Candidates' Assocations

The last election dove more deeply into a candidate's personal acquaintances/associations. Is this a one-time scenario or with today's plethora of info and easy access to the past is it permanent? Is it fair? Does it give us good insight?

If it's fair which candidates do we see that being a problem for?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last election dove more deeply into a candidate's personal acquaintances/associations. Is this a one-time scenario or with today's plethora of info and easy access to the past is it permanent? Is it fair? Does it give us good insight?

If it's fair which candidates do we see that being a problem for?

Associations didn't seem to affect the last election. It's all about spin and catch phrases, now. Madison Avenue has more say than the actions of a candidate. Substance means nothing anymore.

Associations didn't seem to affect the last election. It's all about spin and catch phrases, now. Madison Avenue has more say than the actions of a candidate. Substance means nothing anymore.

Should the associations matter? Are there really people out there that would have voted for Candidate Obama but chose not to because of his association with Rev Wright? Or is it more likely that the associations had zero impact on 99% of the electorate? RWers weren't voting for him even if the Pope or Jimmy Swaggart was his minister. Left was voting for him even if Jim Jones was his minister.

It is just good discussion board material but truly irrelevant?

Should the associations matter? Are there really people out there that would have voted for Candidate Obama but chose not to because of his association with Rev Wright? Or is it more likely that the associations had zero impact on 99% of the electorate? RWers weren't voting for him even if the Pope or Jimmy Swaggart was his minister. Left was voting for him even if Jim Jones was his minister.

It is just good discussion board material but truly irrelevant?

The bolded pretty much sums it up.

There are many things that should be looked at when deciding who would be our President, including past associations. Position papers, past voting records, and actions should all matter. Sadly, most of the electorate make their decisions based on commercials and 3 second sound bites. Few do the homework.

The bolded pretty much sums it up.

There are many things that should be looked at when deciding who would be our President, including past associations. Position papers, past voting records, and actions should all matter. Sadly, most of the electorate make their decisions based on commercials and 3 second sound bites. Few do the homework.

Should the spouse matter? Can't much more of an association than that?

Certainly. Spouses have played large roles as confidants and advisers to past Presidents.

So Bachmann's husband is fair game for his "gays are barbarians" comment? Should I let that impact my decision?

So Bachmann's husband is fair game for his "gays are barbarians" comment? Should I let that impact my decision?

Did you let Michelle Obama's comment about being proud of America for the first time in her adult life impact your decision in 2008?

Did you let Michelle Obama's comment about being proud of America for the first time in her adult life impact your decision in 2008?

Hard to compare that with 'gays are barbarians' but you seem to know so much about black people's thoughts of America. Do tell....what is there about America for a 40 something year old black American woman to be proud of when it comes to America? Is her comment really that off base when it comes to dealing with her own personal experiences as a black woman in America?

Hard to compare that with 'gays are barbarians' but you seem to know so much about black people's thoughts of America. Do tell....what is there about America for a 40 something year old black American woman to be proud of when it comes to America? Is her comment really that off base when it comes to dealing with her own personal experiences as a black woman in America?

What do you base this on? And what do you base your knowledge of what you THINK I think on? Do you know so much about white people's thoughts? Are you saying she isn't proud of America?

I did not. However, many used it as a reason to support their vote for Sen. McCain.

Oh come on-I guess no opportunities right. Check out how much of their higher education either of the Obama's paid for. Her brother Craig (not a woman) is a highly paid head basketball coach of a college. Has our past been perfect-no, but you can darn be sure the minorities in this country (gender, religious or ethnic) are given a chance to succeed unlike the grand majority of the world.

I am trying to say this as delicately as I can...why aren't African Americans here mad about their African ancestors that sold them into slavery?? Many were slaves in Africa and then became slaves in other countries. Their life value apparently had a price that was paid and acceptable to the seller.