Covington Catholic 67 Conner 54

Plays have their place and are neccesary at times, but good ball players play basketball. I have seen guys passing up scoring opportunites because it was not in the play. I have seen that several times. I also realize all of Conner's losses were to good programs, but Conner was the preseason number one and have been waxed twice. They really need the win at Ryle on Friday.

Plays provide player and ball movement, screens, etc., which create scoring opportunities, which put points on the scoreboard, which win games. When that high prcentage shooting opportunity presents itself the offense is over. You don't get style points for running offenses, so I hardly doubt that Coach Hicks actually has his team pass up good shots in favor of offensive execution. HOWEVER, he may want them to be patient and not take the first shot that comes along IF they can work for a higher percentage shot.

How many times do you hear over-zealous counter-productive parents or fans shouting from the stands - Shoot!!! Shoot!!! Shooting those first-opportunity shots is a recipe for disaster. Hicks has been around forever, he knows the score. Give him the benefit of the doubt - he knows his team, their abilities and what will work for them over the long haul. Remember first and foremost, that basketball is a game of match-ups, and I suspect that Conner didn't match up very well with the Colonels on Tuesday night.

All teams have a base offense - a motion game or passing game that they fall back to IF the quick hitter play is not productive or breaks down. Some teams actually do, at times, allow their team to create on their own. I used to call it "Junk." For bigger teams a missed shot is not a bad thing and "rebound-stickback" becomes the primary offense. Brossart used that a lot back when Troy Cooper roamed the paint for us in '07. I have seen teams that coaches bog down with over-emphasis on running a myriad of plays. I have a couple of old sayings that I fell back on during my coaching days - "The More I Think, The Slower My Feet Move" and KISS - "Keep it simple, stupid." Worked for me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The last player that I can think of who even had a shot at a triple-double would be Brennan Votel. CovCathiRadio, were you covering the team then / keeping stats? I recall he had 20+ rebounds in a game, but have no idea if he sniffed double-digits in blocks (or steals).

Come on ColonelCrazy you had to put up those kind of numbers

Come on ColonelCrazy you had to put up those kind of numbers

Now, now leave my man CC alone. :D :lol:

Honestly, what CC did and what Baker did in their Junior years was amazing, both in gaining experience in playing the game but even more so in how they both accepted the challenge from their Coach to improve their game. Honestly CC, last year I even told Baker about you and how much you meant to the team the following year!