Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Varsity Letters?

Featured Replies

Was at a highschool sports banquet last night and noticed quite a few players that played substantial time on the field on Varsity, yet did not letter . What's up with that? Isn't there a formula for this? Please fill me in!!!

  • Replies 49
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

Sorry for all caps. On mobile.

It's up to each individual coach. Some coaches require play in a certian number of quarters. Others give you a letter if you play in a varsity game. Others say if you finish the season on the roster you get a letter. There is no universal rule when it comes to this.

  • Author

I know its up to the coach but for instance, backup qb doesn't letter, started two games, played in five. Backup DB does, two freshman do as well.

We were told when I played that if you went to state everyone lettered. We only had 35 kids on our entire roster and I played in the 2nd half of every game but I still didn't letter. That was Duffy and his rules, I think Dale opens it up a little more than that.

I know its up to the coach but for instance, backup qb doesn't letter, started two games, played in five. Backup DB does, two freshman do as well.

 

What are Coach Tom's rules?

  • Author
What are Coach Tom's rules?

very ambiguous. My question entirely.

When I played, you had to play in 50% of the quarters. In a 10 game season you had to be in for at least 20 quarters to letter.

When I played, you had to play in 50% of the quarters. In a 10 game season you had to be in for at least 20 quarters to letter.

 

So you could qualify for a varsity letter playing 20 plays in a season.

Yep......everybody on the kickoff team pretty much lettered. Now you have to remember this was when I played, and football today is a lot different than 30 or so years ago.

Edited by Rebel
spelling

When I played, you had to play in 50% of the quarters. In a 10 game season you had to be in for at least 20 quarters to letter.

That's the way it was when I played at Raceland.

So you could qualify for a varsity letter playing 20 plays in a season.

Yep, now they don't have to play at all. Everyone letters.

That's the way it was when I played at Raceland.

 

Yep, now they don't have to play at all. Everyone letters.

 

Everyone letters? I've never seen that. Are you being facetious?

Everyone letters? I've never seen that. Are you being facetious?

 

I'm being faserious. Everyone.

 

And from my understanding a lot of schools do that. Everyone gets a trophy.

I'm being faserious. Everyone.

 

And from my understanding a lot of schools do that. Everyone gets a trophy.

 

Faserious. Very nice. Had to read that one twice.

 

The "everybody letters" is a new one. I don't think it's reached NKY as far as I can tell.

Yep......everybody on the kickoff team pretty much lettered. Now you have to remember this was when I played, and football today is a lot different than 30 or so years ago.

 

Now Rebel, it's not that much different. We were so much more talented and better than these current players and you know it. :D

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.