Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Has anyone cut the cable and gone to streaming tv?

Featured Replies

I posted in another thread but decided to start it's own topic. Has anyone cut the cable or satellite and gone to something like Apple TV or a ROKU? I have been thinking of cutting our insight cable as I have 3 dvr's and service and it runs just over $100 a month. I was thinking of buying a couple of HD ROKU's and sign up for netflix and Hulu HD. I can get an attenna for sports but I don't pick up all the station's where I live though. I am trying to think of way to some money on my cable bill.

If you are trying to save money maybe start with going to only 1 DVR. Honestly do you need 3 really? I don't know much about the streaming TV stuff but I would imagine it would be hard for you to go from your current setup to that.

We haven't yet but probably will due to our current financial situation. One thing if your internet provider cooperates for ESPN 3 you can get all the sports you want on your computer.

Nope, but I do stream quite a bit via Netflix, ABC.com, etc. Eventually I may cut the cord, but I still like having the options.

I haven't had cable in a very long time. Recently, we started doing Netflix through our Wii. We don't have an HD TV, so I haven't investigated the Hulu option. I do Hulu on my laptop, though. For $8/month versus the MINIMUM $40 month for cable, I find it to be extraordinarily acceptable. I have att internet, so ESPN360 is free, and I rarely miss any sporting events I want to see either. But, keep in mind, I pretty much only watch UL college sports on ESPN. Pretty much, I'll watch whatever the options are on network TV otherwise, and be perfectly happy, college or pro.

 

For network programs, I go to ABC.com, etc to catch current episodes, if I don't get to see them at their regularly scheduled times.

 

The only downfall with Netflix is they don't have a lot of really new movies. However, there are a plethora of options for both movies and TV shows to choose from. I caught up on all the previous seasons of Friday Night Lights, for instance. I just finished watching Spartacus. I'm now about halfway through the Tudors. I don't think they broadcast any HBO series/movies, but do have Showtime, it seems.

 

All in all, I am perfectly happy to be spending $7.99 per month, and not more. And there's really no need for DVR, when I can go to network websites or Hulu and see what I want to see, when I want to see it.

  • Author

Hello, my name is littleluck55 and I am tvaholic. I could give all kinds of reasons why I need 3 dvr's but in reality, I don't. We have way too many HD lcd's and plasma's than I am afraid to admit. Which is the reason I want to explore other options. I do have a wife and 2 kids that love disney so I am more worried about them. I think cutting the cord will also help promote more family time and hopefully enjoy a more healthy lifestyle and save some money. Savings would be about $1000 a year. I haven't figured out a good way to watch the reds though. I believe even on mlb.com they don't show the reds game until after it is over. I do have a wii so could stream netflix on one of our tv's and can always hook up a computer to the tv to stream espn also. The ROKU streams ufc, mlb, hulu, and netflix as well as many more.

Hello, my name is littleluck55 and I am tvaholic. I could give all kinds of reasons why I need 3 dvr's but in reality, I don't. We have way too many HD lcd's and plasma's than I am afraid to admit. Which is the reason I want to explore other options. I do have a wife and 2 kids that love disney so I am more worried about them. I think cutting the cord will also help promote more family time and hopefully enjoy a more healthy lifestyle and save some money. Savings would be about $1000 a year. I haven't figured out a good way to watch the reds though. I believe even on mlb.com they don't show the reds game until after it is over. I do have a wii so could stream netflix on one of our tv's and can always hook up a computer to the tv to stream espn also. The ROKU streams ufc, mlb, hulu, and netflix as well as many more.

 

How old are your kids? When mine were little, I'd go to Blockbuster and buy used movies for like, 3/$20 or something. They always tended to watch the same things over and over. I don't even know what options are out there anymore, though, as my kids are adults now.

I've debated this before, but not being able to watch Reds' games would be an issue for me. I can get all the locals in HD via an antenna. Everything else, I can stream through the net. The Dell Zino was recommended by quite a few people for streaming the Internet videos along with a Hulu subscription. I already have Netflix, but that is more for the mail DVDs.

Hello, my name is littleluck55 and I am tvaholic. I could give all kinds of reasons why I need 3 dvr's but in reality, I don't. We have way too many HD lcd's and plasma's than I am afraid to admit. Which is the reason I want to explore other options. I do have a wife and 2 kids that love disney so I am more worried about them. I think cutting the cord will also help promote more family time and hopefully enjoy a more healthy lifestyle and save some money. Savings would be about $1000 a year. I haven't figured out a good way to watch the reds though. I believe even on mlb.com they don't show the reds game until after it is over. I do have a wii so could stream netflix on one of our tv's and can always hook up a computer to the tv to stream espn also. The ROKU streams ufc, mlb, hulu, and netflix as well as many more.

 

I cancelled cable and have netflix and it hasn't been a problem for me. I watch ESPN3 pretty often and you are correct about the Reds, even if you get MLBtv you still can't watch the Reds. For me that has been by far the most difficult aspect of cutting the cord.

I cancelled cable and have netflix and it hasn't been a problem for me. I watch ESPN3 pretty often and you are correct about the Reds, even if you get MLBtv you still can't watch the Reds. For me that has been by far the most difficult aspect of cutting the cord.

 

Does espn3 allow you to watch those games that are on espn? Do you get to select any game being broadcast on any of the espn networks?

Does espn3 allow you to watch those games that are on espn? Do you get to select any game being broadcast on any of the espn networks?

 

That has been my experience, that if it is airing on any ESPN network you can watch it.

That has been my experience, that if it is airing on any ESPN network you can watch it.

Thanks! Not being able to watch Reds' games is my biggest concern.

Thanks! Not being able to watch Reds' games is my biggest concern.
MLB.TV blacks out all nationally aired games and all Reds games.

I'm pretty close to doing it. Outside of sports, the only time I actually sit down in front of the TV is just to surf channels late at night or to keep me occupied if I'm doing something that doesn't require much concentration. Since I live out of market of Cinci I can stream Reds games and with ESPN3 I shouldn't miss much in sports. All of the shows I watch on a regular basis I stream. I'm a Netflix junkie. I think the issue for me is which device to connect to the TV. I don't know much about Roku. I'm thinking about installing a graphics card in a desktop that will allow me to connect to the TV and go that route.

But, keep in mind, I pretty much only watch UL college sports on ESPN.

 

So basically what you're saying is you don't even need a television, much less cable........................:cool:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.