Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NCC 8 Beechwood 4

Featured Replies

Final from Florence.

 

Did Bertke pitch a CG in the loss?

  • Replies 60
  • Views 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard the final was 8-5. You may need to double check that score. The Breds beat Beechwood's best pitcher so nothing you can do except say congratulations to the Thoroughbreds and great season to the Tigers. I expected Beechwood to score 5 or more in the game but I thought Bertke would hold the Breds to 3 or less.

 

Only one team is going to be happy and end their season on a win so be proud of what you accomplished. Great 30 win season for the Tigers and good luck to the several Tigers who will be playing baseball at the next level.

  • Author

Tough last two games for BW.

Yep. Their bats have been dead for the last week or so.

It was 8 to 4.. Beechwood scored 2 in the 7th.

  • Author

Did Cain pitch?

It was 8 to 4.. Beechwood scored 2 in the 7th.

 

OK. Sorry, Clyde, about questioning you. I had heard a different score but obviously my source was wrong.

 

Who was pitching for NCC after Cain? Did they have to use Schmitt or Sullivan or did they have a big enough lead that they were able to save both of them? Regardless, not surprised to hear Beechwood scored late. That is about how I expected it to go. Get Cain's pitch count up, get him out and then go to work on whoever the Breds put out after Cain.

  • Author
OK. Sorry, Clyde, about questioning you. I had heard a different score but obviously my source was wrong.

 

Who was pitching for NCC after Cain? Did they have to use Schmitts or Sullivan or did they have a big enough lead that they were able to save both of them?

 

No sweat. I wasn't there so I wasn't completely sure myself.

Cain I think went 4 and was wild but escaped with only giving up 1 run I believe. I heard the heat had him down a bit as well but he battled tough. I think the next kid pitching was Doyle, or something like that. It was not Schmit or Sullivan. I think Beechwood should have pulled Bertke and tried someone else late. They had the lead and then he gave up 2 in the 5th and 5 in the 6th, most with 2 outs. He pitched a complete game but they go home with all their other pitchers. The heat will tire everyone at some point.

If Doyle pitched the last 3, that is a little embarrassing for Beechwood. Not trying to knock Doyle, just saying Beechwood should have at least scored enough off him to force the Breds to go to Sullivan or Schmitt.

 

As to Bertke, I am sure Meyerhoff was going to win or lose with his clear #1 starter. Honestly, I would rather have Bertke on the mound than anyone else. If his pitch count was ok, then I agree with Coach M on staying with Bertke. It just didn't work out today. Give the Breds hitters credit for getting it done against a top notch pitcher.

Bertke did a great job but he was done, there are other pitchers who could of came in. Cain went to his coach after the inning and told him he was done. I don't think you win or lose with one player it just not fair to the other players.

Bertke did a great job but he was done, there are other pitchers who could of came in. Cain went to his coach after the inning and told him he was done. I don't think you win or lose with one player it just not fair to the other players.

 

But what were the pitch counts for each and how was Bertke throwing? Cain throws a lot of pitches so it is expected that he is only going to go 5 innings as long as the opponent makes him work. The poster above said NCC scored most of their runs with two out. If that is true, then why not hang with your best pitcher and try to get that last out.

 

The other thing is you are trying to win a tournament. I know if you lose it is over. But Beechwood does not have a deep pitching staff and you need Johnson for the next game if you win. Who do you think the Tigers should have gone to and when?

Bertke did a great job but he was done, there are other pitchers who could of came in. Cain went to his coach after the inning and told him he was done. I don't think you win or lose with one player it just not fair to the other players.

 

I agree Marley, was Colin Johnson not available for this game?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.