Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Holy Cross @ Cov Cath - Predictions (2/4)

Featured Replies

Should be a good one.

 

Holy Cross coming off back-to-back wins against Beechwood and Campbell Co each by 2 points.

 

Cov Cath coming off a 7 pt loss at Scott on Monday.

 

Can HC finally break through and beat the Colonels?

Should be an extremely good game but I expect the Colonels to prevail at home.

 

In reality, this game means nothing since Holmes has already wrapped up the #1 seed and both of these teams are playing for the 2 or 3 seed.

  • Author

Great point Walter - you are correct, game doesn't mean anything as far as seeding for the district tourney goes but I think it means something mentally for the HC kids. If they can break through and finally get a win over the Colonels, it would give them the confidence come district time knowing they have beaten them. Another loss this Friday and they may be wondering if they really can beat them come district play.

I think it'll be interesting to see how Covcath handles the HC press. Holy Cross has improved tremendously throughout the year.

Great point Walter - you are correct, game doesn't mean anything as far as seeding for the district tourney goes but I think it means something mentally for the HC kids. If they can break through and finally get a win over the Colonels, it would give them the confidence come district time knowing they have beaten them. Another loss this Friday and they may be wondering if they really can beat them come district play.

 

Who knows what the losing streak is currently? If KHSAA scoreboard is right, I have 16 in a row dating back to our last win over CovCath on 1/4/2000 (Dan Trame's 1st season as Head Coach), score 56-54. Is this right?

Who knows what the losing streak is currently? If KHSAA scoreboard is right, I have 16 in a row dating back to our last win over CovCath on 1/4/2000, score 56-54. Is this right?

 

This is correct. Coach L has not lost to HC in his 10 years as coach. Tieman was the coach in 00.

Who knows what the losing streak is currently? If KHSAA scoreboard is right, I have 16 in a row dating back to our last win over CovCath on 1/4/2000 (Dan Trame's 1st season as Head Coach), score 56-54. Is this right?

 

I think you're correct.

 

I'd be more interested to see how many of those games were within 5 points.

I think you're correct.

 

I'd be more interested to see how many of those games were within 5 points.

 

The answer is 2. An overtime loss by two on 1/18/2005 and a four-point loss two seasons ago at CovCath.

  • Author

It will be interesting to see how this game unfolds. CC's strong inside game against HC's pressing full court defense and strong guard play. If Cov Cath handles the press I think it will be difficult for the Indians unless they get hot from the 3 and knock down some shots in the half-court. Thelen should have another big game inside. McClendon and Burger must have big nights for HC to win.

It will be interesting to see how this game unfolds. CC's strong inside game against HC's pressing full court defense and strong guard play. If Cov Cath handles the press I think it will be difficult for the Indians unless they get hot from the 3 and knock down some shots in the half-court. Thelen should have another big game inside. McClendon and Burger must have big nights for HC to win.

 

The scoring line from the Scott-CovCath game appears that the Eagles guarded the 3 since CovCath did not hit one, let Thelen get his (36) and have hot shooting nights from your guards. I do not condone that game plan in its entirety, but whatever works to get the win. Again, it comes down to the teams' styles of play and matchups.

  • Author

I was at the Scott/Cov Cath game and from my perspective it wasn't like Scott sold out entirely to guard the 3 any more then they normally would. I think it was more that Cov Cath doesn't have the guard play and guys who can consistently knock down shots from the 3 pt line. Also, Scott's quick guards in Smith and Haynes had a lot to do with Cov Cath not getting any open looks from. Thelen is good enough to get his points no matter what defense is out there IMO.

I was at the Scott/Cov Cath game and from my perspective it wasn't like Scott sold out entirely to guard the 3 any more then they normally would. I think it was more that Cov Cath doesn't have the guard play and guys who can consistently knock down shots from the 3 pt line. Also, Scott's quick guards in Smith and Haynes had a lot to do with Cov Cath not getting any open looks from. Thelen is good enough to get his points no matter what defense is out there IMO.

 

I have always said that statistics do not always tell the whole story. I am glad that someone who went to the game was able to comment and set me straight. :thumb:

CovCath by 7

Don't sell the CCH guards short. Of course they don't have a John Wall but they handled the pressure against Scott well, they didn't force any ill-advised shots from the outside and they pounded the ball inside with their 3 big's underneath. If CCH hits their FT's the game is not 7 points in favor of Scott. Thelen missed 2 FT's when CCH was down by 3 with about one minute left in the game. After he missed the FT's, CCH was forced to foul Scott which ended up the differential of 7 points. If HC can stop Thelen, Connolly and Baker from scoring at will they should win. The CCH guards have never controlled or been expected to dominate in the scoring column all year. From what I understand and have seen, that's all that HC has is an outside game. This is the same HC team that just beat Beechwood by 2 in OT at HC. I predict CCH will win by 10 points because of their inside game.

Don't sell the CCH guards short. Of course they don't have a John Wall but they handled the pressure against Scott well, they didn't force any ill-advised shots from the outside and they pounded the ball inside with their 3 big's underneath. If CCH hits their FT's the game is not 7 points in favor of Scott. Thelen missed 2 FT's when CCH was down by 3 with about one minute left in the game. After he missed the FT's, CCH was forced to foul Scott which ended up the differential of 7 points. If HC can stop Thelen, Connolly and Baker from scoring at will they should win. The CCH guards have never controlled or been expected to dominate in the scoring column all year. From what I understand and have seen, that's all that HC has is an outside game. This is the same HC team that just beat Beechwood by 2 in OT at HC. I predict CCH will win by 10 points because of their inside game.

 

And the same HC team that beat Beechwood by 29 in the All "A" over at NewCath. Which HC team shows up? Hopefully for them, the one that does not shy away at adversity, plays like men, and plays as a team. I expect this game to be a battle and I am confident it will be a closer game than most expect.

Edited by statman

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.