December 15, 201015 yr Once again it was a nice move but they needed bullpen help and offensive help. I think they were better off Werth and having Ibanez not play much. Once again...What do you want them to do? Werth was not resigning, and Crawford wasn't going there either. The Reds need a LF'er and SS but they aren't going to get one. You can't always upgrade positions you need, for a number of reasons. Their options were pretty limited to upgrade their offense and bullpen. Like I've already said they are easily in the top 4, as far as lineups go in the NL. Probably better than that. With this move they EASILY have the best rotation in the entire league.
December 15, 201015 yr Once again...What do you want them to do? Werth was not resigning, and Crawford wasn't going there either. The Reds need a LF'er and SS but they aren't going to get one. You can't always upgrade positions you need, for a number of reasons. Their options were pretty limited to upgrade their offense and bullpen. Like I've already said they are easily in the top 4, as far as lineups go in the NL. Probably better than that. With this move they EASILY have the best rotation in the entire league. So they couldn't have given Werth money but they had enough for Lee?
December 15, 201015 yr Author So they couldn't have given Werth money but they had enough for Lee? Who is worth $100 Mil + Lee or Werth?
December 15, 201015 yr So they couldn't have given Werth money but they had enough for Lee? Werth had no desire to return to Philly. That's what I'm saying.
December 15, 201015 yr Werth had no desire to return to Philly. That's what I'm saying. Why? I heard he was told they weren't paying him what he wanted.
December 15, 201015 yr Who is worth $100 Mil + Lee or Werth? Neither, but for sure not a 32 year old pitcher who was recently in the minors.
December 15, 201015 yr Why? I heard he was told they weren't paying him what he wanted. Because he's not worth what he wanted. You'd think a team with so many 'holes' on offense would have tried a little harder to bring back their best player from the year before. But yet, Philly made no effort to resign him. The management over their knows what it's doing.
December 15, 201015 yr Author Neither, but for sure not a 32 year old pitcher who was recently in the minors. He is worth it more than Werth that is for sure.
December 15, 201015 yr Because he's not worth what he wanted. You'd think a team with so many 'holes' on offense would have tried a little harder to bring back their best player from the year before. But yet, Philly made no effort to resign him. The management over their knows what it's doing. Yeah, like giving Ryan Howard $25 million a year from ages 32-36 ...
December 15, 201015 yr Because he's not worth what he wanted. You'd think a team with so many 'holes' on offense would have tried a little harder to bring back their best player from the year before. But yet, Philly made no effort to resign him. The management over their knows what it's doing. How many times do I need to say it was a good move? They got beat in the playoffs because they couldn't score. Their bullpen isn't that good either. If they knew exactly what they were doing why did they trade him last offseason saying they couldn't afford his next deal? Having money to throw around doesn't mean you know exactly what you're doing.
December 15, 201015 yr Yeah, like giving Ryan Howard $25 million a year from ages 32-36 ... A lot better than giving Werth 21 million a year from ages 36-38 ... Still waiting on those lineups, btw ...
December 15, 201015 yr A lot better than giving Werth 21 million a year from ages 36-38 ... Still waiting on those lineups, btw ... I didn't say anything about who was and wasn't better ... I only said the Phillies' lineup is in decline. Do you disagree with that statement?
December 15, 201015 yr How many times do I need to say it was a good move? They got beat in the playoffs because they couldn't score. Their bullpen isn't that good either. If they knew exactly what they were doing why did they trade him last offseason saying they couldn't afford his next deal? Having money to throw around doesn't mean you know exactly what you're doing. So they got Halladay in a deal without giving up their best prospect (Brown)...then turn around and resign the major piece of that trade in a year (Lee). Yeah, sounds like they have no idea what's going on... :lol:
December 15, 201015 yr I didn't say anything about who was and wasn't better ... I only said the Phillies' lineup is in decline. Do you disagree with that statement? Currently? No, I don't think it's in decline. In 2-3 years it will be if they stand pat.
December 16, 201015 yr Currently? No, I don't think it's in decline. In 2-3 years it will be if they stand pat. Ruiz had a career year at age 31. Rollins may bounce back, but he hasn't hit since 2008. Ibanez is 38 and in decline. Polanco is 35 and in decline. Victorino is still a decent player, but he is 30 and will likely start to lose some of his production. Howard, who averaged nearly 50 homers per season from 2006-09, hit 31 a year ago. All indications are that the lineup is in decline.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.