August 23, 201115 yr It's not as much about not being able to get a job I believe. It is about they HAVE NO TIME to get a job if they are a college athlete, especially during their season. The hours they put in for their sport every day is a lot, then when you add in class time and homework. There isn't anymore time of the day for them to work then. Agreed, I should have stated something to that nature in my original comment. Being a college athlete, especially in the major sports of football and basketball is a full-time job itself, not just at the D1 levels. That is where the issue is. They do not have the ability to take out their girlfriend/boyfriend on a date, or buy a new shirt that a student on academic scholarship has. There should be some system in place...I however, do not have the solution to this problem. I will say however, that scholarship athletes do receive checks with left over money on it periodically....the ways that they choose to spend it are not always the most wise.
August 25, 201115 yr I haven't read all the posts in this thread but something that I haven't heard anyone else mention is what this would do to HS athletics. It's already ridiculous what some parents put their kids through to try to get them into college for free, imagine what would happen if football players get paid more than baseball, or basketball more than golf. Participation would drastically drop in some sports.
August 25, 201115 yr I'll assume basketball and football bring in the most revenue for the University of Kentucky. What do they do with that money? What is it used for?Like all other schools. That money is used to fund all of the non-revenue sports, the rest of the athletic department.
August 25, 201115 yr I haven't read all the posts in this thread but something that I haven't heard anyone else mention is what this would do to HS athletics. It's already ridiculous what some parents put their kids through to try to get them into college for free, imagine what would happen if football players get paid more than baseball, or basketball more than golf. Participation would drastically drop in some sports.That is a fair point but is that not already happening in sports? There are a lot less scholarship opportunities (or awarding of half-scholarships) for a lot of the non-revenue generating sports.
August 25, 201115 yr That is a fair point but is that not already happening in sports? There are a lot less scholarship opportunities (or awarding of half-scholarships) for a lot of the non-revenue generating sports. Agreed. Do we need a reason to make it happen even more frequently? So many kids are already missing out on the high school experience because no matter how much time or money you spend on getting better at one sport, some just don't have it.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.