Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Location, Location, Location! Does it Matter?

Featured Replies

In real estate you often hear that location is everything, does the same matter in football? Do teams from larger metro areas have advantages? Do rural teams? Is this a factor in winning for either?

The true advantage lies in areas that benefit from open enrollment, no more, no less.

I'd say both have an advantage. The larger metro areas will typically have stronger programs, especially if their region includes private schools and/or open enrollment. Rural schools can have the closer communities, which wont make the draw of athletes better but can make the tradition and commitment deeper. So i feel they both can have success. But tuition paying schools usually dominate all sports.

The true advantage lies in areas that benefit from open enrollment, no more, no less.

 

Open enrollment is a huge benefit; however, that is just one.

I'd say both have an advantage. The larger metro areas will typically have stronger programs, especially if their region includes private schools and/or open enrollment. Rural schools can have the closer communities, which wont make the draw of athletes better but can make the tradition and commitment deeper. So i feel they both can have success. But tuition paying schools usually dominate all sports.

 

Do they dominate basketball?

I did say usually...but no. They typically do not because you only put 5 people on the court. They do not dominate track, swimming, or wrestling either; those are individual sports. I should have said, in Kentucky, tuition paying schools typically dominate team sports, not named basketball.

All of you think about this, then get back with me and tell me it isn't true:

 

You show me a school with large and successful FFA's and Marching Band's , and Ill show you school with an average football program. Yes, schools that boast these will have a solid football team every now and then, but not on a regular basis.

 

Boyle County is the only exception that comes to mind, but they also draw from a community with about 30,000 people.

The true advantage lies in areas that benefit from open enrollment, no more, no less.

 

As far as I know, Boone County is the only school system that does not have open enrollment. There might be one or two more that

I am unaware of though.

As far as I know, Boone County is the only school system that does not have open enrollment. There might be one or two more that

I am unaware of though.

 

No way........many school systems with more than one high school have enrollment boundaries. There may not be rigid enforcement, but there are boundaries as opposed to them being an Open Enrollment district.

I'd say both have an advantage. The larger metro areas will typically have stronger programs, especially if their region includes private schools and/or open enrollment. Rural schools can have the closer communities, which wont make the draw of athletes better but can make the tradition and commitment deeper. So i feel they both can have success. But tuition paying schools usually dominate all sports.

 

So true!! :thumb:

As far as I know, Boone County is the only school system that does not have open enrollment. There might be one or two more that

I am unaware of though.

 

Boyle County/Danville just went through a huge transfer fight just last year. Most areas in KY have set boundaries on their schools.

No way........many school systems with more than one high school have enrollment boundaries. There may not be rigid enforcement, but there are boundaries as opposed to them being an Open Enrollment district.

 

Boyle County/Danville just went through a huge transfer fight just last year. Most areas in KY have set boundaries on their schools.

 

 

Yes, districts with more than one high school have "boundaries" but students are generally free to enroll in which ever high school they choose.

 

Boyle/Danville if I recall was not about being able to enroll or not.

 

 

Obviously I am not familiar with all school systems. So, which school systems do not allow students from outside their "boundaries" to enroll.

Yes, districts with more than one high school have "boundaries" but students are generally free to enroll in which ever high school they choose.

 

Boyle/Danville if I recall was not about being able to enroll or not.

 

 

Obviously I am not familiar with all school systems. So, which school systems do not allow students from outside their "boundaries" to enroll.

 

He could enroll but could not play ball for Boyle. If it were truly "open enrollment" I believe he would have been allowed to since he changed address to live with his Father.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.