Newport Central Catholic/Notre Dame Predictions

If I'm Coach L(NDA's version) I work on making sure that I cut off Kiernan when she comes from the far post/foul line to the near post. You now know it's coming so defend it. If you make it a priority to stop you can stop NCC.

Easier said than done.

Mr Dawn was standing next to me during the NDA/Ryle game...you can best believe he's going to pressure from the start after seeing how effective it was late in that game. NDA will spend the next 2 days working on the press-break and staying out of traps...count on it!

I really liked NDA's composure and how relaxed they were for being so young. If they can handle the ball-pressure they'll win in a close one, but if they get shaky like last night they'll lose in a close one.

NCC's pressure D will tell the tale. Are ND's guards Jr's and Sr's. If they are young it will be hard for them to handle. I would always want my guards to have talent first but talent and experience is invaluable. Pressure D is as much mentally taxing as it is physically. I like NCC by 8-12 points

unless ND can break the press and get easy baskets to finish it. If they do that

NCC's pressure D will tell the tale. Are ND's guards Jr's and Sr's. If they are young it will be hard for them to handle. I would always want my guards to have talent first but talent and experience is invaluable. Pressure D is as much mentally taxing as it is physically. I like NCC by 8-12 points

unless ND can break the press and get easy baskets to finish it. If they do that

When Ryle started pressing, I thought ND was having a hard time. Didn't think they had very good ball handlers. Just my opinion. I was really impressed with #15 for ND. Apologize on forgetting name. I also thought Lizzy coming off bench was an excellent spark for ND. Should be a good game.

Does the type of first round game that each team had factor in at all? ND had a highly emotional battle where the first 7 players saw most of the minutes while NCC was able to rest the starters for almost half of the game. I'm not sure that fatigue is a huge issue but the floor is longer than the players are used to and one team spent much more energy in their game than the other.

NCC plays much better defense than Ryle but if ND shoots like they did in this game it won't matter. ND did let Ryle get to the basket time after time in the second half. All by just driving to the right. It was strange to see it happen that many times.

After watching the first NCC/NDA match up this season, if NDA can cover Kiernan and deny her the ball, they will win this game.

The last time these two met, NDA made it way to easy for Kiernan to post up and get the ball. Once she got on the low block with the ball (or in the middle of the lane), NDA was done, she either scored or got fouled.

After watching Coach L in action last night. I think she will gear her defense to deny Kiernan the ball and take her chances with the other NCC players beating her.

I'll say NDA by 10.

NDA 66 NCC 56

Does the type of first round game that each team had factor in at all? ND had a highly emotional battle where the first 7 players saw most of the minutes while NCC was able to rest the starters for almost half of the game. I'm not sure that fatigue is a huge issue but the floor is longer than the players are used to and one team spent much more energy in their game than the other.

I don't think it will matter because they will have a 3 day break. However NDA is going to have a lot of confidence coming off of a huge win against Ryle and that could carry over into the game.

After watching the first NCC/NDA match up this season, if NDA can cover Kiernan and deny her the ball, they will win this game.

The last time these two met, NDA made it way to easy for Kiernan to post up and get the ball. Once she got on the low block with the ball (or in the middle of the lane), NDA was done, she either scored or got fouled.

After watching Coach L in action last night. I think she will gear her defense to deny Kiernan the ball and take her chances with the other NCC players beating her.

I'll say NDA by 10.

NDA 66 NCC 56

First meeting it was Kiernan in the first half and the outside shooters for NCC in the second half. Very tough team to defend unless you cover all the bases, similar to how NDA covered Ryle last ngiht.

First meeting it was Kiernan in the first half and the outside shooters for NCC in the second half. Very tough team to defend unless you cover all the bases, similar to how NDA covered Ryle last ngiht.

Perhaps you are correct, I just kept thinking the whole time if they could deny Kiernan the ball, NDA would be a lot better off.

Hopefully NDA shoots and plays as well as they did against Ryle. This should be a good semi final match up.