. Kobe is my current favorite, and probably my second favorite player of all-time, but if I'm being honest, I'd give Magic a slight edge in this debate.

 

I think Magic is better statistically. Both guys proved themselves to be clutch performers at the highest level. I think the 6 combined regular season and finals MVP awards versus Kobe's 3 means something. I also look back to Magic's first ring when he played center for the injured Kareem and delivered one of the greatest single game performances in NBA history to lead LA to a title.

 

Yes, Magic's supporting cast may have been better, but so where the team's he had to beat to win titles in that era, IMO. That's a wash.

 

I see it similar to you though. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I'm not going to try to convince anyone that says Kobe, but I can tell you why I pick Magic.

I believe Magic was 5-3 in NBA Finals, and Kobe is currently 5-2. So, both have 5 rings.

 

Some stats...

 

Magic

19.5 ppg

7.2 rpg

11.2 apg/3.9 TO

1.9 spg

0.4 bpg

52.0% FG (30.3% 3Pt)

84.8% FT

MVP - 1986-87, 1988-89, 1989-90

Finals MVP - 1980, 1982, 1987

 

Kobe

25.4 ppg

5.3 rpg

4.7 apg/2.9 TO

1.5 spg

0.5 bpg

45.4% FG (33.8% 3Pt)

83.7% FT

MVP - 2007-08

Finals MVP - 2009, 2010

 

Those stats lead me to believe that its not even close and its Magic. Tough to compare across positions in the NBA tough. PFs and Cs can be compared and wings can be compared be it the 2 or the 3, but PG numbers look nothing like SGs numbers.

Magic wasn't better than Bird? Come on now. I'm a big Big O fan, but Magic was better IMO.

 

My top 5 looks like this: MJ, Wilt, Magic, Russell, with a tie at 5 between Kobe, the Big O, Kareem and Larry Legend.

To me, this is one of the more interesting debates. And, for me personally, one of the most difficult. I would classify as an "old folk" since I'm over 30. Kobe is my current favorite, and probably my second favorite player of all-time, but if I'm being honest, I'd give Magic a slight edge in this debate.

 

I think Magic is better statistically. Both guys proved themselves to be clutch performers at the highest level. I think the 6 combined regular season and finals MVP awards versus Kobe's 3 means something. I also look back to Magic's first ring when he played center for the injured Kareem and delivered one of the greatest single game performances in NBA history to lead LA to a title.

 

Yes, Magic's supporting cast may have been better, but so where the team's he had to beat to win titles in that era, IMO. That's a wash.

 

I see it similar to you though. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I'm not going to try to convince anyone that says Kobe, but I can tell you why I pick Magic.

 

 

It's definitely an intriguing debate.

 

Showtime didn't have to defeat any great teams that I recall to get to the Finals. When Showtime was at its peak there wasn't the stiff competition from the West that Kobe and Shaq faced. Plus, when Showtime made the Finals they faced Eastern Conference foes that were battered and bruised due to the Eastern Conference being stacked. Kobe and Shaq had to defeat Duncan/Robinson led Spurs, the greatest Sacrememto Kings teams ever and the Jailblazers(while criminal they were routinely the 2nd best team in the West during these times) just to get to their Eastern Conference opponent so for me the playoff opponents is a wash.

 

Kareem never won until he got Magic. Shaq never won until he got Kobe. Wash.

 

Top two Lakers ever. Wash.

 

5 rings. Wash.

 

Both have shined in the clutch and both have failed in the clutch. Wash.

 

 

It's hard to say one or the other. I'll let my bias choose. :D

  • Author
Give me Magic. He, like Larry Bird, could dominate a game without scoring.

 

This is why I say Magic.

  • Author
May we please have a poll for this thread? I'd love to see the results.

 

I added a poll to the thread.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.