NCC 47 St. Henry 39

NCC was up by 11 at the half and St. Henry come out hot and played great defense and pretty much dominated the 3rd quarter. NCC got their act together after St. Henry took the lead and made a couple layups and some free throws down the stretch. The difference in this one was the freshman Kiernan she had around 15 points and 6 blocks or so I do not know the exact numbers, but she was a force when she got her touches.

9th Region All 'A' Classic at Erlanger

Newport CC.....11 13 7 16 47

St. Henry........10 3 13 13 39

Newport Central Catholic (8-3) -- Thiem 9, Bartels 11, Fryer 6, Muench 4, Kiernan 17.

St. Henry (13-3) -- O'Daniel 6, Fugate 5, Bauer 4, Gamm 11, Janszen 11, Knaley 2.

It was a great game. Congratulations to NCC. They are a strong and powerful team. My Daddy always said, "Defense wins games." NCC had some unrelentless defense. I wish them the best for the remainder of the All "A".

But WOW! Those St Henry girls made me so proud! Each individual player had an amazing intensity that was refreshing to see. They really poured on the heat to get that lead. Game changing moment IMO was when Taylor Gamm quicky picked up her 3rd and 4th foul with in a 10 second time frame. That just zapped the wind out their sails. Still do not know how the third one was a foul, when she was passing the ball with both hands?

Looking forward to enjoying this incredibly athletic group play out the rest of their season. Go Lady Cru!

Also it was a very physical game the refs really let them play.

I know this has been a common theme in NKY this yr when NewCath plays. I hope the other Region refs will see it the same way. If not then NewCath is going to have some problems.. JMO.

Their Offense is dependent on their smoothering Defense which creates turnovers and then "easy layups". Not questioning, just not sure the rest of the state will take to this physical style of play. I like it though, Good Luck to the Breds.

I was impressed with St. Henry, tall athletic girls that can handle the ball and good passers. Really out played NCC most of the game until the last 2 minutes. Even when they were down 11 they were executing their offense well, they just couldn't finish. I believe the physical play of NCC is really something that is intimidating to most teams. It gives them a mental advantage.

In the last couple of minutes you could tell that experience was important, these seniors have won the region every year and the state title last year. As well as a coach that has been in many of those games.

It was a great game. Congratulations to NCC. They are a strong and powerful team. My Daddy always said, "Defense wins games." NCC had some unrelentless defense. I wish them the best for the remainder of the All "A".

But WOW! Those St Henry girls made me so proud! Each individual player had an amazing intensity that was refreshing to see. They really poured on the heat to get that lead. Game changing moment IMO was when Taylor Gamm quicky picked up her 3rd and 4th foul with in a 10 second time frame. That just zapped the wind out their sails. Still do not know how the third one was a foul, when she was passing the ball with both hands?

Looking forward to enjoying this incredibly athletic group play out the rest of their season. Go Lady Cru!

No doubt in my mind that the turning point was the foul called on St Henry with about the 3 min remaining in the game. St Henry was leading 37 - 33 and had NCC back on their heels. Gamm drove the lane, made a great decision to pass the ball to an open O'Daniel making a layup while getting hammered by the NCC defense. St Henry crowd and players go crazy thinking they have extended the lead to 6 and maybe 7 pts. As players headed to "line-up" for the free throw, referee calls Gamm for a charge on what appeared from the stands as little to no contact and a great offensive play. Then within 10 seconds, Gamm gets calls for another foul (her 4th) which effectively took her out of the game defensively. This Offensive foul was 1 of 4 questionable Offensive Charging calls that went against the Cru. No sour grapes, just was not impressed with the officiating last night. Congratulations to NCC on a hard fought victory, I will be rooting for them to bring home the State Title !!

I wasn't at the game, but that does sound like a huge moment in the game. If that foul isn't called and St Heney goes up 7 who knows what happens from there. We all have to live with the calls the refs make though iI think they are right more than they are wrong most nights. It would have been interesting to see how both teams would have responded if that call wasn't made. Basketball is a game that rides on momentum. Would the St henry girls ridden that spark to victory or would NCC been able to stay focused and still fought back or would they have folded under the pressure. We'll never Know but I do Know coach Dawn keeps his girls focused and always gives them a chance in the end. Not being there I didn't get to see the play but I'm going to guess the charge was taken by #5 Hannah Theim. She is well scooled at this and I have seen her to it time and again, often changing the flow of the game.

I wasn't at the game, but that does sound like a huge moment in the game.

I would agree that sounds like a huge moment. I'm surprised the Enquirer's article on the game didn't mention that momentum swing. If my math is correct, up until that point in the game, St. Henry had outscored NCC 24-9 in the 2nd half. From that point on NCC outscored St. Henry 14-2. What happened in the last 3 minutes? Did NCC's press create a lot of turnovers down the stretch?

Yes they got a basket then Dawn called a timeout and started to press. For whatever reason NCC didn't press for much of the game but when they did they were very effective. I believe that moment of the game your numbers are off a bit, the score was 35-33 and that foul would have been to go up 4 with a chance to go up 5 but instead it went the other way. It was not to go up 7 i do not believe.