Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Congrats to Dale McMillian new fastpitch coach at Holmes

Featured Replies

Good luck To Dale, he has coached for many years and hope he will stay at Holmes as this is there 4th coach in 4 years.

  • Replies 84
  • Views 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of luck, probably one of the harder jobs in NKY.

Good to hear. Congrats to Dale and good luck. I hope you have much success.

One of the harder jobs in nky? Why's that?

 

Let's see, no home field, almost no girls that play travel ball, almost no chance for any of the girls that go to that school to play in any rec leagues growing up. Most of the girls don't own a glove when they come to the first practice. Then you have the Holmes effect where it isn't always easy to coach at that school in any sport much less softball. As a former Bulldog and a huge fan of softball I wish the new coach all the best.

Let's see, no home field, almost no girls that play travel ball, almost no chance for any of the girls that go to that school to play in any rec leagues growing up. Most of the girls don't own a glove when they come to the first practice. Then you have the Holmes effect where it isn't always easy to coach at that school in any sport much less softball. As a former Bulldog and a huge fan of softball I wish the new coach all the best.

 

I do believe there is something that is supposed to be worked out the with home field sometime this year. But before you say that "almost no girls that play travel ball", I do know that there was 6 that did play in the past; Katie Sullivan, Amanda Jump, and Megan Bohman, Melissa Marshall & there is still two that plays now, and that would be Whittley slover and there senior Amanda Cupp. And if I am not mistaken three of them played or is still playing college ball (megan, katie, and amanda). And I heard that Amanda cupp will be attending Union College next year to play softball at the next level. She also will be there main pitcher this year i believe since there main one from last year, Melissa graduated. They have some good softball players returning, amanda is as huge aspect to the team on defense and she is a big key to there offense. And the "Holmes effect" i believe has a lot to do with what they have had in the past to what they have now.I know that in the past they had dedicated coaches that wanted to be there and work hard and win with players that were the same way. But I know that they have had 4 different coaches in the last 4 years and I believe that it also has a huge affect on a team. But I believe that every team needs a stable coaching staff that wants to be there and wants to bring good change to the program. While you say "most of the girls don't own a glove when they come on the first day of practice" has nothing to do with the Holmes affect, nor does it have anything to do with making it harder to coach there and coach softball at that.But at least they show an interest in wanting to play, some may be better than others. But after all if you dont keep them you cant help make them better. Seriously, now is it easy to coach anywhere? I think not. I believe that every school is different and that Holmes is no different than the rest of region 9, other schools, and the other schools in this area.

I do believe there is something that is supposed to be worked out the with home field sometime this year. But before you say that "almost no girls that play travel ball", I do know that there was 6 that did play in the past; Katie Sullivan, Amanda Jump, and Megan Bohman, Melissa Marshall & there is still two that plays now, and that would be Whittley slover and there senior Amanda Cupp. And if I am not mistaken three of them played or is still playing college ball (megan, katie, and amanda). And I heard that Amanda cupp will be attending Union College next year to play softball at the next level. She also will be there main pitcher this year i believe since there main one from last year, Melissa graduated. They have some good softball players returning, amanda is as huge aspect to the team on defense and she is a big key to there offense. And the "Holmes effect" i believe has a lot to do with what they have had in the past to what they have now.I know that in the past they had dedicated coaches that wanted to be there and work hard and win with players that were the same way. But I know that they have had 4 different coaches in the last 4 years and I believe that it also has a huge affect on a team. But I believe that every team needs a stable coaching staff that wants to be there and wants to bring good change to the program. While you say "most of the girls don't own a glove when they come on the first day of practice" has nothing to do with the Holmes affect, nor does it have anything to do with making it harder to coach there and coach softball at that.But at least they show an interest in wanting to play, some may be better than others. But after all if you dont keep them you cant help make them better. Seriously, now is it easy to coach anywhere? I think not. I believe that every school is different and that Holmes is no different than the rest of region 9, other schools, and the other schools in this area.

 

I consider 6 that played over the past 4 years almost zero, Ryle, Connor, Boone have 6 at least every year. Most the other better schools in the area are the same way. And with those young ladies all together they did pretty well, now that most are gone not so much.

 

The comment of the girls not owning glove was about they have never played the game before so a coach has a heck of a lot of coaching to do. I couldn't disagree agree more about Holmes being no different than any other schools in the area. Ask anyone who has coached down there and I think they would disagree.

I consider 6 that played over the past 4 years almost zero, Ryle, Connor, Boone have 6 at least every year. Most the other better schools in the area are the same way. And with those young ladies all together they did pretty well, now that most are gone not so much.

 

The comment of the girls not owning glove was about they have never played the game before so a coach has a heck of a lot of coaching to do. I couldn't disagree agree more about Holmes being no different than any other schools in the area. Ask anyone who has coached down there and I think they would disagree.

