Covington Cahtholic 11 Ft. Thomas Highlands 1 (5 innings)

Was told by a few players (don't want to mention names on this public forum out of respect) that if they wanted to be potential starters on the football team that they needed to quit baseball and focus on lifting in the off season.

I do not doubt that this was stated or implied to some athletes except for the bolded part. I have heard that many football players have been told that if they want to be a major contributor on the football team that they need to work hard during the offseason in the weight training program (not just lifting weights). I have yet to hear where they have been told to "quit" a sport and concentrate only on football. Many have chosen that path, but it is ultimately the choice of each kid individually. Back in the day, this worked in the opposite direction where basketball players were urged to work on their game in the summer rather than getting ready for football and/or playing summer baseball.

Summer baseball is also an entirely different animal for players at HHS. I know that many kids at Ryle, Dixie, NCC, Beechwood and CovCath among others play on some high level baseball teams in the summer either for a club or in some cases on teams that parents put together that contain kids entirely from that school. This has not happened in the past at HHS, but will be changing some this summer with the current 8th grade class. They will be playing as a team in SWOL where I am sure that they will greatly advance as baseball players. I must say however that a majority of this group, while multiple sport athletes, will have baseball be their primary focus in high school. This is why you keep hearing people say that this is the class that Jeremy is hanging his hat on. The 7th grade has some very good baseball talent as well and it will just be a question of how many of them continue playing to blend in with the 8th graders.

As someone said earlier, I would love to see a young Highlands baseball team become an experienced older baseball team, but only time will tell.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Summer baseball is also an entirely different animal for players at HHS. I know that many kids at Ryle, Dixie, NCC, Beechwood and CovCath among others play on some high level baseball teams in the summer either for a club or in some cases on teams that parents put together that contain kids entirely from that school. This has not happened in the past at HHS, but will be changing some this summer with the current 8th grade class. They will be playing as a team in SWOL where I am sure that they will greatly advance as baseball players.

The Fort Thomas Baseball Club will also be fielding a U16 (or whatever the Freshman & Sophomore designation is) squad (the Bulldogs) in the SWOL this summer. Although Coached by the Assistant Varsity Coach and including several Bird baseball players (who will also be practicing football with very little scheduling conflict), there are several NCC kids on the team and a few from elsewhere in Campbell County as well.

Goal for both teams is to make sure there is an outlet for summer baseball in an environment that understands and works within the confines of other obligations.

Baseball kids get forced to choose there at HHS because football and baseball conflict so much. You can say what you want but I have personally talked to football players there who were told after their freshman year to choose one or the other.

First off, never mentioned basketball or track. Was told by a few players (don't want to mention names on this public forum out of respect) that if they wanted to be potential starters on the football team that they needed to quit baseball and focus on lifting in the off season. I know there will be the Highlands faithful (as already evidenced) that will say I don't know what I'm talking about and that's fine. Sometimes facts hurt and can't be dealt with when you're so blatantly blind to the truth. Baseball is the only sport that conflicts with football. Summer baseball in particular. Did Lorenzen play baseball? Yes until his sophomore year. How about Collinsworth? I know he did up to a point. I just know if the athletes at HHS would have been pushed to play by the baseball loving Mueller as one poster has mentioned, don't you think they would have?

The bold quotes above are not equal.

The first means: "Quit either baseball or football. You can't play both." This is a blanket statement not based on any reality of the kid's current situation. Hard to believe this was said by a member of the coaching staff.

The second means: "Your best chance at starting in football next year would be to quit baseball & focus on lifting in the off-season." This is a reasonable statement, most likely giving the kid an honest opinion of his chances at being a starter the next season based upon his level of athleticism & strength in comparison to his competition. The kid must then decide what is most important to him - increasing his chances of being a starter in one sport, or having the experience of playing both. Bottom line: the football coaches are going to play the kid that gives the team the best chance of wining regardless of what he does the rest of the year.

This topic is so old. My bad, the topic was the cch/highlands baseball game. That's not old, the rest of it has been done a few thousand times before. Take it to another thread or better yet, maybe the people from Highlands can just start their own web site. If you need some help please let me know so we can get back to some baseball. That would be something wouldn't it!!

All quite true, except it wasn't a routine ground ball hit to the HHS 2nd basemen. That ball took a nasty hop and hit the young man in the shoulder and bounced away.

Jeramie is doing an outstanding job at HHS and as I have said time after time, if given the support and the time, HHS will be a power in baseball too but I am not so sure many at HHS look at Baseball as anything more than something to do in the spring after basketball and before spring football.

This topic is so old. My bad, the topic was the cch/highlands baseball game. That's not old, the rest of it has been done a few thousand times before. Take it to another thread or better yet, maybe the people from Highlands can just start their own web site. If you need some help please let me know so we can get back to some baseball. That would be something wouldn't it!!

That would be nice, wouldn't it. But for some reason, some how, it just keeps coming back.:idunno:

All quite true, except it wasn't a routine ground ball hit to the HHS 2nd basemen. That ball took a nasty hop and hit the young man in the shoulder and bounced away.

Jeramie is doing an outstanding job at HHS and as I have said time after time, if given the support and the time, HHS will be a power in baseball too but I am not so sure many at HHS look at Baseball as anything more than something to do in the spring after basketball and before spring football.

Okay, so other than the typo, what did I say that isn't true? Read some of the threads in the Baseball forums about HHS baseball and see what some HHS fans have written!

Do you honestly think Krumps at CovCath, Maxwell at Dixie, Myerhoff at Beechwood or Roesel at Ryle would have their programs talked about like there has been about HHS and Spring Break?

At most schools, when it's baseball season you do baseball first, when it's basketball season you do basketball first and in football season you do football first but at HHS from reading some of the comments, I am not so sure!

