Covington Catholic 67 Conner 54

A coach calling a play is the way a lot of teams operate. I've always wondered why a play has to be called every time down the court. What are teams doing in practice? I think kids at the high school level are capable of looking at a defense and knowing what plays or what their options are based a particular defense. It seems to me unless there is a break right off the in bounds most kids are looking at the bench for what to do next trip down. Let the kid's play a little bit. I know there are times the coach needs to step in and call something, but every time down the floor?? :confused:

Its like coaches can no longer teach their team on how to play basketball. It seems all they do these days in practice is teach them to run plays.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plays have their place and are neccesary at times, but good ball players play basketball. I have seen guys passing up scoring opportunites because it was not in the play. I have seen that several times. I also realize all of Conner's losses were to good programs, but Conner was the preseason number one and have been waxed twice. They really need the win at Ryle on Friday.

Plays have their place and are neccesary at times, but good ball players play basketball. I have seen guys passing up scoring opportunites because it was not in the play. I have seen that several times. I also realize all of Conner's losses were to good programs, but Conner was the preseason number one and have been waxed twice. They really need the win at Ryle on Friday.

Are you saying that Coach Hicks would get on players for passing up legit scoring opportunities? Isn't that the purpose of the play?

Then chances are they're just not good ball players.

I did predict a Conner win. But said I wouldn't be surprised if Covcath won. :D

Colonels inside game was obviously the difference and I see that being the case in a lot of games this year. You and I talked about Baker, Thelen, and Connelly after the X game and I told you how impressed I was with the size and presence of those three. They definetly didn't disappoint in this one either.

Guess I gave Coach Hicks and Conner a little too much respect, and not enough for Coach L and his bunch. :thumb:

I'm just messing with you. But, that being said, a lot of people underestimate the home court advantage at CCH. Also, who could predict Baker's performance. It will stand for a long, long time as the single greatest performances by a player in a CovCath uniform. He was 3 assists away from being a story on ESPN in my opinion. No one could remember a CCH triple double. Add 7 assists, wow.

Then chances are they're just not good ball players.

I would hope that if you wish to keep any credibility you are using that opportunity to take a shot and not stating your honest opinion. Conner has some very good players. They will work the bugs out over the holiday and come back strong.

The last player that I can think of who even had a shot at a triple-double would be Brennan Votel. CovCathiRadio, were you covering the team then / keeping stats? I recall he had 20+ rebounds in a game, but have no idea if he sniffed double-digits in blocks (or steals).

He had 25 boards against Boone. Probably had double-digit points but nowhere near in other categories.

I would hope that if you wish to keep any credibility you are using that opportunity to take a shot and not stating your honest opinion. Conner has some very good players. They will work the bugs out over the holiday and come back strong.

The point I believe he was trying to make is that, if Eyes and Ears is correct that boys are passing up good looks because it's not somehow part of the "play, they're not smart players basketball-IQ wise. I didn't really notice any "good looks" that were not taken by the Cougars.

I know nothing about Conner's team this year. I was speaking in general terms. If players run a play, get open & passes up a wide open look because it's not "part of the play", then chances are they're not a very good player (or the coach has a stranglehold on the team.)

If I remember in the pre season talks I may have predicted Baker would be a good one. He showed much of this ability, blocking and great shooting, last year but I agree no where near ESPN stuff. Great to see the young man getting his due.

I agree CC. I misunderstood your post. I can't say I actually remember any passed up opportunites, but I did see Conner struggle offensively once again. They are a very good team full of talent and I truely believe they will pull it together. I think what is scaring the Conner faithful (including myslef) is the fact they return 7 seniors and seem to have no chemistry.

I agree CC. I misunderstood your post. I can't say I actually remember any passed up opportunites, but I did see Conner struggle offensively once again. They are a very good team full of talent and I truely believe they will pull it together. I think what is scaring the Conner faithful (including myslef) is the fact they return 7 seniors and seem to have no chemistry.

:thumb:

I'm curious. Did they play much together over the summer?