Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Corbin vs. Whitley County finally happening?

Featured Replies

I was told today that Corbin has extended an invite to play Whitley County in the Pigskin Classic next season at Corbin. It's said that Whitley will accept the invitation as long as Corbin travels to Williamsburg next year to return the favor.

 

This is great news and long overdue if true. Anyone else hearing this?

 

The only thing that I think could hold this up is future scheduling and whether Corbin is locked into any commitments. With this being in a bowl game, it could possibly throw a wrench into the return game. I say make it happen by any means necessary!

I have not heard anything. I am a Colonel fan who follows them. I agree this would be great not sure if it will happen but I hope it will. Coach Black likes a good rivalry!

I recall hearing that Corbin was trying to increase the gate by inviting more local teams. This game would be a good one to have on the regular schedule and should be a natural rivalry.

I was told today that Corbin has extended an invite to play Whitley County in the Pigskin Classic next season at Corbin. It's said that Whitley will accept the invitation as long as Corbin travels to Williamsburg next year to return the favor.

 

This is great news and long overdue if true. Anyone else hearing this?

 

The only thing that I think could hold this up is future scheduling and whether Corbin is locked into any commitments. With this being in a bowl game, it could possibly throw a wrench into the return game. I say make it happen by any means necessary!

 

I'm not sure how they could possibly play a return game the next year due to having 2 year commitments on scheduling, maybe have a home and home starting in 2013. I would think that Whitley Co. would play Corbin in the Pigskin Classic though without a return game promise, if not, I don't think it will happen.

  • Author

I agree, I would assume Hazard and GRC go off the schedule next year and that Middlesboro would replace one of them. If Corbin could possibly get a team on the schedule for 1 year next season, it would open up a spot for Whitley. Maybe Lynn Camp would go for that one year deal.

I'm not sure how they could possibly play a return game the next year due to having 2 year commitments on scheduling, maybe have a home and home starting in 2013. I would think that Whitley Co. would play Corbin in the Pigskin Classic though without a return game promise, if not, I don't think it will happen.

 

That is what I was thinking the bowl is a 2 year committment.

A great thing if it happens, I am not surprised to see Jim Black be the Whitley coach who makes it happen since he played CHS when he was at Williamsburg. This should have been done years ago, along with Whitley/Williamsburg, Corbin/Lynn Camp, Knox Central/Whitley, South Laurel/Knox Central, North Laurel/Knox Central, Corbin/Bell (now a district game), Corbin/Knox Central, and you could even throw Middlesboro in the mix as they used to be a great rival for Corbin along with Somerset. There are great games that could be great rivalries if the teams played on a regular basis, and on the plus side travel expenses would go down and the local intrerest would go up.

 

I think that is one reason that attendence is down in H.S. sports around SEKY due to the loss of the natural rival games, that used to be played. I have never understood why certain schools and coaches don't want to play these local teams, but will travel all across the state to play weak sisters, while they have very challenging games within one hour of home.

I'll believe it when I see it scheduled. I'm not holding my breath.

I'll believe it when I see it scheduled. I'm not holding my breath.
soon

 

According to today's News Journal, Whitley has had the contract for a couple of weeks without signing it. Knox Central is in, Somerset is still considering and Whitley Co. is the other team offered to play in the Pigskin Classic. The Varsity Club stated that they will have to offer someone else if Whitley or Somerset do not sign soon.

Sommerset, if nothing has changed, is already in the rotation with Clay Co., Lynn Camp, and Knox Central in the Pioneer Bowl. I would love to see Knox Central play Whitley and Corbin in alternate years in the Pigskin. Guarantee KC will bring the crowd!

Knox Central has been opening the season recently in the Pioneer Bowl (rotated annually between KC and Lynn Camp), the Cumberland Valley Bowl (North and South Laurel), and the Alumni Bowl at Williamsburg. Surely they'll have to drop at least one. I think KC has advanced too far to be fair competition for Williamsburg so I would expect that contract to end.

Is corbin thinking about playing Rockcastle? I think they wil have some open dates. I remember we had some great games with them. who does corbin even play now? Are they playing Harlan Co?

Is corbin thinking about playing Rockcastle? I think they wil have some open dates. I remember we had some great games with them. who does corbin even play now? Are they playing Harlan Co?

 

Here is this year's schedule. District games are noted with an *

 

Aug. 27 - Harlan High (H)

Sept. 4 - Boyle County (H - Pigskin Classic)

Sept. 10 - North Laurel (A)

Sept. 17 - South Laurel (H)

Sept. 24 - Hazard (A)

Oct. 1 - George Rogers Clark (H)

Oct. 7 - Knott County Central (H)*

Oct. 15 - Leslie County (A)*

Oct. 22 - Middlesboro (A)*

Oct. 29 - Lexington Christian (H)

I am hearing that a Corbin vs Harlan County game is a possibility for next year but nothing has been signed. Harlan County apparently has lost several teams from this years schedule and are having trouble finding replacement games.

  • Author

I would obviously love to see Whitley on the schedule for local purposes but HCHS would be a heck of a new rivalry as well. My only hold up is Corbin is on the brink of developing too many rivalries.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.