So go ahead and grill me if you please, but read the posts without your Bluebirds glasses on and see what opinion you come up with! I think LN came up with the best post about it all....

That must be some school's policy; it is not a KHSAA policy that I'm aware of.

ABC2 and others, let's let the whole spring break stuff go and move on please. Jeremy made his decision and there should be no doubt that the decision was based on what he thought was best for the program. I'm embarrassed for doing something that I tell others not to do: if I disagree with a coach, I pick up the phone and discuss it. I don't criticize the coach or the decision in public. Jeremy, if you read this site any longer, I apologize.

Besides, I'm sure there are way too many CovCath fans glad to see us argue amongst ourselves on here. The last thing I want to do is give CovCath fans some enjoyment at our expense. :D

Okay, so other than the typo, what did I say that isn't true? Read some of the threads in the Baseball forums about HHS baseball and see what some HHS fans have written!

Do you honestly think Krumps at CovCath, Maxwell at Dixie, Myerhoff at Beechwood or Roesel at Ryle would have their programs talked about like there has been about HHS and Spring Break?

At most schools, when it's baseball season you do baseball first, when it's basketball season you do basketball first and in football season you do football first but at HHS from reading some of the comments, I am not so sure!

So go ahead and grill me if you please, but read the posts without your Bluebirds glasses on and see what opinion you come up with! I think LN came up with the best post about it all....

Keep in mind the side discussions would not have started to begin with but for the bolded part of your post:

"Jeramie is doing an outstanding job at HHS and as I have said time after time, if given the support and the time, HHS will be a power in baseball too but I am not so sure many at HHS look at Baseball as anything more than something to do in the spring after basketball and before spring football."

Frankly the comment is wrong and was completely uncalled for. You do a great job reporting on the games; I'd suggest that you stick to doing it and keep the rest of the commentary to yourself. Do so and threads involving game results will stay focused on game results.

Keep in mind the side discussions would not have started to begin with but for the bolded part of your post:

"Jeramie is doing an outstanding job at HHS and as I have said time after time, if given the support and the time, HHS will be a power in baseball too but I am not so sure many at HHS look at Baseball as anything more than something to do in the spring after basketball and before spring football."

Frankly the comment is wrong and was completely uncalled for. You do a great job reporting on the games; stick to doing it and keep the rest of the commentary to yourself.

LN I respect the heck out of you but I believe that BGP's was and is a sight that allows members to post what they want as long as they can back it up, and I honestly feel that after reading the many post and talking to some HHS baseball fans, what I have written is truthful.

LN I respect the heck out of you but I believe that BGP's was and is a sight that allows members to post what they want as long as they can back it up, and I honestly feel that after reading the many post and talking to some HHS baseball fans, what I have written is truthful.

You can post any dang thing you want, within the rules. But judgment should trump what is permitted. Your comment simply stirred up a lot of side issues that involve issues other than the game (which some posters have complained about). I have no idea if you enjoy bringing up the issue of football's effect on baseball just to see it debated and discussed over and over and see the stones thrown back and forth, but one could conclude that since you do it fairly often it is something planned by you and is intentionally done. If so and that's how you want to be judged by someone you repect, then by all means continue to do the same.

I have lots of thoughts and opinions about CovCath and have pretty darn good access to a lot of things that have happened and do happen at CovCath. If anything, I post the positives not the negatives about CovCath. You won't see my raising issues just to stir the pot. Not the way I act. But again, you do what ever you want. But I'd ask (and I think the rules require) you to start a separate thread if you want to discuss the football vs baseball issue and leave that out of the game thread. Of course if you really like and respect Jeremy and truly want Highlands baseball to succeed as you profess, such a thread will only hurt not help Jeremy and Highlands baseball program.

We are all judged by the posts we make on here.

Frankly, on a day we are mourning the loss of a young man serving his country, I've got bigger concerns than what some feel about football's effect on baseball at Highlands.

You can post any dang thing you want, within the rules. But judgment should trump what is permitted. Your comment simply stirred up a lot of side issues that involve issues other than the game (which some posters have complained about). I have no idea if you enjoy bringing up the issue of football's effect on baseball just to see it debated and discussed over and over and see the stones thrown back and forth, but one could conclude that since you do it fairly often it is something planned by you and is intentionally done. If so and that's how you want to be judged by someone you repect, then by all means continue to do the same.

I have lots of thoughts and opinions about CovCath and have pretty darn good access to a lot of things that have happened and do happen at CovCath. If anything, I post the positives not the negatives about CovCath. You won't see my raising issues just to stir the pot. Not the way I act. But again, you do what ever you want. But I'd ask (and I think the rules require) you to start a separate thread if you want to discuss the football vs baseball issue and leave that out of the game thread. Of course if you really like and respect Jeremy and truly want Highlands baseball to succeed as you profess, such a thread will only hurt not help Jeremy and Highlands baseball program.

We are all judged by the posts we make on here.

Frankly, on a day we are mourning the loss of a young man serving his country, I've got bigger concerns than what some feel about football's effect on baseball at Highlands.

I understand, I lost my best friend when he died serving our Country in Feburary of 1969 in Vietnam (Steve Tanner). My prayer are with the young man's family and those in the Ft. Thomas Community.

Sports are put in it's proper presptive as just games played for fun and enjoyment, when compared to what these young men did and what their family have lost, in giving up their lives serving our Country, for that, thank you isn't nearly enough.

I have no clue why you think its ok to keep bringing these things back up. I commented on the stupid statements of i am sure one of your friends saying that coach Muller tells kids to not play baseball. If you are truly a friend of Jeremy you will know when enough is enough and move on we have so why don't you? If you and Spartan have facts and names put them up or just move on like the rest of us have!!!!!