 

I know several of the coaches in the area! But I know for a fact from former coaches at Holmes that it is no different where ever you coach!!!!!!! The coaches that I know and are coaching at one of the schools that you even mentioned "6 in 4 years = 0" really how far do you want me to go back, I could keep naming. So what if they have more players that play travel ball. Travel ball does not mean anything. How many of those great players actually go on to the next level to play. Ryle has had 3 that i know of and only one of the players is recent. Boone county has not had any recently. Conner they have had 4 and 3 of them were recently. Cooper none have. NCC has had one recently. Simon Kenton has had 2 recently. Dixie has had none recently. Scott has had none recent. Notre Dame has none recent. Villa Madonna none. Bracken county has had 2 recently. Bishop brossart has had 2 recently. Pendleton County has had one recently. Holy Cross has had one recent. Heritage has had none. Beechwood has had none. St Henry has had one recent. Grant county has had one recent. Walton Verona has had none. Williams town has had none recent. Dayton, Ludlow, Newport, Bellevue, and Silver grove all of them have had none recent or even at all. Holmes has had 3 recently! But you know why all of those great players dont actually go on to play because they get so burnt out on playing that they dont want to play in college. So really what is the big deal about them playing travel ball. What makes all of those other schools any better than Holmes.

 

And so what if the players have never played before. Its not like the coach doesn't start with the basics in the beginning. A dedicated coach or fellow teammate would never complain about new kids wanting to play the game. I mean even colleges start with the basics and work their way up!

 

And how would you know about the coaching and the way things are at holmes? Especially softball? Was you one of there softball coaches? Have you experience what the softball team is like?

Travel Ball DOES mean something to the girls that play it.

I know several of the coaches in the area! But I know for a fact from former coaches at Holmes that it is no different where ever you coach!!!!!!! The coaches that I know and are coaching at one of the schools that you even mentioned "6 in 4 years = 0" really how far do you want me to go back, I could keep naming. So what if they have more players that play travel ball. Travel ball does not mean anything. How many of those great players actually go on to the next level to play. Ryle has had 3 that i know of and only one of the players is recent. Boone county has not had any recently. Conner they have had 4 and 3 of them were recently. Cooper none have. NCC has had one recently. Simon Kenton has had 2 recently. Dixie has had none recently. Scott has had none recent. Notre Dame has none recent. Villa Madonna none. Bracken county has had 2 recently. Bishop brossart has had 2 recently. Pendleton County has had one recently. Holy Cross has had one recent. Heritage has had none. Beechwood has had none. St Henry has had one recent. Grant county has had one recent. Walton Verona has had none. Williams town has had none recent. Dayton, Ludlow, Newport, Bellevue, and Silver grove all of them have had none recent or even at all. Holmes has had 3 recently! But you know why all of those great players dont actually go on to play because they get so burnt out on playing that they dont want to play in college. So really what is the big deal about them playing travel ball. What makes all of those other schools any better than Holmes.

 

And so what if the players have never played before. Its not like the coach doesn't start with the basics in the beginning. A dedicated coach or fellow teammate would never complain about new kids wanting to play the game. I mean even colleges start with the basics and work their way up!

 

And how would you know about the coaching and the way things are at holmes? Especially softball? Was you one of there softball coaches? Have you experience what the softball team is like?

 

So are we talking about girls going to college or Holmes being a tough job? They have had 4 coaches in 4 years and I am sure that it is not all to do with Holmes but not many other schools have that happen. Holmes #1 pitcher in the last 4 years was on and off the team more than I can count. I know most of the coaches that have coached the softball team the last couple of years, all are good people but for whatever reason it didn't work out for them.

 

Your knowledge of travel ball speaks for itself. Most kids don't go on to college to play sports. Holmes has had a couple and haven't been able to get past the Boone County schools for years and and most of the last 5 or 6 years they have been bad. So what does that say? My statement was that Holmes is probably one of the harder jobs, I guess according to you it's not.

Edited by SSC

So your saying it has to do with the girls? Thats the reason that they are no longer there? I know that the pitcher has been on and off for the last 4 years.

Who cares about who beats who. Its just a game. You win some, you lose some.

Dale may be dedicated and I hope his health is improving and this is not slow pitch. NDA should dominate this district for years to come. Agree coaching is tough and coaching stability is important, but this district is not exactly an example of coaching stability.

Dale may be dedicated and I hope his health is improving and this is not slow pitch. NDA should dominate this district for years to come. Agree coaching is tough and coaching stability is important, but this district is not exactly an example of coaching stability.

 

I agree and think that's what needs to happen.

Dale may be dedicated and I hope his health is improving and this is not slow pitch. NDA should dominate this district for years to come. Agree coaching is tough and coaching stability is important, but this district is not exactly an example of coaching stability.

 

The only way NDA will dominate the district for years to come is if they get a stud pitcher come to there school. If Holy Cross's #1 pitcher is able to come back from injury and pitch they should win the district fairly easy. Not that it is saying much bc NDA, Holmes, Beechwood and HC are all really bad teams and have no shot at the region.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.