April 3, 201115 yr Is UK playing the 18 game meat grinder that is the Big East? Much easier to navigate the SEC schedule while a young team works out the kinks... I have a feeling UK would have been just fine in the Big East, this year and last. I get the theory but how has it worked out for teams like Pitt? They often do great in the Big East but haven't made a Final Four (and only one Elite 8) in this generation of Pitt basketball. What about Syracuse? Great program with a hall of fame coach who was led to his only title by a group of freshman.
April 3, 201115 yr I have a feeling UK would have been just fine in the Big East, this year and last. I get the theory but how has it worked out for teams like Pitt? They often do great in the Big East but haven't made a Final Four (and only one Elite 8) in this generation of Pitt basketball. What about Syracuse? Great program with a hall of fame coach who was led to his only title by a group of freshman. If this UK team was 2-6 on the road in this version of the SEC, how would they have done night in and night out in the Big East where a 2 weeks losing streak happenes to just about everyone at some point? They would have been in a similar position as UConn who needed a big run in the tournament to find themselves. I have gone over Pitt on numerous occasions. They are built to win the conference, but outside of the team with Blair and Young they just don't have the type of talent to win in the tournament. I thought maybe Ashton Gibbs could be that type of guy, but he hasn't progressed from last year to this year like I thought he might. They are built to withstand the grind, but are just not going to overwhelm you with talent in a one and out format. Boeheim is the one coach that has gone after more of the one and done talents than anyone in the league, and a couple times it has resulted in being on the outside looking in on Selection Sunday. Plus his title was before the league expanded teams and went to 18 games. Guys like Donte Green killed team chemistry and caused a season to implode. The injury to Onuaku last year killed his best chance at a deep run since expansion...
April 3, 201115 yr Worked for Huggins and Calhoun the last two seasons... :thumb: Huggins won the title last year?
April 3, 201115 yr Huggins won the title last year? Did they not make the Final 4? I seem to remember them winning their Elite 8 game...
April 3, 201115 yr Did they not make the Final 4? I seem to remember them winning their Elite 8 game... So "worked" is the Final Four? I thought the Big East would have higher standards.
April 3, 201115 yr So "worked" is the Final Four? I thought the Big East would have higher standards. Big Blue Nation sure seemed thrilled to be back for the first time in 13 years. No big deal in your book right??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
April 3, 201115 yr If this UK team was 2-6 on the road in this version of the SEC, how would they have done night in and night out in the Big East where a 2 weeks losing streak happenes to just about everyone at some point? They would have been in a similar position as UConn who needed a big run in the tournament to find themselves. I have gone over Pitt on numerous occasions. They are built to win the conference, but outside of the team with Blair and Young they just don't have the type of talent to win in the tournament. I thought maybe Ashton Gibbs could be that type of guy, but he hasn't progressed from last year to this year like I thought he might. They are built to withstand the grind, but are just not going to overwhelm you with talent in a one and out format. Boeheim is the one coach that has gone after more of the one and done talents than anyone in the league, and a couple times it has resulted in being on the outside looking in on Selection Sunday. Plus his title was before the league expanded teams and went to 18 games. Guys like Donte Green killed team chemistry and caused a season to implode. The injury to Onuaku last year killed his best chance at a deep run since expansion... UK handled two of the better teams in the Big East rather easily even before SEC play started. Sure they would have struggled some but I don't think it would have hindered progress much. Anywho. Pitt recruits and builds their team around playing well in the Big East instead of playing for a national title? Am I missing something here? And you are defending how they recruit? I don't get it. A guy like Wanamaker is a real good college player but far from a guy who can lead you to a titlle. Rick Pitino and Jay Wright sure goes after one and done guys. As far as Kemba goes, he was a diamond in the rough. #14th rated PG coming out of high school doesn't sit on the bench and learn a little bit and all of the sudden turn into the most dominating player in the game in two years. He's a special player. You would know better than I but I would bet almost any kid with 5 stars next to his name has NBA on his mind. Good luck convincing 5 star guys to come to your school and sit the bench the first year.
April 3, 201115 yr As far as Kemba goes, he was a diamond in the rough. #14th rated PG coming out of high school doesn't sit on the bench and learn a little bit and all of the sudden turn into the most dominating player in the game in two years. He's a special player. Kemba was ranked #14 overall in the class. How is that a diamond in the rough? He was the star PG on a prominent AAU program and at a legendary NYC high school. He was also behind AJ Price as a freshman and took a back seat to Dyson and Robinson as a sophomore at UConn. Who were the one and dones for Jay Wright? 5 stars like Scottie Reynolds, Corey Fisher, Corey Stokes, Malik Wayns and Mtouph Yarou? I'll let you look up which ones left after one year and get back to me. And who said they sat the bench? They just weren't asked to be stars right away...
April 3, 201115 yr Kemba was ranked #14 overall in the class. How is that a diamond in the rough? He was the star PG on a prominent AAU program and at a legendary NYC high school. He was also behind AJ Price as a freshman and took a back seat to Dyson and Robinson as a sophomore at UConn. Who were the one and dones for Jay Wright? 5 stars like Scottie Reynolds, Corey Fisher, Corey Stokes, Malik Wayns and Mtouph Yarou? I'll let you look up which ones left after one year and get back to me. And who said they sat the bench? They just weren't asked to be stars right away... Very true.
April 4, 201115 yr Kemba was ranked #14 overall in the class. How is that a diamond in the rough? He was the star PG on a prominent AAU program and at a legendary NYC high school. He was also behind AJ Price as a freshman and took a back seat to Dyson and Robinson as a sophomore at UConn. Who were the one and dones for Jay Wright? 5 stars like Scottie Reynolds, Corey Fisher, Corey Stokes, Malik Wayns and Mtouph Yarou? I'll let you look up which ones left after one year and get back to me. And who said they sat the bench? They just weren't asked to be stars right away... Oh, read that post about him being #14 wrong my bad. Cal has had no choice but to ask his freshman to be stars right away since he has been at UK and it's worked out pretty well. There is no doubt having veterans and experience is vital to winning a title but having elite talent is just as important.
April 4, 201115 yr Oh, read that post about him being #14 wrong my bad. Cal has had no choice but to ask his freshman to be stars right away since he has been at UK and it's worked out pretty well. There is no doubt having veterans and experience is vital to winning a title but having elite talent is just as important. And what I'm saying is that is a very dangerous recipe if you have to put a resume together for the tournament playing a Big East schedule. What I think is playing out is that there is a delicate balance between building a team that can handle that but is also built for a one and done tournament setting. Veterans know how to grind out wins in league play. In tournament games it is almost always talent that prevails...
April 4, 201115 yr And what I'm saying is that is a very dangerous recipe if you have to put a resume together for the tournament playing a Big East schedule. What I think is playing out is that there is a delicate balance between building a team that can handle that but is also built for a one and done tournament setting. Veterans know how to grind out wins in league play. In tournament games it is almost always talent that prevails... Right, I follow you. It seems to be an extremely delicate balance. If you are picking grinding out league wins vs tournament wins, you'd take tournament every time.
April 4, 201115 yr Right, I follow you. It seems to be an extremely delicate balance. If you are picking grinding out league wins vs tournament wins, you'd take tournament every time. Except when you finish 8-10 in the league and miss the tournament...
April 4, 201115 yr Except when you finish 8-10 in the league and miss the tournament... Just win the conference tournament
April 4, 201115 yr Just win the conference tournament UConn could have gone 8-10 and still made it. OOC wins like UK, Texas and Michigan State will do that for you...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.