Newport Central Catholic 34 Highlands 22

I don't know if I'd want to admit sitting through this one. Coach Richey could put 56 on the board by herself.

Sorry, but Not against this NC defense she wouldnt. This isnt your Fathers Highlands or NC teams of old or Girls basketball. These are athletic kids that dont move, play or act like Ladies at times. Yes, I just described Ms Richey back in the day but guess what, the game has caught up to the times and the days of one athlete single handling a whole team and scoring 56 is over. Especially say the top 5 or 6 teams in NKY. Better conditioned, better coached and prepared and in the end better athletes as a whole.

Now to the game, this was a war. The referees let em play. And when I say let em play, they beat the heck outta one another, and thats ok imo as long as nobody gets seriously hurt.

I know Dawn coaches his girls at a different level and he gets the most out of them or else. Just the way it is when you play for Coach Dawn.

They played a very, very tough Zone in your face defense against HHS with a chaser on HHS scoring threat Schaeffer. Result, 22 pts for HHS.

HHS was just as effective with their Defense but caught in screens 3 or 4 times and NC made the 3's. The difference in the game. Coach Richey had a nice game plan as well, result NC 34 pts.

This was a great game to watch with a great crowd in attendance and they got their moneys worth.

This will be a dandy District re-match with Highlands winning it. JMO. Go Birds.

Edited by Sweeperboy

Did Allie Conner play? She seems to be the Birds "main spark". By that I mean, with her, the Birds can compete in the 9th region upper echelon...without her, they seem pedestrian. And ANY team Ron Dawn coaches is going to be a tough, scrappy team. Congrats to NCC.

Conner is out. Has not played in a few weeks. Won't disclose injury for obvious reasons. She will be back in a week or so.

NewCath was clearly the better team and deserved the win yesterday. For those that dont know, its one of those rivalrys that you throw the records out the window and teams come to play. Great game to watch, I know the Boone Cty girls were in attendance, smart move by Coach Fookes imo, she knows that it was going to be a battle and she has her team there to let them see that both teams on any one night can cause the big dog problems if you dont take care of business. JMO.

Nope, great Defense on both ends of the floor. Absolutely nothing inside for either team as both teams executed the zone to perfection. Highlands hit nothing from the perimeter and NewCath hit 3 or 4 threes and a few other shots. Actually most of the games points came off of turnovers during the press and steals, all for easy layups.

Highlands missed a bunch from the free throw line. Would not have won it, but maybe a 4 pt loss instead of 12.