Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is this allowed?

Featured Replies

Player X for Team A is upset how things are going in the early Summer practice. He lives with one of his parents and the other is pretty much out of the picture. He and his parent decide to go to another school, so he "moves" in with a friend in Team B's district. Parent has not moved. Is this a legal transfer? Can the school or kid get in trouble for this?

 

This is a true scenario and if this is not allowed to happen, I don't want the kid to lose his Sr. year because of it. I have been friends with his father for 20+ years and when I heard about what they did last week I thought he might get into some hot water over this.

Any kid that transfers from one school to another after participating in a varsity contest is ineligible. They have to be given their eligibility from the KHSAA. Change of custody does not guarantee eligibility will be restored. Not a concrete answer, but that's about as clear as it gets until the KHSAA rules.

Any kid that transfers from one school to another after participating in a varsity contest is ineligible. They have to be given their eligibility from the KHSAA. Change of custody does not guarantee eligibility will be restored. Not a concrete answer, but that's about as clear as it gets until the KHSAA rules.
Ram, I am not sure but I believe that they also have to show a legit adress in the new schools district if wanting to play in the same year. Should there not be a change of address then I believe they have to sit out a season and in that case a senior would be unable to play and lose their senior year.
Ram, I am not sure but I believe that they also have to show a legit adress n the new schools district if wanting to play in the same year.

 

The "Mitchell rule" requires more than a legit address in the new district.

 

To the original post there would have to be some unusual circumstances in order for the kHSAA to waive it's sit rule. It would not be unprecedented though.

The "Mitchell rule" requires more than a legit address in the new district.

 

To the original post there would have to be some unusual circumstances in order for the kHSAA to waive it's sit rule. It would not be unprecedented though.

The KHSAA never surprises me anymore. I've been surprised by them in the past by rulings they have made. Now refer back to first sentence.

  • Author

I appreciate the responses. I just want to try and give my friend some advice because his son is to good of a kid, plus a very good player and It would kill him to miss his Sr season. I tried to reach the KHSAA along with his father to check on the legality of this and no one has ever responded. It doesn't seem that the NKY HS that he transfered to wants to give us a straight answer either, they are just letting him play.

First, go to the KHSAA Member Handbook and read all of Bylaw 6 CLICK HERE

If neither parent moves with the kid to a new district prior to enrollment in the new school, then according to my understanding of Bylaw 6, this would not be a bona fide change of address.

 

As Ram stated, all transfers have to sit a year under Bylaw 6. You can apply for a waiver of that requirement, but it has to be approved by the KHSAA, and both the schools involved have to sign off on the transfer. If there is any hiccup in the paperwork at all (like if the sending school voices any protest) then the waiver will be held up pending KHSAA investigation.

 

I seriously doubt a waiver would be granted given the circumstances above. I think your friend's kid would be in serious danger of sitting out this season in that scenario.

I appreciate the responses. I just want to try and give my friend some advice because his son is to good of a kid, plus a very good player and It would kill him to miss his Sr season. I tried to reach the KHSAA along with his father to check on the legality of this and no one has ever responded. It doesn't seem that the NKY HS that he transfered to wants to give us a straight answer either, they are just letting him play.

 

Maybe the new school doesn't know the answer.

 

If he has played a varsity sport both schools have to fill out a form and that form goes to the KHSAA.

 

I guess the risk is that he plays and then it's determined he's ineligible which would cause the new school to forfeit games he played in. I sure as heck would inform the coach so that the coach is not blindsided by this.

Maybe the new school doesn't know the answer.

 

If he has played a varsity sport both schools have to fill out a form and that form goes to the KHSAA.

 

I guess the risk is that he plays and then it's determined he's ineligible which would cause the new school to forfeit games he played in. I sure as heck would inform the coach so that the coach is not blindsided by this.

 

The bolded part has not been disclosed in this thread. If he didn't played varsity sports at the former school, the transfer rule doesn't come into play. There would still be the issue of whether he is eligible under the new school's enrollment policy however. If he's not eligible under the new school's rule, then he's not eligible per the KHSAA.

 

The new school's coaches and admin better get involved quickly. If he plays for them and is determined to be ineligible (for any reason), any wins by the new school will be forfeited.

  • Author
First, go to the KHSAA Member Handbook and read all of Bylaw 6 CLICK HERE

If neither parent moves with the kid to a new district prior to enrollment in the new school, then according to my understanding of Bylaw 6, this would not be a bona fide change of address.

 

 

As Ram stated, all transfers have to sit a year under Bylaw 6. You can apply for a waiver of that requirement, but it has to be approved by the KHSAA, and both the schools involved have to sign off on the transfer. If there is any hiccup in the paperwork at all (like if the sending school voices any protest) then the waiver will be held up pending KHSAA investigation.

 

I seriously doubt a waiver would be granted given the circumstances above. I think your friend's kid would be in serious danger of sitting out this season in that scenario.

 

Thank you, I read that the same way. Having first hand knowledge of this situation, he will be ineligible to play. He has lived with his father for many years now and he hasn't moved. They were not happy with the program they were with so he moved in with a friend to go to this other school. Sorry I do not want to put the kids name or the schools name involved out in a public forum. I will attempt to talk some sense into his father before he ruins his sons Sr season and possibly an entire schools football season.

Thanks again

  • Author
The bolded part has not been disclosed in this thread. If he didn't played varsity sports at the former school, the transfer rule doesn't come into play. There would still be the issue of whether he is eligible under the new school's enrollment policy however. If he's not eligible under the new school's rule, then he's not eligible per the KHSAA.

 

The new school's coaches and admin better get involved quickly. If he plays for them and is determined to be ineligible (for any reason), any wins by the new school will be forfeited.

 

 

He was a Varsity starter the last 2 years at a NKY school and has transfered to another NKY school for his Sr season. His father has not moved and his mother has been out of the picture for several years. He and his father were unhappy with the program and things that were going on so he decided to let his son move in with a friend and attend another school. He has been practicing with the new school for a few weeks now.

He was a Varsity starter the last 2 years at a NKY school and has transfered to another NKY school for his Sr season. His father has not moved and his mother has been out of the picture for several years. He and his father were unhappy with the program and things that were going on so he decided to let his son move in with a friend and attend another school. He has been practicing with the new school for a few weeks now.

 

In the situation as outlined above, I don't see any way he can be eligible. For his good and the good of the kids at his new school, I hope they get good advice, make sure they follow all the rules and notify all the proper parties about the circumstances.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.